Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Test the storage, part 2

Just a quick summary or I might fall asleep while typing:

With the help of Jaxbot and Adranbach and guildstorage we managed to get my storage filled up to 266 slots. A few observations:

- Sometimes the trade fails saying I have no space in inventory, while trade should go to storage.

- not all trades result in a save

- it is impossible to see the content of the hazmat

- I didnt seem to get a chatlog (due to same path error as for harvesting?)

- as far as i could tell no problems with putting items in storage and/or retrieving them, I made a few items and retrieved tools and ingreds without problem.

I hope this helps, might do some more testing tomorrow after fixing the path.

- Sometimes the trade fails saying I have no space in inventory, while trade should go to storage.
This is a pre-existing server-side bug afaik.

- not all trades result in a save
This is because the server will only save you if you haven't been saved in the last 5 minutes iirc.

- it is impossible to see the content of the hazmat
Not sure about this one... do you mean you can't see the hazardous storage at all?

- I didnt seem to get a chatlog (due to same path error as for harvesting?)
Your logs and other config data is stored in the directory listed when you start the client. This directory is not your data directory! This is a more correct way of doing things (separating configuration and data) but mostly due to vaguely increased security in Vista. It also means the Windows client acts the same as the Linux and OSX clients.

Under Windows your config directory is most probably something like:

c:\Documents and Settings\windows username\Application Data\elc\

/edit: Damn typos

Edited by Torg

Had just found the chatlog and other files, directory is hidden by default.

Harvesting is now fixed.

I could not figure out how to find out what the content of my hazmat storage is, short of going there and talking to the storage NPC. When using the #sto command only the regular storage items are displayed, so no way to see hazmat content without going there.

Edited by Maxine

When visiting c2 Hazmat everything looks and works normal. Items can be stored and retrieved to/from Hazmat.

Going to sleep for a few hours :P

Ok, do you see the hazmat category when you open your storage with the #sto command?

I didn't seem to have any problems viewing the items I have in hazmat using the #sto command (did you scroll all the way to the bottom, past the Quest category?) , CVS as of 10 minutes previous to this post. And I can now withdraw the items above 200, that I was unable to before. My snares are still not visible to me, with the updated zip, but not sure if there was a fix implemented/necessary on that. The other mines, caltrops etc, are of course visible, and they all work as expected. Will now try for more items in storage :P

Edit : and by snares visible, I mean when they are deployed, all are visible when I look at them in storage or #sto, no problems there

Edited by SinS

I have the hazmat and quest category now, not sure if they were there earlier, I did look at my books a lot and thought that was always the last category, but it was late/early and my brain was fried :S

Snares are visible under misc, as in the old version. Don't have mines (yet).

Will try to go get more items later.

Max

edit:

Went shopping and got predictor/indicator stones and now have 281 items in storage. No problem with retrieval, but when I try to identify the stones while at/in storage it claims that I see 'coal','tin ore', 'special swords book', 'wood logs', 'deer fur', 'bones', 'black rose', 'potion of mana', 'potion of summoning'...

Same misidentification if I use the #sto command

edit2: see siggy. Tried 301 items :P

Edited by Maxine

Went shopping and got predictor/indicator stones and now have 281 items in storage. No problem with retrieval, but when I try to identify the stones while at/in storage it claims that I see 'coal','tin ore', 'special swords book', 'wood logs', 'deer fur', 'bones', 'black rose', 'potion of mana', 'potion of summoning'...

Same misidentification if I use the #sto command

Hmmmm, I'll take a look.

Ok, the fix should be in CVS. Please test it for me cos I don't have anywhere near enough items. :-P

Edited by Torg

As for the list, it might come back in the future under some form or another, but that's not a priority right now.
While I almost never use the "#sto" command to generate a full listing, I use "#sto <pattern>" all the time to check on the count of specific things. From my point-of-view it's going to be a serious loss if we can't do that anymore. Call it something different like #stosea (for StorageSearch) or something with a required parameter/string, but please keep the ability to do a text command query of storage.

As for the list, it might come back in the future under some form or another, but that's not a priority right now.
While I almost never use the "#sto" command to generate a full listing, I use "#sto <pattern>" all the time to check on the count of specific things. From my point-of-view it's going to be a serious loss if we can't do that anymore. Call it something different like #stosea (for StorageSearch) or something with a required parameter/string, but please keep the ability to do a text command query of storage.

Absolutely, i use it all the time to see how much gc's, leather, steel shields, whatever i have in storage.

But then add plz too how many slots of storage are used, thats the only reason why i use the #sto command without a pattern right now.

And yes, no need for the full list from the #sto command with 300 storage slots in game, but something like #sto pattern plus the info how much storage slots are used (server sided, of course) is really handy.

Piper

But then add plz too how many slots of storage are used, thats the only reason why i use the #sto command without a pattern right now.
Assuming you mean with the old/current version, not on the test server... "#sto slo" (or slot, if you prefer)

Assuming you mean with the old/current version, not on the test server... "#sto slo" (or slot, if you prefer)

Yes, something like that. But i guess that will be gone when the #sto command just opens the storage's window.

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

On test server, just type #storage. It opens the storage interface, but sends you a white text (hit F1 in case it scrolls off your window) with something to the nature of "You have 202 out of 300 slots used."

Thus #storage is all-purpose. Gives you the interface and a indicator of num slots used

One bug found: when storage windows is used in storage, after typing #sto it became unaccessible. same as if typing #sto while trading

That's not a bug. If you already have the storage window open, there is no need to type #sto.

