Eternal Lands Official Forums
SunriseCoder

Elch - Eternal Lands Chat-only client

Crashed on the first try on my XP machine. Can I send you any error logs?

Just tried running it on my client's Windows 7 machine. As with on Linux, it logs into the test server fine but crashes when trying to log into the main server.

Could it be related to the length of the welcome message? It (seems) to crash during receiving the welcome message, which on the test server is quite a short message (just "Test server") but is much longer when logging into the main server.

EDIT:

The part of the welcome message I do get is:

"Hi, and welcome to Eternal Lands! If you're new to the game and"

Which happens to be, including a space after 'and', exactly 64 characters long.

Edited by Korrode

Just tried running it on my client's Windows 7 machine. As with on Linux, it logs into the test server fine but crashes when trying to log into the main server.

Could it be related to the length of the welcome message? It (seems) to crash during receiving the welcome message, which on the test server is quite a short message (just "Test server") but is much longer when logging into the main server.

Probably, because header of message (RAW_TEXT) is first byte is 0 (code of message type), then 2 bytes of message size... but on my computer everything OK.

I will try to add more logging function closer to weekend for logging crush reports to log file. A bit hot week at work, I'm tiring too much :(

Korrode, I also wanted ask You to post details instruction of preparing and running my client under Ubuntu using mono. I think, it can be useful not for me only.

heh I edited my last post while you were posting, looks to be related :)

I will, in the near future (sorry can't right now as I'm at a client's place, and even then I'm between houses at temporary accomodation atm, and don't have any of my computers readily available barring my notebook running Debian), provide some instructions for Ubuntu/Debian and I will probably put a package in Arch's AUR (making it very easy for Arch users to run it).

Edited by Korrode

New version (bug fix) released :)

At this version I fixed bug with DoubleClick on contact list, which crushed client if you have 0 contacts (buddies).

New version you can download >> HERE <<.

I trying to upload new versions to Wuala storage. You can always use >> THIS << link for shared folder with new versions.

If you will have any troubles with downloading, please notify me :)

PS. Main post updated :)

Edited by SunriseCoder

Sorry, I promised to do anything at end of previous week, but work week was very hard. I hope, this week will be more easy and I will have more free time.

I want to ask, what do you want more - for I continue developing Elch on C# and we have a lot of crushes while trying to run it under Linux or I start to port Elch to Java? I don't know Java so good for fast port, but I have good Java tutorial and reading it when I have a bit free time.

I want to know your opinion on this subject :)

First, it is CRASH not CRUSH.

Anyway, would be nice if you could at least add more debugging code so that you can see why it crashes on Linux. And I would continue it in C#, what's the point to switch to java?

First, it is CRASH not CRUSH.

Thank you for fix my mistake, I will remember it :)

Anyway, would be nice if you could at least add more debugging code so that you can see why it crashes on Linux.

Sure, I will.

And I would continue it in C#, what's the point to switch to java?

Java is more portable (cross-platform), run under Linux, Windows and even lot of mobile devices, such as smartphones, etc... And Java is free except of C# and other M$ stuff... And more stable than M$ products... And I want to learn Java :) Finally, I have a lot of reasons to switch on Java, just wanted to ask about does C# version need for support or not... As I can see - it need support and I will continue to develop C# version.

Today I started to clean crap from code and give sense names for variables, methods, classes, etc...

I made class diagram using Visual Studio, which you can see >> HERE << . All advices about code formatting and refactoring always welcome.

I renamed a lot of fields in MainForm class and move few data from one classes to other. Today I had know what this process calls 'Refactoring' :) I found one book about refactoring and started to read it. I don't know how much time it can take, but I try to do it fast. I need to refactoring all code at first before add new features.

Probably, some bugs will be fixed in process of refactoring. I have written that code very fast and can easy make any mistakes.

Reading book of refactoring is good with semi-afk harvesting Iron for Hydro bars for nexuses :)

Hi all!

Good news: I have finished most part of refactoring :)

I have found a lot of bugs, and have rewritten Core.

I think, the code became more clear and easier for reading.

I realized an Entropy's recommendation about logging crashes. All exceptions now catching and writing to

elch_error.log

Please test it a bit, and send me error logs if your client will crashes.

Now I'm thinking to realize clocks :)

I want to realize calculator too, but I don't know how to do it :( May be a bit later I will read EL sources and look for code.

You can download new version in same place: elch-0.0.2-alpha-r4.zip

Refactoring works wonders!!!

