Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Language selection window usage - tie to el.cfg setting

I just noticed that the 1.6.0 client release (at least the linux zip file) shipped with language="en" set in el.ini. This means that the language selection window will not open the first time new users run the client; it must be "" for that. An easy mistake to make, I only just thought about it myself, but it defeats the object of having the window. So, I've just added a flag to the el.cfg that, if not set, caused the window to open too; language="" still causes the window to open. Hopefully this is OK with everyone but I thought I'd post here before committing so that people know the reason and can stop me if necessary. :P

Sure, but that won't change things much, because if I forget about the "en" then I will likely forget about the other option as well.

I guess the answer to this is better QA from players..

Sure, but that won't change things much, because if I forget about the "en" then I will likely forget about the other option as well.

I guess the answer to this is better QA from players..

Ah, stupid me, it was late and I managed to convince myself that the client shipped without the el.cfg file. Now I see it there large as life. So I guess this is an issue for the rules window too. May be we could take these flags out of el.cfg and put them into a separate file, that does not get shipped with the release. Or link the release number with these flags - re-accepting the rules & language with a new release does not sound unreasonable. May be I shouldn't worry too much and just help more with that release QA....

Why not add a "select language" button to the options window, too?

Possibly, but the window is meant to just open when you first start a freshly installed client, once your language is selected, you might never see the window again.

Or, how about not including the el.cfg file in the release? if the file is missing the cleint builds it with default values anyways.

Or, how about not including the el.cfg file in the release? if the file is missing the client builds it with default values anyways.

Which is great. As the client expects to find el.cfg in the users config directory, we should be fine if its shipped or not. The problem is when the clever open_file_config() call fails to find the file in the users config directory, it checks the local directory. Therefore, normally finds the version shipped with the release. If this particular open_file_config() call didn't do that, a new install would always make a clean el.cfg file and we'd be sorted. I'm tempted to make this file an exception from the "look in local directory if not found in the config directory" rule. Any thoughts on that?

Isn't that in el.ini?

Not sure I understand the question but the defaults are hard-wired into the code so we should be fine with them.

Edited by bluap

I've committed my changes. If the el.cfg file does not exist in the config directory, a clean file will be created even if an el.cfg file exists in the data directory. This ensures the language selection and the rules windows are always opened for a new install (or a new config directory).

Edited by bluap