Eternal Lands Official Forums
Marcvs

Draia's timezones

Now that Astrology is introduced, we can suppose that Draia is a spherical-like planet (if Draia is a planet on a star sistem, and there are other planets that goes on circular or elliptical trayectories around the central star, we can suppose that it is like the solar sistem: spherical planets around a spherical sun).

If in Eternal lands there is a clock-like sistem (we all know how it's work: 6 hours is a day), we can suppose that Draia rotates on his vertical axis (vertical to the "ecliptic" plane), because this generates the alternation between day and night, as happens for our kind real planet, earth.

And so: why Seridia and Irilium have the same timezone? We have to suppose that they are on the same meridian (as for the Americas)? Or, if not, why not giving them different timezones? Of couse, while the alternance of day and night doesn't influence our life (except for the gargoyles, the solar flare day, the perception and so on) this wuold be probably a nonsense idea, but it will gives to our beloved game a little bit more of reality.

following this reasoning, we can imagine that, in future, we can have different chance to make an item if is day or night (we can suppose that our capacity to work changes from the day to the night): this will encourage people to travel between C1 and C2 (and C3??) more often.

The borns of new continents (if will be so) can follow that rule...

Marcvs

P.S.:I have made several searches before posting this...I hope that this is not a copy of an old topic :devlish:

And so: why Seridia and Irilium have the same timezone? We have to suppose that they are on the same meridian (as for the Americas)? Or, if not, why not giving them different timezones? Of couse, while the alternance of day and night doesn't influence our life (except for the gargoyles, the solar flare day, the perception and so on) this wuold be probably a nonsense idea, but it will gives to our beloved game a little bit more of reality.

No offense but I'm not so thrilled with timezones in real life either :devlish: Not so sure I want to struggle with them here too :devlish:

One could view this in a very positive way. That is, the developers of the game have stated that they like to have people explore and to use as many different things in the game as possible. Having time zones and thus different astrological effects on different continents would encourage people to go explore. And it ads a certain degree of reality and complexity to the game that encourages people to THINK about how they play rather than mindlessly levelling in an automated mode.

However, I would counter your suggestion with factual evidence that the world is NOT ROUND! I have seen the edge of the world (actually there are several edges) and am quite certain that if we were not prevented from walking too far, our characters would fall off the edge of the world never to be seen nor heard from again! :)

One problem with this is that C2 was made to be more complex and difficult than C1. I'm not sure we want people forced over there who aren't ready for it simply because it is night time.

(Assuming more time dependant things were added, otherwise this really would have no purpose)

Why should the time have to change (Whitestone standard time is used by all people across the known world, or some such)?

Just have it so sunrise/sunset/etc is offset by a half hour or whatever when you change continents (for bonus points, the new sky can be adjusted, not just for where it's up to in rotation, but also offset north/south).

I had a patch to do the first part years ago (it's really quite a simple change, just messing with the sun position table), the main thing would be deciding where the continents are, globally.

Edited by ttlanhil

#Message from The_Piper: Contest starts at 3:30 game time!

[PM from n00b: Which time is that when im in palon vertas plx?????]

No.

Piper

hahahahhaa thats gold

S.