Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bkc56

"sit lock" for ranged weapons

After some playing with bows/arrows on the test server, I've found a large frustration that needs a fix. If you're trying to click on something that's moving and miss, you go through a couple seconds of putting away your bow and starting to walk. You then waste a couple more seconds getting yourself stopped and re-equipping the bow.

We need the equivalent of the "sit lock" configuration option that basically say: Enable this to prevent your character from moving by accident when you are using ranged weapons.

It could even use the sit lock option, and you use the sit/stand command/icon to "lock" your character in place (the icon shows you sitting to suggest you can't move).

I don't care that much about the implementation and UI, but I think we're going to need something like that or it's going to be really hard to fight with moving targets.

Well it seems to me that using a bow and arrow IS hard with moving targets. Why should it be seamless and smooth here? I expect people who really use bows and arrows, especially back in olden times, struggled a lot with the bulkiness and weight of the quiver, bow, and arrows and did not easily stand in one place easily reloading in a flash.

Why should it be seamless and smooth here?
No one ever suggested, implied, or even hinted that is should be easy.

I expect people who really use bows and arrows...
If you're going to play the "real life" card, then I guess I can too. :) No one in real life puts away their bow, arrows, and walks a few steps every time they miss the target.

I shall try the above suggested ALT key and see if that helps.

Not so much using the "real life" card as working with what we've got. It shouldn't be seamless but on the other hand, there are only so many animations we can work with. I doubt the exact movements can be replicated easily, if at all. (staggering around, losing one's balance, tripping, dropping the arrows or bow, etc)

I've been working with this both on test server and ingame now and it really is not a huge obstacle, especially if it's the same for everybody. *shrugs*

Just to make it clear for future readers:

As Schmurk says, use the alt key to attack with ranging.

The alt+click behaviour was specifically changed for ranging, so you don't start walking when you miss-click a (moving) target. :)