Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

More minor graphic alignments

In this thread, the position of text within the inventory window buttons was discussed. The issue being that on some graphics cards the position was fine, on others it was off to one side and/or too high/low. Two options were added to the "Details" tab of the options window to allow fine adjustment of the of the button text position. For me, with an Nvidia GeForce 7600GS, both values set to zero were fine. I now have a new machine with a Nvidia GT240 card. On this card -1,1 is the best setting.

However, I've notices several other places with similar issues.

Tab out of alignment:

gallery_14814_12_1751.jpg

Tab as they should be:

gallery_14814_12_1076.jpg

Chat plus off centre:

gallery_14814_12_997.jpg

Chat plus as it should be:

gallery_14814_12_1805.jpg

I've made a few client changes (committed to CVS) to fix these issues using the existing X/Y Offset options. One set of values works for both these cases and the original. There are other places to fix too (like the bag drop window) so I'll keep going. I've tried the code changes on my original machine and on three other machines with different graphics cards. In each case, the offset values work as expected.

Let me know what you think and if there are other places that need to be fixed.

Also hopefully fixed the drop bag.

Broken:

gallery_14814_12_2206.jpg

Fixed:

gallery_14814_12_6340.jpg

sir_odie has some similar fixes on Berlios so I'll look at committing those too.

Little graphical misalignments do have an impact on first glance perception & impression. Fixing this sort stuff helps to ensure the game doesn't seem 'raggedy'... so nice work. ;)

Ty for fixing this it has really niggled me.

On the same topic, has anyone notice that if Iron bars are dropped in a bag the top row of the image appears in the bottom row of the cell.

I am not in EL or would post a screenshot.

I hope this belongs in this thread, sorry if it doesn't. For years I've noticed this weird thing with the manufacture window buttons. Depending where the window is on my screen, the buttons can be the right shape, or they can be this shape:

elscreen252.png

See the little lump on the top left of the >, >> and Clear buttons? If I drag the manu window around very slowly, it seems that every time I move it by one pixel these buttons alternate between being drawn correctly and being drawn like in that image.

Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.0.6849 Release

On the same topic, has anyone notice that if Iron bars are dropped in a bag the top row of the image appears in the bottom row of the cell.

This small patch should fix it; i used the code from the item-window where the icons are shown correctly:

Index: bags.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/bags.c,v
retrieving revision 1.65
diff -u -r1.65 bags.c
--- bags.c	25 Oct 2009 00:11:23 -0000	1.65
+++ bags.c	24 Jun 2010 18:37:07 -0000
@@ -421,9 +421,9 @@
			//get the UV coordinates.
			cur_item=ground_item_list[i].image_id%25;
			u_start=0.2f*(cur_item%5);
-			u_end=u_start+0.2f;
-			v_start=(1.0f+2.0f/256.0f)-(0.2f*(cur_item/5));
-			v_end=v_start-0.2f;
+			u_end=u_start+(float)50/256;
+			v_start=(1.0f+((float)50/256)/256.0f)-((float)50/256*(cur_item/5));
+			v_end=v_start-(float)50/256;

//get the x and y
			cur_pos=i;

I hope this belongs in this thread, sorry if it doesn't. For years I've noticed this weird thing with the manufacture window buttons. Depending where the window is on my screen, the buttons can be the right shape, or they can be this shape:....

That is weird, it's probably related to this issues but is not really correctable using the fixed x/y offset. Not sure what to about that.

This small patch should fix it; i used the code from the item-window where the icons are shown correctly:

Thanks Sir_Odie. I've committed that patch to CVS.

I've also committed your berilos patch but with a few minor tweaks; thanks for that too. Let me know if I've messed thinks up for you...

For others information, Sir_Odie's patch corrects the following:

Inventory window quantity selections numbers.

Knowledge window progress bar position.

Square buttons (I've added rounded button too).

The position of text in the quest log.

Scroll bar and the scroll arrows.

Text in tabs.

Number in spin boxes.

Just noticed another one on version 1.9.0 client.

If you select fox fur and place in a trade window - 1 column of pixels appears on the right of the box..

Just noticed another one on version 1.9.0 client.

If you select fox fur and place in a trade window - 1 column of pixels appears on the right of the box..

The trade window code already has the same changes from Sir_Odie's patch, curiously using 255 rather than 256 for the image size but that is a very minor difference. Unless I've missed something, it should not have the same issue. I certainly can't see a problem where as I could with the iron bars. Not sure what to do about this.... I note that storage uses 255 rather than 256 so if you have the same problem there, that could be the problem.

I've played a bit with those numbers but it looks like there is no value that works for ALL icons: when the fox fur is correct, the toads are wrong and so on :=((

looking at the images, the correct value SHOULD be 50/256 as there are 5 icons in a 256 pixel .bmp with blank pixels at the end.

this problem also affects the quickbar and the inv-window (only big, not small inv-window); in both the fox fur isn't displayed correctly (sto-window and bags look fine).

could this be a scaling-problem? it looks like the grid-size is different for every window...

Edited by Sir_Odie