Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
extrapolation

carry capacity increase

i know ideas to increase carry capacity are unpopular among developers (i did a search ;) ) but this idea fits in with the general risk = rewards theme that the whole game is about

say you can increase your carry capacity by a max of 100 emu, but for every 10 emu you carry your carrying above your normal limit you lose 1 HP every few seconds ( like with poison).

noobs woulnt be able to make too much use of this, they would have to do a lot of healing between CC sulphur and DP storage, which they cant afford, and high level players might already have about 800 emu anyway, so +100 wouldnt mess things up too badly. would be nice to see a few harvesters dying from time to time :)

numbers an be tweaked of course i pulled them out of the air just to demonstrate my idea...

hmm, i like the general idea but there needs to be an option to turn it off or on.

Example: I go semi-afk harving like I normally do and get overloaded without realising, and suddenly start to lose health - then wham, dead.

not to mention the number of newbies who may not understand it when they start the game

"i died for no reason, this game sucks" etc - not good to encourage people to stay if they lose health randomly after killing some rabbits and getting overloaded on drops.

i know ideas to increase carry capacity are unpopular among developers (i did a search ;) ) but this idea fits in with the general risk = rewards theme that the whole game is about

say you can increase your carry capacity by a max of 100 emu, but for every 10 emu you carry your carrying above your normal limit you lose 1 HP every few seconds ( like with poison).

noobs woulnt be able to make too much use of this, they would have to do a lot of healing between CC sulphur and DP storage, which they cant afford, and high level players might already have about 800 emu anyway, so +100 wouldnt mess things up too badly. would be nice to see a few harvesters dying from time to time :)

numbers an be tweaked of course i pulled them out of the air just to demonstrate my idea...

so this implementation would be UTTERLY USELESS both for newbie players and veteran ones, but it "would be nice to see harvester dying from time to time".

hey, this is development forum, not sadistic one.

so this implementation would be UTTERLY USELESS both for newbie players and veteran ones, but it "would be nice to see harvester dying from time to time".

not utterly useless at all, i would use this feature, would mean i make 20 more steel bars for every long run i make into the cave. too much of an EMU boost would mess the market up a bit, but +100 emu for the few players that are willing to take some risk wont (afaik) make too much of a difference on a large scale

It seems like a nice idea to me though :) It would be nice if you could harvest more than 100 emu, but let the damage increase exponential above it ;)

hehe yes i agree, as long as its ridiculously risky then you can raise it above +100.

+200 should be a lot more expensive in HE and SRs, so that no one really does it.

if it was linear (like my original suggestion) you could easily carry 20k emu for short times with a com full of mana and a few HE, which is neither realistic nor desirable

to expand on the on/off idea (i agree its needed) and incorporate cycloonx's idea, the player should have to enter the max EMU he wants to carry, and then when that's reached you cant load more. this also stops people dying when they accidentally pick up 10k iron ore.

another thought - this idea could be abused if someone harvests into a bag for a day, week, month, year or more, and then carries it all to storage, by dropping the bag just a moment before the damage hits, and picking it up again after. might sound stupidly slow and difficult, but one walk to storage that takes 3x as long is better than 10k walks to storage with all your ore. dunno what can be done about this...

another thought (this idea gets worse the more i think about it) - what about when you die (with rost) and land in the underworld overloaded? die again?

Edited by extrapolation

As others said, it would cause newbies to die. In fact, it will also cause afk harvesters to die, and there is no significant benefit to it.

turn it off by default,

player than has to take action before this can be used.

I like the idea :icon13::icon13:

Maybe use it in a (new and easy) quest, where pro's and con's are explaned and you can only do this after completing that quest

Overload is usually handled by decreased mobility.

In EL terms, you cannot move when overloaded, and penalties for all actions (skill use).

However, while this prevents OTT muling, it would allow for OTT storage characters; trading would have to be disabled when overloaded to counter this.

Really though, even with this there would have to still be a cap.

Personally though, I'd prefer to see CC increased through devices which give their own limitations, such as backpacks (no capes, combat penalties) or wheelbarrows & handcarts (2 handed equip) -- I'd love to see Dwarfs leaving the mines pushing wheelbarrows, or a merchant trundling along the road with a hardcart (cannot go indoors or underground).

Edited by trollson

Personally though, I'd prefer to see CC increased through devices which give their own limitations, such as backpacks (no capes, combat penalties) or wheelbarrows & handcarts (2 handed equip) -- I'd love to see Dwarfs leaving the mines pushing wheelbarrows, or a merchant trundling along the road with a hardcart (cannot go indoors or underground).

:)

Great idea!