Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sadez

e3dobject list

In the other forum we were discussing about the e3dobject list, map converting, switching to cal3d etc.

The last idea was from Cicero, and it consisted on merging the harvestable, entrable files with the model id and path, and then use the ids on the maps instead of the file names. Correct me or explain it again if I'm forgiving something or I'm wrong :P

There's also a new "heigth" that we must add..and that is "swimmable" Not sure exactly how to do this..but basically when you go in the water and hit a certain heigth your character would start the swim animation..same with some animals. Also some animals will have to be labeled as swimmers, because it would be stupid to see a rabbit in the middle of the ocean :P

I'm still trying to get a model to export from blender, for the cal3d thing..but i've been extremely busy these past few days(and more to come), so i haven't had time for it. So that's on a small halt right now.

And as for the objects all going into one big folder, I'm not sure if it is best to have them all in one folder(only for the 3dobjects & ground tiles with their textures), or to have them in 2 separate folders: 3dobjects, textures. It doesn't really matter either I guess...

Swimming? Can you drown?

Say for example, your food level drops to 0 then you're too tired to swim (just like you get too tired to harvest effectively) and you'll start losing 1 mat point every n seconds until you die or get out of the water.

COOL :blink::o:)

"You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message" :rolleyes:

And maybe the depth of the water (or distance from shore) starts applying "cold" damage. Just to put some danger into swimming. I'm thinking people might be able to swim to the new continent, but only if they're strong enough.

Or maybe "might" or some skill dictates how long you can be in the water before you start to drown.

And the inventory you're carrying could make a difference too. Some formula involving the weight you're carrying and your "might" skill could dictate how long you can swim for before you start drowning.

There's lots of fun things you could do with swimming. Make it a skill maybe; somehting to practice. Put islands out in the water, maybe with rare resources on them like mercury or enriched essence spawns, etc.

yes what you are carrying WILL influence how well you swim..or how fast you drown :D

I think the cold factor can come into play in the icelands.

heat too..if you're near a volcano er somethin hot :)

I know this is a bit off topic, but since we've already had one tangent subtopic about new animations -- how about some emote animations also :)

Like cheer, jump, run in place, wave, etc..

It'd be even more uber if I could trigger a silent emote animation (without the default text)

e.g.

:cheers like a mad fool.

#silent_emote joy

or something like that.. :D

-lai

If we get cal3d working, we can have some very nice, smooth, animations, and combinations of animations (like waving while running, limping, etc).

There's also a new "heigth" that we must add..and that is "swimmable" Not sure exactly how to do this..but basically when you go in the water and hit a certain heigth your character would start the swim animation..

Is this new height really necessary? Checking if the ground tile is water shouldn't be difficult. And we know where the water surface is (since it's always in the same place), and we have the height map. From that we get the depth of the water.

If we add a max walking depth value to each kind of person/animal/monster, you simply start to swim when the water gets deeper than that. That value would be a little lower for dwarves of course, so they start swimming closer to the shore. And very low for something like snakes (yes, snakes do swim).

The height is stored in a char and only 5 bits are used (32 heights), we could expand it to 64 or 128 different heights and then use one bit to flag the tiles as water.

No we can't. The other bits are used by the server for other things.

Anyway, soon I will come up with the protocols for the changing objects on the map and such. Basically we will have the following things:

1. Remove all objects of this type from the map, temporary.

2. Remove all objects of this type from the map permanently

3. Remove all the object of this type from this area (x,y,x2,y2) temporarly/permanently

4. Replace all object of this type (map, area, temproarly, permanently) with this object

5. Add this object at this corodinates (temporarly/permanently)

6. Replace object ID (as in the index in the map) with this object. (pem/temp)

7. Remove ------------------------------------------- (perm/temp)

8. Rotate objects around.

etc.

The height is stored in a char and only 5 bits are used (32 heights), we could expand it to 64 or 128 different heights and then use one bit to flag the tiles as water.

The point is, the client already knows that the tile is water. It needs to know that to be able to draw it. And since the server uses the same map file, it should know too.

Umm, no, the client can't really know that tile is water. I mean, what if you put a bridge over some water tile?

It's still water, but the heigh-map is above the surface, so you don't swim. You only swim when the water depth (surface height - height map) > max walking depth.

Even Jesus didn't swim when he was walking on the water (height map = water surface) :)