Next version ready. Added clocks.

I have few questions, not sure how to realize better?

I realized timer_tick event for tick each 1015 milliseconds for move clocks. I realized also synchronization with NEW_MINUTE ServerToClient message.

But... there is a problem: When I connect to server, server send me always NEW_MINUTE message, which can be send in 0:05:35 or 1:32:28, not 0:05:00 and 1:32:00 only. When I get this message, I start new minute, timer resets to start new minute, time going. When come new minute, timer show 0:05:25 and then 0:06:00 - it's not good. May be I should to use SYNC_CLOCK message for synchronize clocks when client connect, but I don't understand how to interpret SYNC_CLOCK message data.

Now time to download and test it >> HERE << - version elch-0.0.2-alpha-r5.zip

All advices and suggestions are welcome.

Time to think about calculator.

UPD. Class Diagram also updated

Edited by SunriseCoder

Okay, firstly, i find this great!

I can now talk to friends within EL as if it isn't even a game... Before, i was not going on EL as much because i would have to be sitting there not doing anything (due to being busy doing something else online), while getting hungry if i am not wearing grey cape, now i can go onto this and talk without any worrys. :)

However i'm a little unsure about which one to download..? I first downloaded one at the top, works and is great but should i have moved onto the other ones now? Thx, any help is help. :)

Well, I downloaded the latest version (5).

This is worse than the first version..

I can't type anything after connecting, I lag out, and it takes 100% of the cpu..

BTW, not sure how c# works, but do you have to allocate sizes for arrays and strings? Because I don't see the whole opening string when connecting to the main server..

BTW, not sure how c# works, but do you have to allocate sizes for arrays and strings? Because I don't see the whole opening string when connecting to the main server..

For strings no, for arrays yes. But in C# you rarely work with arrays, there are much better containers around.

Well, I downloaded the latest version (5).

This is worse than the first version..

Sadly to heard that :(

I can't type anything after connecting, I lag out, and it takes 100% of the cpu..

I looked my CPU-usage, I run on my computer all stuff: ICQ, Thunderbird, Skype, Wuala (as usually), then run Elch and dunno how it called in English for look CPU usage. I did screenshot and put it in Bugs folder, you can see it >> Here <<. As you can see, CPU is idle.

UPD. Can you tell me more details about operation system, mono/dotnet version and other stuff?

For string you don't need to allocate string size, but for arrays you should. I will ask Korrode to test it and give more information about details of lags and other bugs.

UPD. I will try today to install Mono and run Elch with it on my home computer and laptop and will publish results.

Edited by SunriseCoder

As of 0.0.2-alpha-r4, on my Debian Linux notebook it crashes immediately after the username/pass/server screen.

I enter the username and password and click Connect and it tries to draw the main window but before it draws any content at all it 'freezes' (doesn't actually crash out with any error, it freezes up).

Seems no elch_error.log is created.

BTW for anyone interested, to compile on Linux, in the src/ dir you do:

xbuild elch.sln

and the output binary is in src/elch/bin/debug/

My own binaries still have this same issue though, but I compiled r3 and it worked.

Now I'm reading Bruce Eckel's book 'Thinking in Java', and found there one interesting quote:

As a result, the Java designers at Sun have taken a hard look at C# and why

programmers might want to move to it, and have responded by making fundamental

improvements to Java in Java SE5.

Currently, the main vulnerability and important question concerning .NET is whether

Microsoft will allow it to be completely ported to other platforms. They claim there’s no

problem doing this, and the Mono project (www.go-mono.com) has a partial

implementation of .NET working on Linux, but until the implementation is complete and

Microsoft has not decided to squash any part of it, .NET as a cross-platform solution is still a

risky bet.

Now I'm understand why Elch don't work under Mono. It's Microsoft's marketing for give more respects to windows and more crap to Linux... I don't know what I need to fix for Elch starts work well under Mono :(

Linux is the future anyway.

With players like Google in our camp nowadays, it's only a matter of time. :medieval:

Linux zealot out :fire:

Linux is the future anyway.

Absolutely agree, but too much users in our country (and I think, all over the world) use windows :(

Now I got good offer for new job as Java-programmer, I need to read a lot for success interview and a bit time for have adaptation at new company, so I should to pause of Elch develop, then I will buy android phone and will try to portable Elch to Java, then I will continue to develop new features to Elch.

May be I will add swt to Elch for more native view of Elch in each operation system like windows, linux and mac.

But I need to learn a lot of technologies for it. Don't forget me :)