Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gilrain

magic immunity also prevents casting

I'm currently thinking of how the gameplay and fighting (also pk) would change, if MI spells wouldnt only make immune to magic that are cast on to a player, but also would prevent that this player would cast further magic himself.

The background thoughts are well known: if you dont cast MI, then overpowered mages can kill you with two spells, while when you have MI on, noone can hurt you at all with magic.

The other 'problem' i have in mind is the fact, that some pk fights really consist only of 2 players casting restore and drinking SRs until one of them runs out of resources.

Now what if the MI spell would prevent you from casting spells? First of all: you cant cast restore for that time!

In a single combat arena, this has the possibility imho to make fights more interesting. If you fight against a mage, you still can cast MI, then have to kill that mage with weapons before you can let your MI wear off.

If you fight with two fighters, you have to choose if you do MI and not restore, or rather restore and are open to magic attacks.

The only imbalance might occur in multi pk fights, where probably most ppl would renounce having MI on because they need to restore much and thus the OP mages would be favored. But on the other hand, you still have the possibility to use BR and GHPs (which are underused currently) and still have MI on.

Overall i'd expect that we'd have less fights that are only a boring SR consumption.

now what do you think ?

:medieval:

LMAO

edit:

Sorry but your experience with PK'ing in EL is obviously extremely minimal, the effects of what you suggest would be devastating and cause basically every PK fight to last for mere seconds.

There'd need to be a crapload of other changes along with this to balance things.

Edited by Korrode

can i have some of what you're smoking pls? i won't even go into detail how unbalanced el's pvp system is and how this change would make it fubar'd.

many things need to be changed before this would ever be considered (el has a bunch of weaponry that isn't used), incl but not limited to: rationality, attributes:armor:weaponry ratio, combat rolls etc.

Horrible idea :/

This would make it a choice on how you want to die in a fight.

Choice A: Die by harm/poison/life drain/etc...

Choice B: Die by weapon because you cannot restore.

And could you say exactly how much PKing you have done?

Horrible idea :/

This would make it a choice on how you want to die in a fight.

Choice A: Die by harm/poison/life drain/etc...

Choice B: Die by weapon because you cannot restore.

And could you say exactly how much PKing you have done?

OT: we all have to die, the question is, how and when :medieval:

i dont count LMAO or OMFG as valid arguments, sry.

Ofc it might be that other stuff has to be balanced as well, but since the game is in constant changing anyway, i think it worthwhile to think about it.

The argument that fights will probably be shorter was already mentioned by me, the question is, if this could be rebalanced or if this is really so horrible etc.

The choice about how you die in a fight was also mentioned by me already, but how is this different from now? Which choice do you have now, when you fight someone with much higher levels and attributes ? (and how long does that last ??)

further input ?

Ofc it might be that other stuff has to be balanced as well, but since the game is in constant changing anyway, i think it worthwhile to think about it.

The argument that fights will probably be shorter was already mentioned by me, the question is, if this could be rebalanced or if this is really so horrible etc.

The choice about how you die in a fight was also mentioned by me already, but how is this different from now? Which choice do you have now, when you fight someone with much higher levels and attributes ? (and how long does that last ??)

further input ?

Even characters who you would fight with much higher levels and attributes you have some time to do something because you can cast restoration once or twice (or more depending on your mana).

Taking away that ability to protect yourself is by far the worst idea for PK period. Yes, I am saying that your idea is the worst PK idea ever.

If implemented, your idea would not re-balance anything but actually take away from a extremely large strategic part of PKing. Also let's not forget about people who magic train on bears by casting MI (to protect from MD) and MDing the bears.

There is no actual benefit by what you are suggesting, only cons. And the cons of this suggestion would greatly effect more areas of gameplay in a negative manor.

Edited by PaulB

further input ?

Come back when you've got at least a couple of hundred PK fights on your PKi kk

I don't see why i should have to write an essay explaining PK'ing in EL to you just to satisfy your want for a further input on why your idea is fail.

