Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Devnul

Katana - first two handed sword in EL!

Katana - first two handed sword in EL

Epilog:

Everyone (I think) knows what Katana is (Japanese sword for those that don’t). It is famous all over the world as the best melee weapon. Also a piece of art and historic blade. You can find Katana almost in every RPG game, or at least swords with looks based on it. Worlds of fantasy games often use Katana (the look of the blade, curve and only 1 cutting edge) as Elven weapons. No wonder, for those who interest in swords, this is a worthwhile blade.

Goal:

1. Create first in EL two handed sword.

2. High damage (compared to halberd) with good accuracy (+3 maybe). Balance I leave to professionals (comments please).

3. Opportunity to make new rare (unique) powerful magic swords in future.

4. Alternative to ‘sticks’ (Halberd or Dragon Blade). For all shield ‘haters’.

5. Chance to test new EL client for graphic capabilities (how will the sword look).

6. Nice bow to all Katana and two handed swords fans.

7. Basing on Katana new two handed weapons can be made later (Great Dwarf Axe).

Thank you.

Edited by Devnul

I'd rather see a claymore(not the emerald one but one that resembles the claymores used in Scotland back in the middle ages) . There are too many mmorpgs out there that are based on or have been inspired by eastern asian culture. Please go and check out how many mmorpgs are based on the legend of the three kingdoms or something similar. There are so many cultures out there (arabic, persian, african, european etc etc) that are not being exploited in the mmo industry just because big developers feel the need to give us yet another eastern asian themed mmo and if possible based on the three kingdoms legend as well (like we wouldn't have enough already). I for one am sick and tired of this and if I see another mmorpg ruined by katanas, anime graphics and char models with weird hair styles and banana-shaped-eyes (no offence to asian people...I'm not racist or anything but what is too much...well it's simply too much) I don't know what will happen to me.

Summary: No katana or any other eastern asian stuff please. Cover other cultures first and when there's nothing left and only then add eastern asian things to the game. It's an overused setting and people who have been playing mmos for some time know what I'm talking about when I say: It will do the game no good.

EDIT: If you are passionate about swords and martial arts then you should watch "Reclaiming the blade". It's a great documentary and it explains to you that there is much more to european martial arts than most people think.

EDIT2: Please don't claim that katana=best melee weapon...let's just say it's not quite true.

Edited by Garnoo

Diablo had some 2 handed swords. You had to choose between using a 1 handed sword and a shield, and using a 2 handed sword and no shield. I think 2 handed swords could be added without a lot of new code since there are already functions that check to see if a player can wear a certain type of equipment.

I like this idea, but I don't think items that are purely Asian should be added to the game. It would go against the theme. Most of the game elements are European style. A claymore or a 2 handed axe would be good. Battle hammers are supposed to be 2 handed weapons, anyway.

I think 2 handed weapons should offer high damage, high critical to damage, poor accuracy and poor critical to hit. They may also need to increase defense a bit to make up for not being able to use a shield, but not by as much as an actual shield.

Also, people have been arguing for a long time about what the best melee weapon is. We don't need to do that here.

Great claymore....that would be about 100 emu, I would guess. Maybe more.

def -3

crit damage +10

accuracy -3

damage 50

Just a rough guess.

Current axes could be redone to two-handed weapons, with adjustments of their attributes of course :(

It could put a more use to those poor dustcatchers as of now :(

Edited by Khalai

Current axes could be redone to two-handed weapons, with adjustments of their attributes of course :(

The hard part with making anything a two handed weapon is convincing Roja to change the animations for those weapons.

The hard part with making anything a two handed weapon is convincing Roja to change the animations for those weapons.

Well, for now, it can be done, that using axe prohibits the use of shields and tweaked stats of axes, animations could come later if desired and needed :(

Make the handle a lil' bit longer and use the same animation as every other 2h weapon. Making it 3/5 length of a staff should do the trick. Fighting stance would look something like this: http://www.ffxivblog.com/files/2009/08/ffxiv_warrior.jpg (random image off google).

I see that this subject (two handed blade/axe) is interesting not only me. Garnoo you are right, maybe putting Asian weapon is not a good idea. Although I would love to see large Orc with two handed axe or Dragoni with sword (Claymore or more fantasy one, for example the one that Conan used in movies). This might open road to magical Axes and usage of the current ones that are … let’s say useless.

About animation, well we already have it for staffs and other ‘sticks’. Why not using this animation with tweaking only looks of the axes. With swords there will be more work I guess.

Nice idea for new weapon :) the game can abide more thinks - more weapons !

Give more options to people ..its a game :) no nuclear physics :icon13: ! I am sure the market in this game can abide also new staffs :)

wait.. we already have 2 handed weappons. why can we not carry weapons in both hands ? it would not look as good.. and it would require new animations because moving with 2 swords is kinda difficult when u don't want to hit yourself (try it in RL :P) . But you could make more damage. No that's not good .. imagine someone with 2 thermal serps..

wait.. we already have 2 handed weappons. why can we not carry weapons in both hands ? it would not look as good.. and it would require new animations because moving with 2 swords is kinda difficult when u don't want to hit yourself (try it in RL :pickaxe:) . But you could make more damage. No that's not good .. imagine someone with 2 thermal serps..

perhaps make a new weapon, it does more damage but requires reading a book and possibly need same human as great swords and cost about the same as great swords(it'd have like 1.5 damage of the average of greatswords, but have the obvious penalties of being less accurate(possibly -1 or -2 to accuracy and -4 to defense).

and then make a lower level one, similar stats in comparison(lower damage, but not high enough to eclipse the lowest greatsword) with higher defense penalties(possibly none of this one) but require great sword human to wield this as well. this would cost ~1.5k-2k to make in materials im guessing, just to give a idea.

@op, yes, i would like to see more two handed weapons, but i'd prefer to head to european designs and away from asian mmo's, while i dont mind asian mmo's, they are overused.

i'd love to see a zweihander, english greatsword, and if we were to do asian an odachi(a very big sword, so large unable to wear from hip, basically a giant katana).

How about making two handed Elven weapons. We don’t have any in game yet. Sword could look like this:

http://ar.rtfm.com.pl/temp/mithrodin.jpg

About character animation, well carrying could be the same like for 1 handed weapon. Right now, during the fight without the shield, character is holding second hand close to chest. Is tweaking graphic to hold the sword with both hands really so difficult (I am not a programmer so sorry for question if it sounds stupid).

Statistic could be as proposed, high damage (like bronze sword maybe), high critical, but lesser accuracy.

Edited by Devnul