Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
larrystorch

Invasion specific spells

First of all, I don't know if this is possible to implement. If not, then we can just ignore this suggestion.

Some of the lower level people have stated that they dont feel like they can contribute in the large Idaloran invasions because they can't cast harm or poison for major damage or go toe to toe against the giants let alone the dragons. SO I was thinking that there could be spell(s) that they could cast that would help others.

Mass Shield spell: Created a magic shield that affects all character in a "X" foot radius of the caster. Armor is increased by 3. Spell follows the caster.

Sigils: Create Global Matter Protection

Essences: 1 Magic 1 Matter

Required Level: 10

Mana Required: 15

Reason: This would give a lower level character a reason to be with groups of fighters/caster as they go searching for invasion monsters. They will be able to learn fighting skills as they watch others and learn where NOT to stand. :whistle: A 3 increase in armor might not seem like much, but it does help.

Hopefully others can think of other good spells that would fit the idea of group spells for invasions. Of course it has to be doable from the programming stand point.

Hm... I think Entropy already thought of this when he came up with the mines. If somebody can link you to his blog, you'll see the few paragrahps he wrote about this idea.

I do want more magic in-game, however. 3 Purely offensive spells just doesn't cut it, especially when you've got Magic Immunity to counter it, and little practice at clicking spells.

There have been several posts about adding new spells, I don't think any moderators/developers responded on 'em. But, I think that *may* mean they'll have some new things planned for when missles (arrows) can be used.

"Melf's Acid Arrow" :blush:

There have been several posts about adding new spells, I don't think any moderators/developers responded on 'em. But, I think that *may* mean they'll have some new things planned for when missles (arrows) can be used.

I think they do, but also alot of people suggest new fanciful spells which might be another reason they don't get responded to often. I think this topic should be treated differently since it is not really suggesting specific spells, but the idea of low magic level cooperation in invasions. And as level spread is often an issue surrounding invasions, some solutions revolving around magic (since it is the skill used at present) would be nice.

Mines might help also as long as younger players can afford them.

*Cough* Baldur's Gate *Cough*

But something similiar would be pretty sweet... Arrows you can fire using magic with a chance to poison... Who doesn't like? :P

@Kailo: Uhm... I've never seen a suggested spell responded to here. Not all would require lots of special effects / eye candy. Personally, I wouldn't mind if we did get a few new spells and they didn't have effects, it's only nice if they do :D

*Cough* Baldur's Gate *Cough*

Isn't BG based on ADnD rules by the way? :happy:

I wasn't denying that... Just saying where the idea came from. I don't have a clue what ADnD means, sorry.

I don't have a clue what ADnD means, sorry.

Do you live under a rock? :blink:

And to be on topic, such a spell would be difficult to implement, and not so much useful.

Do you live under a rock? :D

And to be on topic, such a spell would be difficult to implement, and not so much useful.

Yes, do you? :) I've been playing D&D and variants for almost 25 years and I think it's been out for 30 years :)

Thanks Ent. I was thinking it might be too much to implement, but didn't hurt to ask :blink:

DnD? No, never heard of it :D

Off-topic geek-chat: I've never actually played DnD in physical / RL form. Baldur's Gate was the closest I got, and even that got tiring after awhile; Uber-hard Warrior-Mage character in the end with Staff of the Heavens constantly flaming the hell outta my Level eight Mage... Even with elemental protection & magic immunity scrolls and potions he dies every time! I play it for fun now, when I wanna start randomly throwing lightning bolts at innocent peasants.

Damn Flaming Fist Soldiers! I recall getting my reputation down to -18 and every map I went onto 3-4 Warriors and 1 Uber-hard Mage would appear. Even the damn Fireball spell wouldn't work... So I got used to having my Paladin (I think it she was a Paladin anyway) summoning a seemingly endless army of Skeletons. They are extremely useful for fighting Sirens/Kobolds.

BG is pretty fun, the spells in it are really quite awesome. Don't think about implementing any Level 50 Warriors with magic immunity and an endless supply of arcane / weapons at their disposal though. :icon13:

Aphistolas is uber-geek when it comes to that, but I don't have a Scooby about "ADnD" (typo?).

On-topic:

@Ent: I thought you already had something like this planned? You mentioned something like "If mines can be set to detonate when a player comes into (x) number of tiles, I started thinking if I could apply this to other items in-game."

Of course, that's only the jist of what you said.... Jeez, I should get on your blog more. More magic, Ftw.

Edited by Aphistolas

Of course, I'm a total programming-retard* but couldn't some of the same system be applied to global magic spells? I.E. If three people are standing close by, and one person casts (x) multi-spell, it would also charm the other two nearby.

Don't reply if I'm talking nonsense, It was my exam-results day today, :P

* I'm using that word not offensively, or trying to insult anybody.

The same system can not be applied. I COULD implement a new system, but that requires a lot of work, and there are more important things to do (arrows, pets, player cities, etc.)