Would you write a letter to NASA with suggestions for spacecraft design changes when you have jack fuck nothing experience with rocket engineering? No.

First you go learn, then once you know stuff you get to make suggestions and not just get "LMAO" responses.

Edited by Korrode

Last thing i'll add:

Overall i'd expect that we'd have less fights that are only a boring SR consumption.

If you're referring to the issues with Dragon Armor being OP in PK fights of 2 opponents of equal strength when anything but Bronze Swords (and maybe Rad Rapier) are being used;

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50941

I'm currently thinking of how the gameplay and fighting (also pk) would change, if MI spells wouldnt only make immune to magic that are cast on to a player, but also would prevent that this player would cast further magic himself.

Rofl you noob,return to cave and learn anything about pk... ;):P :P

Edited by KoDdy

Rofl you noob,return to cave and learn anything about pk... :P :P :icon4:

in case you didnt notice, this post isnt about changes to pk , but primarily about changes to MI (which ofc is currently important in pk).

In other fantasy games back to D&D magic shields nearly always also had an impact on the magic of the caster. Maybe preventing spells altogether is a bit much here, but other influences are also thinkable (no offensive spells, weaker effect...)

The bear mana drain problem isnt really a problem: if you MD a bear, you dont need MI. Thats only needed if you serp bears/white tigers for the furs.

In summary, thx for your input Paul and Korrode.

The other answers are merely an argument against pk'ing too much or letting ppl who do decide on anything around.....

;)

No MI - death in seconds.

MI and no restoring - death in seconds.

Death in seconds when PKing has no fun to it. Also it would be very random, who gets biggest crits and haxed mol, sop and mirror. Against several opponents this is a joke.

Phoenix is already OP, would make it even worse ;)

The bear mana drain problem isnt really a problem: if you MD a bear, you dont need MI.

:P:icon4::omg: :omg: ;):P

This couldn't be further from the truth!

1. MI + MD = more magic exp (better for training magic)

2. Do you really think it's worth MD a bear if he only hits you back with it because you don't have MI on?

The bear mana drain problem isnt really a problem: if you MD a bear, you dont need MI.

1. MI + MD = more magic exp (better for training magic)

2. Do you really think it's worth MD a bear if he only hits you back with it because you don't have MI on?

Yeah, lets take the useless approach:

Gilrain, it's mana burn, not mana drain.

Paul, this is about having the change where with MI no spells can be cast. With MI - no burn. Without MI - cast drain and no burn. Can't have both if planning to stay on topic. And if you insist on staying on topic and adding mag exp, then it's MD+LD. Better exp/gc ratio than your MI+MD.

Or be cool and turn into Phoenix (!) and farm in peace. :omg:

Edited by Dugur

i MDed some lots of bears already, none of them could burn me after he had no more mana......

kk, i understand that. Just the question is then, if thats a state which should be preserved forever....

Perhaps this would bring some use to the warlock cape, magic protection spell and other things. But it would also make MI useless unless you're just planning to take a quick shortcut through PK.

I realize all other capes are useless because CoTU is the only feasible cape while BRoD remains ingame. This is probably a problem that'll remain, though there is mage robe skirt/pants whcih does give cotu perk.

kk, i understand that. Just the question is then, if thats a state which should be preserved forever....

If it's not to be preserved forever, then to change it and balance things would mean a huge amount of modifications to the way many of the skills and mechanics of the game work. In the years i've been playing EL i've only seen 2 changes implemented that even come close to the magnitude of what'd be needed (and still, those changes didn't need anywhere near the amount of work this would).

If you want the changes first you'll need a much greater amount of experience with PK'ing and the combat system than you currently have (so cya in a few years when you're top 100 a/d and got hundreds of PK fights under your belt), then you'll need to write a massive essay detailing the changes, then you'll have to deal with heap of people countering it, and then get general majority consensus, and then, lastly but certainly not least, convince radu it's the way to go and get it implemented.

Have fun.