Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fred_penner

Why not have archetypes?

Most games like this have archetypes. Players choose their type at the beginning, or some games let you change while playing (for a penalty). The latter would probably work best for a MMORPG where people want to keep the same character for a long time.

There would be penalties and benefits to each type:

Fighter types would get stronger faster, but (for example) couldn't use magic. They can't make their own pots or weapons. But they can harvest stuff. Monsters drop books that the manufacturers and magic users need for knowledge.

Magic users can make pots and cast spells but can't make weapons and can only use some weapons. Can't harvest metals, only organics.

Manufacturer types can make weapons and armour, but can't use some of the higher end stuff they make. They can make pots too, but no magic. They can harvest anything.

This would force different classes to rely on each other and get money moving around. It would also give a non-fighter a chance in a PK map. Fighters might not slaughter them if they knew they might have to trade with them one day. Or they might kill them anyhow, thinking to steal whatever the dead player leaves behind.

Have archetypes been considered already? If so, why weren't they implemented?

Commonly known as the class system :(

We did kinda consider it, but we thought it would be nice to have a more free environment- personally i never liked classes. Although what you say makes more sense to balance the system with. I don't think it will ever happen with this game, but who knows, I always leave the door open :)

Because this game does NOT WANT archetypes! Simple as that. That is something that gives this game more flexability and a different flavor then many other games.

On one hand, it's a good way to encourage player interaction - you're right. Furthermore, it makes choices about how to spend pickpoints much easier. And more still, it's a standard RPG system, class-based, so familiar to a lot of players.

On the other hand, it cuts down and limits flexibility in choosing what you want to do. It doesn't allow you to switch or take multiple classes if you realised you made a mistake in choosing. And...it's a standard RPG system, which people might get bored with.

EL may lose it's distinctiveness.

-Lyn-

In my economy prattle/suggestions

http://eternal-lands.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....t=4873&start=20

I mentioned maybe making 'forgetting' books you've read. Or have only 5 specific type books being known at any given time.

I thought this idea up because most high end fighters also have high end alchemy/potions/etc... So by doing the books this way, you will 'pick' what class(es) your character is. But because books are so easy to get, it would be super easy to change your 'class'. Hence keeping the flexibility of this game, yet helping control the economy by keeping everything in a 'circle' type pattern.

example :

Potions need animals/ore/flowers -get from miners/newbs

Miners are usually alchemists

Magic users need essences -get from alchemists

Manu'ers need bars from alchemists, need rare books from fighters

Fighters need potions.

ok im done. :P

hmm, that may actualy work. that way no one person can control the entire ladder but yet have to specialize to get somewhere. hmm, i think i have maybe 3 books allready just to mine gold...

maybe let the user pick what books to dump when he is going up and refuse him to dump any books that the current book being researched is depending on. that way as you learn to mine some of the higher stuff you have to dump some of the lower stuff. and every one can harvest flowers if theyre have had a bad day...

mostly this will hamper the people makeing stuff tho as they cant at the same time mine that stuff, alltho that im my book can be a good thing as they stop being jack of all trades...