Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Server stress test

We expect a lot of players starting with 4th of February, due to the c't magazine.

We do not know how many players to expect, but it can very well be that 10K or new users will come that day.

So I would like to do a little server stress test today, in order to make sure everything will go well.

My goal is to have at least 1500 players connected at one time. So we will need everyone to bring all their alts online for about 5-10 minutues, after I announce it in the game. If you do not have alts, please create 2-3 of them, log in with them on my mark (not before, not after), then once you are done with them, please delete them.

When the test starts (on my mark only), and you bring your alts on, please move them a little bit around, to simulate a 'real life' environment.

There is a small but non zero possibility for the server to crash, so you should do a #save just in case, right after my final announcement.

log in with them on my mark (not before, not after), then once you are done with them, please delete them.

That is 'killme yes' command to delete a char?

Remark:

Be careful when using #killme yes. Make sure you have the right window open, so you don't erase your main by accident.

Maybe stupid of me to think it may happen, but...

...it is possible. Good idea to warn :confused:

btw, some time information:

EST 4pm =

WET/GMT 9pm

CET 10pm

That was for people who are too lazy to look into wikipedia :D

edit: I hate global time -.-

Edited by Helios_IV

...it is possible. Good idea to warn :D

btw, some time information:

EST 4pm =

WET/GMT 9pm

CET 10pm

CST 2am

JST 3am

That was for people who are too lazy to look into wikipedia :D

Actually, I beleive the time in CST is 3PM, not 2AM. :confused:

Either way, should we also beg for free stuff? Just to make it... more realistic?

Maybe even talk to tutorial NPC?

(on your mark, of course)

Either way, should we also beg for free stuff? Just to make it... more realistic?

Maybe even talk to tutorial NPC?

(on your mark, of course)

lmao i can imagine it now 200 'alts' askin 'how do i eat' and 'gimme free st00f!'

Hell i gonna be on ip just for the giggle :doze:

Edited by Stormie

lmao i can imagine it now 200 'alts' askin 'how do i eat' and 'gimme free st00f!'

I think Maxine and Molime would disable channel 1 :omg:

I think Maxine and Molime would disable channel 1 :omg:

German channel is obvious alternative. Or simply local chat :omg:

I have never had my two characters logged on at the same time. Do I need two+ clients to have two+ characters running at the same time? If I log off a character it will stay in game for a few minutes, but not 10 minutes, and I won't be able to move it around, obviously. Should I just not worry about doing this? :doze:

I have never had my two characters logged on at the same time. Do I need two+ clients to have two+ characters running at the same time? If I log off a character it will stay in game for a few minutes, but not 10 minutes, and I won't be able to move it around, obviously. Should I just not worry about doing this? :doze:

You can open a new EL window just by re-clicking on your desk top icon , but depending on your computer having more than one window open might be very laggy

If there is a better way to do it hopefully someone will say

You can open a new EL window just by re-clicking on your desk top icon , but depending on your computer having more than one window open might be very laggy

If there is a better way to do it hopefully someone will say

Ooooohhhh. *comes the dawn*

I never even thought to try that. Thanks. :doze: With my really slow connection it will be very laggy and maybe freeze, but I'll try.

Edited by peino

Would having an invasion at the same time help out with stressing the server?

:P

Invasion of non aggressive creatures around(or near) storages indeed seems interesting as that would strain bandwidth even more.. But thats up to Radu to decide :D

win xp sp2

933 pII 384 ram

265mb gforce nvidia

-----------------------

Opened up two instances.

Got great lag with them both, and re synced a couple times.

When bringing both to IP, I experienced black screen and some local chat, but graphics never loaded.

Both char got grued twice.

------------------------

Closed both char, & attempted to re log.

Ran with some lag with one char.

Edited by DormantSouL

I create 2 extra altes ´so i had 3 with my normal alts on, it was verry laggy on my laptop so i don't can do more :/

The #killme command don't work on those alts: i not alowed to do that, lol. maybe i hold them for the next test :P

but no crash thats the good side on it :D

Ok, thanks everyone for the test.

Just FYI, with about 1.1K connection, the server was at about 30% CPU, so I think we will be able to handle 1.5-2K connections at a time.

If we'll have more than that, I would expect some lag. If the new players will actually stay in the game (as opposed to just checking it out and leaving), I guess we'll need a new server.

I was able to get 8 characters on. My main lagged out once during the mass #beam to the fire place. BabyRadu also lagged out in White Stone. Other than those to instances, everything ran well.

o.O you have an alt called babyradu?