Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
effbiai

failed to start el in linux

efflaptop el_099 # ./el.x86.linux.bin

./el.x86.linux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_net-1.2.so,0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

problem solved.. i installed libSDL and SDL-net, i got some more errors too.. but with some other packages the game is almost starting :)

now i'm getting:

efflaptop el_099 # ./el.x86.linux.bin

./el.x86.linux.bin: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: no version information available (required by ./el.x86.linux.bin)

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

efflaptop el_099 #

What distro, what video card?

You miss the OpenGL drivers (such as Mesa or accelerated drivers provided by your video card manufacturer)

i have Trident Cyber Blade XP Ai1, and using build-in drivers in 2.4 kernel... i tryed to Load "glx" in XF86Config then the game started.. but i got a lot of errors in the console.. don't remember what it was.. and i don't have my laptop here.. (i did not load "dri")

Edit: i have googled over the whole world to get some drivers.. but no luck.. so if anyone know about one, let me know ;)

Quote from http://www.tridentmicro.com/videographics/...eraladdin%20ai1 :

"Software support for CyberBLADE Ai1 is complete with certified drivers for Windows® XP, Windows® ME, Windows® 98, Windows® 2000, OpenGL and Linux."

as i already told.. i never managed to get this drivers/software..

Edit2: i forgot to tell distro.. its Gentoo www.gentoo.org

I'm having the same problem with 99...I get:

/usr/local/eternal_lands/el.x86.linux.bin: /usr/X11R6/lib/tls/libGL.so.1: no version information available (required by /usr/local/eternal_lands/el.x86.linux.bin)

It's an ATI laptop with 7500 M7, XFree 4.3 radeon drivers. glxgears works fine (> 700 FPS), tuxracer works well, glxinfo shows that everything is ok with OpenGL and that direct rendering is enabled.

Not sure I want to install Mesa over the existing XFree DRI drivers and lose hardware support...any ideas? Maybe I should try .98?

I grabbed the source and to get it to compile, I of course had to grab various -devel libraries and also libsmpeg...but once it compiled, both the cvs version and the .99 release version ran but http://www.cicleworks.com/Screenshot.png is what I see.

I still get the same console output about the version information, but at least now I see a window. I noticed in the el.ini file that there's no mention of 800x600 at 24bit...is 32 and 16 the only supported bpp?

You have to put the binary that you build into the directory with all the game files and run it from there (it can't find the textures and stuff).

Checking the error log in ~/.elc/error_log.txt, I saw:

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

Hello.

You need to download full game or update, then make sure that

you copied/replaced ALL files in your EL directory with those

in the package. Then you can compile elclient from source and just

replace binary from package with binary that you compiled from source.

When you download source from CVS this is ONLY source.

There are no other files that are needed to start game. Only files that

are needed to compile binary. You have to download new version of

game or update version 099 to run this.

EL client is looking for those files in the directory it was started from.

And about that missing extenstions:

Check your /etc/X11/XF86Config if following lines are not hash'd:

Load "glx"

This if you use default X accelerated driver:

Load "dri"

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

After installing/upgrading libs run ldconfig ALWAYS.

Regards.

You have to put the binary that you build into the directory with all the game files and run it from there (it can't find the textures and stuff).

Yes, that's where I ran it from.../usr/local/eternal_lands. There's no fontv.bmp in that dir...

Guest corvus_corax

Hi, some background may be of use. Here's the process I've taken so far:

1) The machine was recently wiped clean for various reasons. I had used .98 on the same machine in the previous configuration and it worked really well. In installing Gnome 2.6.1 I broke my configuration for X and my fps dropped < 300 on glxgears. I had a billion other reasons to wipe so I did. I started with a clean XF86 file. Prior to installing .99 on this now clean machine, I got back up to > 700 fps on glxgears by tweaking my XF86 file. Tuxracer flies, glxgears hums. DRI is enabled and works (glxinfo reports direct rendering enabled).

2) I had previously installed .98 in ~/eternal_lands. I opted to install .99 in /usr/local/eternal_lands this time...it was the full version, not the update. I gave the entire tree 775 permissions.

3) I ran /usr/local/eternal_lands/el.x86.linux.bin from ~/, and I got the aforementioned version error and no window.

