Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ermabwed

EL Wiki

Good day,

this is to let you know that the unofficial Eternal Lands Wiki, previously hosted by DragonCairn of the Fellowship of Celtic Woods was moved to

Short introduction to the wiki:

• Pages can be accessed directly by adding the name to the domain name, i.e. http://el-wiki.net/Fire Essence will take you to the page on Fire Essence.
  • To edit or add pages to the wiki an account with your name in game is required.
  • Wiki related discussions take place at http://forum.el-wiki.net

You should not post links to pages in official channels, i.e. channels 1-20, use PMs to pass the information on.

(I think this is somehow related to the "no coordinates/quest help" (the latter occurs only on the forums anyways) or possibly the "not too many URLs" of the channel rules, but I'd like clarification on that.)

Like any other wiki, the EL wiki relies on it's users to be the best, most up-to-date, etc. so get editing! :confused:

PS: Many thanks to DragonCairn of FoCW for hosting the wiki up to now and to Krrick of RIVA for hosting it now. :laugh:

PPS: Would be very cool if this could get "stickied" :confused:

Thanks for taking over hosting of this. Please don't treat it the way DC did:

Dragoncairn, from the wiki:

People are willing to donate once it's hosted and maintained by someone other than me, and I find that insulting. For years I have hosted this wiki, I have been held accountable for its content, I have been responsible for it's costs.

3 people have donated over the entire life of the wiki.

* Setec who no longer plays EL.

* Audhilde, my better half.

* And Bob42, Audhilde's father.

Folks are upset that I'm going to remove their hard work, or that I'm removing a source of information that they use. I'm sorry, hosting this thing is a thankless and tiring job. I've been approached by some folks interested in taking it on, but after reading that comment - I'm incensed.

Yes, I'll answer the charge that I've threatened the wiki before - and each time, without monetary recompense folks managed to talk me out of it and to have compassion. And the charge that I've abandoned it, yes why should I pay any attention to something that gives me a ZERO ROI. I'm not even talking a fiscal ROI, but there's no thank yous in the requests I get to have accounts activated, nor is there a thank you once I activate those accounts.

I WAS willing to allow others to host it and take over it's management. I WAS willing to allow the server to remain up until February while it's move got negotiated. I'm not sure I'm willing anymore. --DC 22:16, 19 December 2008 (UTC)

You offered the service, chose not to support it and then tried blackmail to get people to pay you or you delete the wiki. Are you surprised that people wouldn't pay?

To be honest I am surprised you didn't throw your dummy out of your pram and delete the wiki out of sheer narrowmindedness.

Why make out like the server needs paying for? I have checked the other sites your server and know that it has at least two sites hosted on there that would pay your bandwidth bill as a matter of course.

Posting the root URL: el-wiki.net in channels 1-20 is OK, just don't post pages that contain spoilers.

Posting general info such as links on how to make various items and such is also OK, but again, no links to 'secret' stuff in the channels.

BTW, nice job.