Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cdmrnaruto

Sudden computer shutdown

Yesterday ( 10/23/08) there were 2 times I was harvesting sulfer. Both times, my computer had a sudden shutdown. Today, i noticed that i didn't have any more sulfer then a week ago. I decided to test it, and i actually went back in time (not the actual game time) to when I had all that sulfer. I tested it by just closing the Eternal Lands window as well, nothing happened.

Eh?

That doesn't really make much sense, sorry.

What exactly did you do, and what changed?

Actually, its really strange, I have been having the same problem as well. At first I didn't think It was EL related, but it seems as though it only happens when EL is open. The computer just shuts down, no error reports or anything. Its only happened three times in the last few weeks, so its not very common. As far as I can tell, theres no particular action that always causes the shutdown either. It happened once while fighting, once when I beamed, and once while harvesting.

Edited by Requiem

most likely hardware,driver related, not directly el related.

Something is probably overheating, like the video card.

I had a similar event when my vid card fan was slowly dying and I was unaware.

Yeah, I though it could possibly be something overheating, it just seems odd that EL would push it more than some extreamly graphics/sound intensive programs that I run.

Edited by Requiem

No, that is no what i am trying to say. I am saying, if, for example, i unplug my computer with the el window and my character in VoTD, The next time i log on i will logging in I find myself in Tirnwood Vale with the 57 meat in my invintory that i put in the storage before i logged off. Besides i didn't just unplug my computer (something that has the same effect as it) that is what happened to me. I did not trade anybody in tirnwood vale, and I didn't exit the game or press #save either. I hope that makes this easier to understand.

Yeah, I though it could possibly be something overheating, it just seems odd that EL would push it more than some extreamly graphics/sound intensive programs that I run.

EL isn't the most efficient graphics engine out there due to the lack of developers, time and knowledge (compared to a commercial game), and hence it tends to push hardware a little more. From time to time someone will work on tuning parts of the game to cut out as many loops and things that take excess time as possible, but it still doesn't have the support of a commercial game.

The other possibility is that there is a bug in one of the libraries that EL used (SDL) that is triggering a bug in an IPC process (which when killed automatically shutdown the machine), but I highly doubt that.

No, that is no what i am trying to say. I am saying, if, for example, i unplug my computer with the el window and my character in VoTD, The next time i log on i will logging in I find myself in Tirnwood Vale with the 57 meat in my invintory that i put in the storage before i logged off. Besides i didn't just unplug my computer (something that has the same effect as it) that is what happened to me. I did not trade anybody in tirnwood vale, and I didn't exit the game or press #save either. I hope that makes this easier to understand.

Yeah, that's a different problem. You are saying that your status isn't being saved correctly, like you are going back in time when you log back in.

I can see 3 possible reasons for this.

- The first one is that there was a server crash and a slight roll-back while you were offline. I'm not aware of one, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

- The second is that someone else has control of your character and has been doing strange things with it (did you hand out your password to anyone?), but if you know exactly how much you had and it is going back to a specific time then it won't be this reason.

- The third reason is that the server isn't saving you correctly when it detects you are no-longer in-game, and hence you go back to where-ever it was your details were last saved. This doesn't rely on #save or trading, I think the server does save after a while anyway.

Unfortunately, it is hard to track down a problem like this, so if you can try to work out some time that this consistently happens (every time your network drops off but you haven't logged out of EL, or something) and some proof of what is occuring, then it might help in finding the problem.

I can do some testing for this later on, when i get back to my house (this computer has problems downloading EL). This happened 2 times. One day i was harvesting sulfer, and then decided to take a break to do a quest. Then I had to turn of the computer for the rest of the day, so i did something that would shut off my computer in the same way that unplugging it would. The next mourning I log on. I go to my storage and notice all of the sulfer I harvested last night had disappeared. I turned off the computer the same way that i did the day i was harvesting sulfer, and when i turned the computer back on, i was in a place i was in during the past with items in my inventory that i had in the past and all the sulfer i just lost back in my storage. I tried closing el and opening it up again 4 times, i remained in the same place that i logged off at. That should at least help track down the bug.

No, the new server came out a few days ago (i think the 19th).
please explain!

There is no new server.

But there was a server update on the 19th

I rewrote the system that handles disconnecting, in order to enable some future optimizations and fix some bugs inherent in the old system.

While we did test it for a few days on the test server, and everything seems to work fine, there is a possibility that there might be some undetected bugs.

Which is why I advise you to use the #save command every once in a while for the next few days, and report any issues (not being saved at log out, etc.) in the bugs forum.

Use #save before you log out for now, until the problem is found.

Edited by Alberich

OMFG, you wasted 30 minutes of my time, and I am REALLY pissed off now.

On 21 October you had EXACTLY 151 sulphur in your inventory.

Then:

Thu Oct 23 04:09:40 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 12:39:10 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 12:49:12 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 13:01:01 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 13:11:35 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 21:06:12 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 21:32:25 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 59 Sulfur

Thu Oct 23 21:52:55 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 12 Sulfur

Today you have exactly 576 sulfur in your inventory!

So how exactly your sulphur wasn't saved???

ORLY??

Thu Oct 23 21:53:08 2008 cdmrnaruto withdrew 56 Raw Meat

Thu Oct 23 21:53:11 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 56 Raw Meat

Thu Oct 23 21:58:33 2008 cdmrnaruto withdrew 56 Raw Meat

Sat Oct 25 01:56:56 2008 cdmrnaruto deposited 56 Raw Meat

How about you quit doing drugs?

No, I deposited that sulfer on the 23rd, did the thing equilivant to unplugging my computer on the 24th i woke up to find the sulfer wasn't in my storage. I did the thing equilivant to unplugging my computer and when i logged back in my sulfer was back in my storage.

The uncooked meat on the 23rd i took it out of my storage, put it back in, and dropped it. After doing the thing equilivant to unplugging my computer twice, on the 24th, it was back in my inventory and i put it in the storage that night (would the logs happen to be in GMT, i haven't logged on at all today)

You are bullshting.

I am saying, if, for example, i unplug my computer with the el window and my character in VoTD, The next time i log on i will logging in I find myself in Tirnwood Vale with the 57 meat in my invintory that i put in the storage before i logged off.

Nice to see you changing your story like that. If you bullshit again, ever, and cause me to waste my time, you are out for good.