Eternal Lands Official Forums
Torg

Emote codes for the client

Side note. I hope there will be an option of disabling graphical emoticons. I sincerely can't stand them (not even in IMs).

These aren't emoticons (icons in the text), they are animations of the characters.

They are exactly the same as the current animations (walking, standing up/down, fighting etc), but they are triggered by something you say, and just like the "normal" animations they are displayed to anyone who can see you (in hearing range of local chat).

Side note. I hope there will be an option of disabling graphical emoticons. I sincerely can't stand them (not even in IMs).

These aren't emoticons (icons in the text), they are animations of the characters.

They are exactly the same as the current animations (walking, standing up/down, fighting etc), but they are triggered by something you say, and just like the "normal" animations they are displayed to anyone who can see you (in hearing range of local chat).

Either way, players need to be able to disable them so they don't get animation spammed. Think of what will happen at crowded areas when people get bored.

Either way, players need to be able to disable them so they don't get animation spammed. Think of what will happen at crowded areas when people get bored.

If people wanted to animation spam in crowded areas they could do so now by getting up and walking back and forth, changing directions etc. It happens from time to time but I don't see how it is at all harmful to anyone.

The problem I have is what should be "disabled". Given this is simply local chat text that is interpreted, adding an animation to a queue for the actor saying the text, the difference between the actor moving and it staying still is fairly minor.

The spam would be the contents of local chat, which brings up the question of should emotes be filtered from the local chat text. It has already been argued that if they are filtered, people in console won't see them.

People can already spam one another in local chat if desired, if someone does you simply put them on ignore. I believe the same principle works in this situation as well.

I like the *emote* idea. I have to comment though, \nod will not send a PM to noddy - that's the other / *shrugs*

BTW - I hope there will be some sort of AFK emote - then instead of dozens of people doing the chicken dance at storage it will look like a big nap party :)

I like the *emote* idea. I have to comment though, \nod will not send a PM to noddy - that's the other / *shrugs*

This is try, I believe the original suggestion was /, but \ would work. The problem I have with that key is it is commonly in different places for different keyboards (which drives me insane). I personally hate the key even though I type it often enough in a Unix shell.

I think the general consensus is that *emote* is the best of the ideas. I'll update CVS with that soonish.

BTW - I hope there will be some sort of AFK emote - then instead of dozens of people doing the chicken dance at storage it will look like a big nap party :)

Currently you auto-sit when you go afk. You think we should auto-lie after 10 mins?

CVS has now been updated to use the format *emote*.

For instructions on enabling this, check the emotes thread in the programming forum.

Note: There are not new animations for this yet, at this stage the animations are linked to existing ones in the client (stand up, sit down, pain, start fight, etc) for testing. Also, the emotes.xml file is most certainly not final. The expressions for triggering each emote are yet to be decided on.

I'll provide more info when available. If you know how to compile from CVS and unzip files in the correct locations, please feel free to test this feature and report any bugs or problems to the thread in the programming section.

I think it'd be nice to use an alt or ctrl to trigger the emotes.

e.g

alt + w = wave

or

ctrl + d = dance

Of course, the combos would have to be ones that aren't already occupied by other functions.

Perhaps the function keys (F1, F3) could be used.

I think it'd be nice to use an alt or ctrl to trigger the emotes.

e.g

alt + w = wave

or

ctrl + d = dance

Of course, the combos would have to be ones that aren't already occupied by other functions.

Perhaps the function keys (F1, F3) could be used.

They are currently discussing how to pass an emote to a character in local chat, PM, etc without involving any changes in the server.

CVS has now been updated to use the format *emote*

Maybe too late but...

The less special characters needed, the better.

I like the idea with !

like: !nod

It's a little bit more ergonomic (at last to me) to type ! other than * (especially double '*').

Just my 2 cents.

CVS has now been updated to use the format *emote*

Maybe too late but...

The less special characters needed, the better.

I like the idea with !

like: !nod

It's a little bit more ergonomic (at last to me) to type ! other than * (especially double '*').

Just my 2 cents.

The *node* looks more like other emotes do in the text ( gilhad: i know *smiles at everyone around* that is just me *bows*) (and many people spend a lot of time in console so does not see animations at all)

also the ! is used as negation in many langs so "!agree" means "does not agree" for programmers - confusing at least ;)

Cater to us IRCers out there.

/me nods

/me smiles

/me laughs

etc.

just noticed that would send messages to those with me as the first letters, so

#me nods

#me smiles

#me laughs

Edited by Eternity

What if people who went afk would start smoking a pipe every once in a while? Not all the time of course, but every random number of seconds 120-300 your char would take out a pipe and smoke it for ~10-15 seconds? That would look really cool :) (not sure if it's emotes or new animations, but still)

What if people who went afk would start smoking a pipe every once in a while? Not all the time of course, but every random number of seconds 120-300 your char would take out a pipe and smoke it for ~10-15 seconds? That would look really cool :) (not sure if it's emotes or new animations, but still)

Ehhh I think something a little less gender specific and a lot more health conscious would be better...like covering one's mouth during a yawn or something.

Ehhh I think something a little less gender specific and a lot more health conscious would be better...like covering one's mouth during a yawn or something.

I see one more issue related to any AFK animation which will get screwed by people walking around with AFK time set at 0 (what about people in their ass mode?).

I use this option while contests (not limited to them, though) to avoid spammy PMs.

So maybe we could have 3 new items: coffee mug, newspaper and a pipe

Char could read a newspaper, smoke, or drink coffee - depends on which item he have in his inv. :)

Pipe could also require some sort of plants... i.e. wormood, mug could be bought in general store, newspaper in taverns. :(

Other idea, to adjust the AFK animation to the race of the char.

Dwarf would drink ale, gnome could smoke the pipe, human read a newspaper, orchan could polish his weapon, draegoni could... no, no gnome eating!

And about that issue while walking - simple, enable AFK animation only while the char is sitting. So even if you have afk time set to 0, and you switched to afk mode, the animation wouldnt be visible till you sit in one place.

Edited by BloodSucker

I suggested the time interval of 2-5 minutes so that this animation would not become so spammy. I mean, your char would not be reading/drinking/smoking all the time while afk, only for a couple of seconds every now and again. also, it could be possible to make crowded areas afk-animation free, but I think this would need to be done on the server side, or at least on map.dev files or smth (I'm not good at this, so don't know where the coding should go to)