I have a possibly related problem, possibly a question if it's supposed to be that way, which would be kind of counterintuitive:

standing right next to the storage npc, typing #sto, the storage window pops up but I can't withdraw or deposit items. :P

this is with CVS client as of a few minutes ago (tested at evtr and votd storage).

(I can see hazardous items and have a quest category (makes me curious :hehe:))

When i type #sto in my like 14 hours old CVS client, the storage window opens *AND* the inventory window too, which is IMO just a waste of space on the screen. The inventory window should not be displayed IMO.

Piper

I have a possibly related problem, possibly a question if it's supposed to be that way, which would be kind of counterintuitive:

standing right next to the storage npc, typing #sto, the storage window pops up but I can't withdraw or deposit items. :)

this is with CVS client as of a few minutes ago (tested at evtr and votd storage).

(I can see hazardous items and have a quest category (makes me curious :P))

The alternative would mean if you were at William (bestest storage in all of Portland) you wouldn't be able to see how much mercury you had saved up. Consider #storage a view-only glance at your st00fz. Clicking on NPC would be an interactive access to your st00fz (pending which storage type you were at)

standing right next to the storage npc, typing #sto, the storage window pops up but I can't withdraw or deposit items. :)
This is on purpose because it can't tell which type of storage to load until you click on the NPC to open that storage.

As Ghrae said think of #sto as only looking at your storage. And as a bonus you can see _all_ your storage, both normal and hazardous.

When i type #sto in my like 14 hours old CVS client, the storage window opens *AND* the inventory window too, which is IMO just a waste of space on the screen. The inventory window should not be displayed IMO.
This is because the client was not changed. All that occurred was the server started sending the "open storage window" command instead of a large stream of storage text. Because of this, there isn't a way to tell the difference between the results of clicking on an NPC or typing #sto.

IMO we should probably add a flag to the protocol to specify if the storage is being viewed or opened. This would then only open the necessary windows, and we could code the storage window change visibly or to not allow dragging if being viewed.

(I can see hazardous items and have a quest category (makes me curious :P))

The alternative would mean if you were at William (bestest storage in all of Portland) you wouldn't be able to see how much mercury you had saved up.

Well, the question whether the hazardous stuff was visible came up above and I'm still curious as to what will go into a "quest" category :)

Consider #storage a view-only glance at your st00fz. Clicking on NPC would be an interactive access to your st00fz (pending which storage type you were at)

Yes, of course, that's how it works now. Stating the obvious doesn't make the usage less counterintuitive though :)

Is there a reason for it to work the way it does now other than increasing storage bug reports on forums and adding a pita layer to the user interface while restricting actual storage access to the previous method?

I think it would make much more sense from a user's perspective for #sto/#storage to open the real storage and not some read only preview when in range of a storage npc. And then make it so that you can always see all categories but can only deposit or withdraw at the right storage (color code the restricted categories in e.g. dark gray).

edit @ torg: ok, yes. If there was something to tell that it's the read only version I am looking at, that would work I suppose :) (Still would prefer something to the effect of what I proposed above, if we need a protocol change might as well go all the way :P)

Edited by Ermabwed

edit @ torg: ok, yes. If there was something to tell that it's the read only version I am looking at, that would work I suppose :) (Still would prefer something to the effect of what I proposed above, if we need a protocol change might as well go all the way :P)
Actually, that's the funny bit about it. The protocol change was redundant and reversed when Ent decided to change how the server responded.

I think the server detecting if you are in-range of a storage, and which one would be relatively simple to code, but that is something that is up to Ent. He may well have other priorities. It would be useful if he or Learner could at least adjust the protocol to send a flag specifying which type of access you have.

For now, I think that the easiest way to ake the client not open the items window is to check if the storage has a "quests" category. That's kind of a dirty hack, but I don't want to change the protocol yet again for this update, since we do not send any flags right now.

For now, I think that the easiest way to ake the client not open the items window is to check if the storage has a "quests" category. That's kind of a dirty hack, but I don't want to change the protocol yet again for this update, since we do not send any flags right now.

I've been experimenting with this and its simple to do. In addition to not opening the items window, you can disable picking up items from storage and also set the title name to something else. I've currently added "(readonly)" to the title bar if it was open using "#sto". Almost all this new code can remain unchanged if another method is used to detect the two types of storage. If you'd like this change or something similar done, let me know and I'll work on cleaning it up tomorrow.

I've been experimenting with this and its simple to do. In addition to not opening the items window, you can disable picking up items from storage and also set the title name to something else. I've currently added "(readonly)" to the title bar if it was open using "#sto". Almost all this new code can remain unchanged if another method is used to detect the two types of storage. If you'd like this change or something similar done, let me know and I'll work on cleaning it up tomorrow.

I was thinking possibly about somehow "greying out" the storage to show it can't be accessed, but that might be too complex or confusing. Alternatively change the colour of the storage lines to red or something? Maybe.

Anyways... it's all good.

If you'd like this change or something similar done, let me know and I'll work on cleaning it up tomorrow.

Well I worked on cleaning it up anyway ;)

I've submitted it as a patch so people can have a look and see if its wanted.

If the storage is open using an NPC, there is no difference.

If it is opened using "#sto" several things are done.

- The inventory is not opened, though it remains open if it was already.

- The window title has (view only) appended to the end.

- The items grid is coloured grey.

- Left clicking to pick up an item is disabled, it just acts like a right click.

- Dragging from the inventory does nothing. Though a sound is played - alert1.

Edited by bluap