Eternal Lands Official Forums
extrapolation

Am I using the wrong client?

I use the latest official client to connect to the main server, but i find some problems using the same client on the PK server. Around the time of the 1.6.0 update the PK server update was delayed a little, and we were told to expect a few problems, like falling through the floor at votd docks.

I still have that problem even now :/ and also just now I found out I can't harvest the red roses in Isle of the Forgotten at 99,95.

I don't fall through the floor in votd on the main server, and I can harvest those red roses in IOTF too.

Can anyone enlighten me...?

I use the latest official client to connect to the main server, but i find some problems using the same client on the PK server. Around the time of the 1.6.0 update the PK server update was delayed a little, and we were told to expect a few problems, like falling through the floor at votd docks.

I still have that problem even now :/ and also just now I found out I can't harvest the red roses in Isle of the Forgotten at 99,95.

I don't fall through the floor in votd on the main server, and I can harvest those red roses in IOTF too.

Can anyone enlighten me...?

actually yes your map files are pulling from a different area. I had major issues at first. I looked to see where the pk maps were kept and moved the map files to that area. That got rid of most of the bugs

Can you clarify this? I thought all the map files were in C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\maps (I'm talking the .elm file, not the .bmp tab-map files). The map files C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\My Documents\Eternal Lands\main\maps are just for map-marks. What did you move where to fix falling in holes and such?

I'm confused too. I did complete reinstall (including maps) with the latest client. I even wiped my application support files except for my counters and spells, which means I should be using only the latest maps.

Did I miss something? How aren't you falling through the ground?

Iam also having problems that i dont have on main

Holes in maps DP store, pv also some others

(maybe this is my 6seriers nforce card) but also laggs so much but seems not to on main)

Handy Thor

Banedon may be right - his post reminded me that i have *R* maps for main, and for some reason i have official .bmps for PK.. and i cant work out why, i cant find the official .bmps anywhere at all.

I overwrote the original .bmps in the Program Files\Eternal Lands\maps folder. I even did a search of my whole computer for 'cont2' in the file name of images, and only *R* maps were returned by this :S

Remember that each server can have it's own data_dir set ... which can affect a lot.

Does data_dir mean installation folder? I've just downloaded it all again and installed on a clean disk partition, and still cant harvest those roses.

(The new installation uses the same files in the My Documents folder as the old installation used.)

#data_dir is an option in EL.INI which tells the client where to look for the game data, like the maps, skeletons, 2d stuff etc.

This option allows you to specify a directory other than the current directory to load data from.
This needs to be set to where you installed EL.
For Windows users, the default is "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands\".
For Gentoo users, the ebuild installs in /usr/share/games/eternal-lands.
#data_dir = "d:\Eternal Lands"

Piper

Thanks Piper... well i checked my error logs and found this:

[19:43:56] Using the server profile: pk
[19:43:56] Warning: Didn't find your data_dir, using the current directory instead. Please correct this in your el.ini . Given data_dir was: "c:\Program Files\Eternal Lands"
[19:43:58] Error opening sound configuration file

This error log is from running G:\Program files\eternal lands\el.exe, and has the problem of falling through the docks.

(my normal installation is on E:, the new one i made today is on G:)

so i went to My Documents\Eternal Lands\PK, and changed the data_dir in el.ini to the aforementioned new installation (on G:)... and ran G:\program files\eternal lands\el.exe again, and i still fall through the floor in votd docks.

and the error log says this:

[20:05:38] Using the server profile: pk
[20:05:39] Error opening sound configuration file

I understand how a bad data_dir value in the el.ini could have been A problem, but as far as i can tell it isnt what MY problem is...

Same problems here (holes in maps nort able to enter zafghal castle in Zirak etc)

and only in PK server

after new clean install and correct #data_dir in el.ini

Remember that each server can have it's own data_dir set ... which can affect a lot.

Agreed, i had a wrong #data_dir on all 3 servers main/test/pk.

o There was a hole in DP sto on PK server

o No hole in DP sto on main server

o No hole in DP sto on test server

Then i fixed the 3 EL.INI's by specifying a correct #data dir

o There is a hole in DP sto on PK server

So my conclusion is: The PK server has (again?) old maps.

(i thought, that was fixed once, but im not completely sure about that)

Piper

Edit: you will fall into the hole when you just go from the entrance to Grim or vice versa.

Edited by The_Piper

Agreed, i had a wrong #data_dir on all 3 servers main/test/pk.

o There was a hole in DP sto on PK server

Then i fixed the 3 EL.INI's by specifying a correct #data dir

o There is a hole in DP sto on PK server

So my conclusion is: The PK server has (again?) old maps.

(i thought, that was fixed once, but im not completely sure about that)

Piper

Edit: you will fall into the hole when you just go from the entrance to Grim or vice versa.

It may be the way Mine setup. For some reason Mine setup that all the player stats including maps are in c:\users\username\mydocuments\PK, and main server is c:\users\username\mydocuments\main.

now the only issue I have found and needs to be updated for is the R map for WVF. Also I know of this issue from one of the updates. I could not see where the iron was moved in EVTR until I updated my map sets.

REason being was that I had an old map that still had rock covering where the new iron was. I went out to ranger map reinstalled just that map and it worked fine.

So far I have not found any of the holes that you guys are talking about.

I was told in Main that what was happening is that I was telling the server to harv here (where old iron was) and the server was responding no harvestable here. therefore I was unable to harv iron. My maps did not match the server map. THis could be the same with the holes in the ground. Your maps are saying it is solid floor at x lvl, and the server is returning no the floor is at this lvl. THerefore you see ground but there is no ground there.

Lonewolfe

Edited by Banedon

I trimmed down my EL's to only one client (PK) and got my el.ini correct but still have the map problems. Can't think of any other things to try, server side, I guess? :D

thats what piper said, and i agree with him.

and i didnt really understand banedon's post, it only makes sense to me if i assume he still has old .elm files and uses them even now on the PK server :D

thats what piper said, and i agree with him.

and i didnt really understand banedon's post, it only makes sense to me if i assume he still has old .elm files and uses them even now on the PK server :)

I may have copied the old .elm files thus fixing the issue.

OK for all maps with issues if you copy your old 1.5 elm file you will fix this issues. I checked it and that is actually what I did. I copied my whole 1.5 maps folder off my server over to the new client.

Edited by Banedon