4) I grabbed the source into ~/elc/elc and tried to build. I got a bunch of errors and realized I didn't have the SDL-devel, SDL_net-devel, and libopenal-devel libraries, so I urpmi'd them, which also brought in libsmpeg. The next build succeeded, and I tried running it from ~/elc/elc. I got a complaint in the cmd line about the encyclopedia files. So I backed up the binary in /usr/local/eternal_lands and replaced it with the one I had just built.

5) I ran my new binary in /usr/local/eternal_lands and got the screenshot I provided, no bitmaps and the error about fontv.bmp in ~/.elc/error_log.txt. I tried running the original binary and it also ran now, same behaivior...so clearly I didn't have all the libraries to run it originally.

6) I took a look at fonts.c and it occured to me to try to copy fonts.bmp to fontsv.bmp and see what would happen. This removed the complaint about fontsv.bmp on the cmd line, but the behaivior was otherwise identical to the screenshot.

I'll keep trying various things, thanks for the help...

Guest corvus_corax

I left libdirectfb0.9_20 off of the list of pkgs brought in when I urpmi'd the SDL-devel packages.

Forget about fontsv.bmp, it's not used for now, and the error is harmless.

The encyclopedia is not included in the binary, but is a separate set of files. Anyway, also that error should not prevent you from running the game.

The only time I have seen a screen shot like the one you posted, was when I ran the binary in the directory where I had made the build. I just tried again, and I see it gives no warning about missing files. Please check the following:

1) did you specify a data directory in el.ini? If so, check if that directory contains the game data files. (for starters, check if there's a directory textures in there)

2) If not, cd to /usr/local/eternal_lands, check if the data files are present in that directory, and run the game from there.

Hi, some background may be of use. Here's the process I've taken so far:

1) The machine was recently wiped clean for various reasons. I had used .98 on the same machine in the previous configuration and it worked really well. In installing Gnome 2.6.1 I broke my configuration for X and my fps dropped < 300 on glxgears. I had a billion other reasons to wipe so I did. I started with a clean XF86 file. Prior to installing .99 on this now clean machine, I got back up to > 700 fps on glxgears by tweaking my XF86 file. Tuxracer flies, glxgears hums. DRI is enabled and works (glxinfo reports direct rendering enabled).

2) I had previously installed .98 in ~/eternal_lands. I opted to install .99 in /usr/local/eternal_lands this time...it was the full version, not the update. I gave the entire tree 775 permissions.

You don't need to change permissions after download/update game.

It is all correctly set.

3) I ran /usr/local/eternal_lands/el.x86.linux.bin from ~/, and I got the aforementioned version error and no window.

There was option data_dir or set_data_dir anyway in 099 it not works for me (it seems to be ignored and syntax is like that: #data_dir = "/usr/local/game/el/" maybe I have something wrong - FIXME). BTW: Install dir for games is /usr/local/games (if you care abour order in your system), anyway if no one else plays that game exempt you installing it system wide is not needed.

Unpack full package to some dir in your home, enter that dir and run EL client binary all textures should load properly.

4) I grabbed the source into ~/elc/elc and tried to build. I got a bunch of errors and realized I didn't have the SDL-devel, SDL_net-devel, and libopenal-devel libraries, so I urpmi'd them, which also brought in libsmpeg. The next build succeeded, and I tried running it from ~/elc/elc. I got a complaint in the cmd line about the encyclopedia files. So I  backed up the binary in /usr/local/eternal_lands and replaced it with the one I had just built.

Read one more time my last post, after you do, copy compiled binary in directory that you created in your home (whatever if it will be only for experimental purposes or you will

stay with it).

5) I ran my new binary in /usr/local/eternal_lands and got the screenshot I provided, no bitmaps and the error about fontv.bmp in ~/.elc/error_log.txt. I tried running the original binary and it also ran now, same behaivior...so clearly I didn't have all the libraries to run it originally.

Indeed, game looks like that when it can't load its textures etc following above should solve that, open console, cd to your EL directory and ./el.x86.linux.bin.

Any errors paste here.

Regards.

A note on the data_dir setting:

It is only useful if you put el.ini in ~/.elc/

If you only put it in the el.ini that's in the game directory, then there is no way for the game to find it. However, if you compile your own client, you can define DATA_DIR to have a default search path built into the bin. That's what the gentoo ebuild does, so you don't have to put an el.ini in your home dir if you don't want to.

Guest corvus_corax

Same behaivior regardless of where the directory is located, home or otherwise, compiled or binary dl.

Is there a list of library dependencies for linux?

If that is what you see it means that it can't find the data directory. Did you move the binary you compiled to the directory where the data is?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this