Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChevLow

In Game Name

I would like to know if anyone else that plays this game receives e-mail under their ingame name. I feel as if my e-mail address linked to my ingame characters name has been leeked and now am receiving spam e-mails. If this is the case how were these e-mail addresses leaked? Who would have the authority to release my e-mail address from this game?

imho, anybody who has an email has received spam at one time or another. there are a number of causes:

• unprotected computers that has a record of any email that has your email address in it that are being compromised by malware and trojans - including any and all of your friends'
  • registrations in social network sites that have none or poor mail harvesting bot protection
  • forums that have close to no policies regarding user privacy
  • super silent trojans that record your address book and send them to their owners
  • unwitting registrations to subscriptions (clicking the OK button without reading carefully the fine print, or some other advanced options)
  • and many others

so it doesn't mean that your ingame name is "leaked" somehow. my ingame name is my email address too, but i have never received any spam. most probably it may be one of the reasons above.

now, if you haven't registered any email address under your ingame name, AND you receive mail, then that's something to worry about. :confused:

I know I didn't start getting spammed until I got credit cards.. I think they are selling my email, lol.

It would be helpful if you specified what you are referring to as spam.

I do see your forum account settings are set for you to be notified by email any time a new topic or post comes up and any time you receive a private forum message or conversation.

Also if you use your ingame name anywhere else, or if your email is a variation of your ingame name, you could be assuming it's from here when in reality it could be from anywhere you use your email.

Also note if you use an email like yahoo, hotmail, msn, gmail...you will always get spam.

As to who has the ability to see your email here, that depends on your settings. It could range from only admins (4 people) or everyone. I can only speak for admins here but we don't send you anything via email unless it's notification when you request a forum namechange or password retrieval. We don't give out emails to anyone.

I would like to know if anyone else that plays this game receives e-mail under their ingame name. I feel as if my e-mail address linked to my ingame characters name has been leeked and now am receiving spam e-mails. If this is the case how were these e-mail addresses leaked? Who would have the authority to release my e-mail address from this game?

Post the sample of the spam you got.

Did you use the same name in other places, such as other MMOs or forums, etc?

The game doesn't use your e-mail address, nor does it know it, so this is not how the spammers got it.

This is the only place that I use this ingame name so I was just curious about the issue as I have never signed up for anything else under this name.

ChevLow, 50% off at MrsFields.com  This among other e-mails have been coming to my yahoo account now for about 3 months. I can be more specific and forward these e-mails to someone for further review. Thank you for your time.

ChevLow      

Yahoo automatically spams. I had the same issue when I used my yahoo email just for private people.

This is the only place that I use this ingame name so I was just curious about the issue as I have never signed up for anything else under this name.

ChevLow, 50% off at MrsFields.com  This among other e-mails have been coming to my yahoo account now for about 3 months. I can be more specific and forward these e-mails to someone for further review. Thank you for your time.

ChevLow      

Keep in mind that the game is separate from these forums. The game itself does not use an email and has no record of your email.

When did you create this particular email? Was it made specifically for this forum account?

You might want to check your profile and email settings in your forum account.

Also take a look at what name you used as your "real name" in the email account personal information when you signed up for it.

The yahoo account has been my account for 10 or so years. The point I am trying to make is that they are sending them addressed to CHEVLOW my ingame name.. I have never used this name except for these forums and in this game. I was just wondering how CHEVLOW could have been released because this is the only place that this name is used. I have been playing EL for around 2 and a half years. My yahoo account is in my real name and has been for about 10 years.

Edited by ChevLow

When you created your forum account, did you at least for a while have your settings set to display your e-mail address?

Also, did you give anyone from the game your e-mail address?

Some fucking retards will forward e-mails like: "If you don't send this to 15 people in your contact list, your GF will dump you, but if you do you will win the lottery". That's a golden pot for spammers.

My e-mail has never been made pubic here in the forum nor have i given it out to anyone in the game. I just wanted you to be aware of the issue. I am a network engineer and know my way around computers started in computers with some pre 386's and even a commodor64 so im not new to any of this. Thanks for your time in reading and replying to this thread.

ChevLow

Well, I have no idea what happened, but I didn't hear of any similar cases. Out of curiosity, did that happen before or after you made the forum account?

I have had to redo my account on this forum about 4 times. For some reason, I dont know why, it would say no account. This time its has been a few months and it still recognizes me. So to answer your question I have done this account with the same name 5 times over the past 2 and a half years.

Well, there was a time in 2007 or so (I don't remember the exact date) when we got the forum hacked due to an IPB exploit. But I am not sure to what extent the forum DB was compromised (if at all).