Eternal Lands Official Forums
vinoveritas

make traffic between El client and Server ssl protected

We where just talking about Internet Security in my Guild, and the topic came to the unencrypted way the chat and rest of protocol is send to the server. would be a good Idea to think about something to make it a bit more protected like with a SSL that covers the server and client traffic through the internet.

Oh yes please!! And same goes for this forum too! Everything, including login credentials, is sent unencrypted. :ph34r: These days it can't be cost issue, thanks to LE. I might be able to help, if any help is needed.

--Vis

+1. Game passwords are also sent unencrypted. I have no idea how much overhead thus would cause, though.

Edited by Grum

Well if there is an SSL encryption between client and server, that would protect the passwords too.

thanks to libraries its not to hard to secure. an nice example is https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Simple_TLS_Server.

Since the Game can use One Certificates and so on, the costs of having a SSL connection is almost 0 the overhead is negligible.

The win in security is incredible high. and you even can have connections that are secured and not secured if you do not want to throw out all those bots etc that might not have it implemented right away. after it is done.