Eternal Lands Official Forums
Vanyel

Mortos Challenge

That's correct. We faced the same problem last year. It is not possible to solve without a complete new arena or complete rebuilding the one in Tahraji Desert. Moreover, it is completely impossible to control.

Perhaps a single map that is a Roman Coliseum (But within the common EL design) for both contests

and to allow Spectators to watch large PK battles? An Arena is excellent, but even the previous contest

proved the existing arenas are also not designed for these events. Perhaps something unique that allows players to observe invisible (No rendering) and separate local chat from the fighters and 'ringmaster'.

Anshar has designed such an arena quite a while back, it isn't like we couldn't figure out what was needed ourselves :w00t: However, there are various things that hold such a map up, such as mapmaker availability and technical issues that would need some new coding.

Edit: pffft anshar was how many seconds faster? :D

That's correct. We faced the same problem last year. It is not possible to solve without a complete new arena or complete rebuilding the one in Tahraji Desert. Moreover, it is completely impossible to control.

Perhaps a single map that is a Roman Coliseum (But within the common EL design) for both contests

and to allow Spectators to watch large PK battles? An Arena is excellent, but even the previous contest

proved the existing arenas are also not designed for these events. Perhaps something unique that allows players to observe invisible (No rendering) and separate local chat from the fighters and 'ringmaster'.

Anshar has designed such an arena quite a while back, it isn't like we couldn't figure out what was needed ourselves :D However, there are various things that hold such a map up, such as mapmaker availability and technical issues that would need some new coding.

Edit: pffft anshar was how many seconds faster? :P

Our mapmakers are busy with more important things at the moment. Hence, we're living with what we have

Why is every response around here condescending?

Ok. I'm not a kid. And I am a professional contract programmer. how about we say what the issues

are and why the current game engine limits this instead of condescending "don't worry your pretty little

head about it, We got it covered" response? How about we don't dissuade possible volunteers from helping

by a condescending tone?

Random thoughts:

How about a flag like invisible that doesn't render the actor? if set spectator.

Local speech range is set lower with the spectator flag and the perception is set higher.

So we have 1 map flag and one client flag so far?

I have 100% respect for Radu Privantu and Roja and all the developers who have bust their butts

in making a game I truly love. I like ever programmer that plays RPGs , makes his own quietly in the

background. So I know about the at least 5 year commitment in even starting one.

Actually I found it condescending to assume we hadn't thought about it before. And the hold up is exactly as stated, whether you are a kid or computer programmer...other items have higher priority so a new arena isn't ingame yet. In no way does that statement imply we don't appreciate people volunteering to help.

If you would like to apply to be a mapmaker, you can contact Roja or Acelon and they can guide you on how to submit an application map.

If you would like to be a coder, you can go to the programming section and offer your talents and services there. We REALLY need programmers, and have broadcast as such, that would be the way to go about it.

Actually I found it condescending to assume we hadn't thought about it before.

I'll just assume everything has been thought of already. Save me wasting my time in helping.

I thought Aislinn was a ingame player (meaning is a player too) moderator and not:

A developer

A Mapmaker

Or the owner of the game.

Why do you sound like you have replaced Radu?

Aislinn despite all your wonderful ingame moderation I'd rather be berated by someone actually involved

in the games development.

that would need some new coding.

:D if you weren't on a 24/7 power trip maybe you'd notice I was offering to help.

Edited by robotbob

I don't find your offert of help convincing. In my ears it sounds very harsh and rude. Even if you are a volunteer you should show some respect to a people working in the "organization" for a very long time.

Aislinn answered your post from the position of a person that is very well orientated what's being worked on, planned and possible at the moment. Actually, she is a developer. She doesn't need to be a programmer, mapmaker or the owner of the game for this.

To answer your suggestions. You'd just rediscovered wheel. I've been holding events for over two years now and I really know what I need and have given plenty ideas on how to do it, including

How about a flag like invisible that doesn't render the actor? if set spectator.

Local speech range is set lower with the spectator flag and the perception is set higher.

Still, even though, there's a spell "Invisibility", it would required quite a lot coding (server side), as well as aerial silence, as well as aerial true sight, as well as many others I've suggested. Try to trust on my words, this problem has been investigated very carefully. Not only by me, but also map makers and developers (including Roja and Learner). Suggestions are always welcome. Take under consideration, though, that we're struggling with this problem for over a year now and don't get upset if you are told that you ideas were already proposed.

Just a mere moderator (not programmer or the owner of the game) and hardly developer,

Anshar.

Edited by Anshar

I don't find your offert of help convincing. In my ears it sounds very harsh and rude. Even if you are a volunteer you should show some respect to a people working in the "organization" for a very long time.

Aislinn answered your post from the position of a person that is very well orientated what's being worked on, planned and possible at the moment. Actually, she is a developer. She doesn't need to be a programmer, mapmaker or the owner of the game for this.

To answer your suggestions. You'd just rediscovered wheel. I've been holding events for over two years now and I really know what I need and have given plenty ideas how to do it, including

Still, even though, there's a spell "Invisibility", it would required quite a lot coding (server side), as well as aerial silence, as well as aerial true sight, as well as many others I've suggested. Try to trust on my words, this problem has been investigated very carefully. Not only by me, but also map makers and developers (including Roja and Learner).

Just a mere moderator (not programmer or the owner of the game) and hardly developer,

Anshar.

No. sir. most suggestions are met this way.

So its been 2 years you have held events with this issue and I am a idiot for offering to find a solution?

How am I reinventing the wheel, please explain.

I am not talking about a spell. Again:

For this the same for when the actor model is not rendered when invisible. I'm talking about a flag

and not a ingame spell to cast.

Again no spell, The range the server sends local channels messages are fewer tiles and the perception and

visual range for players with the spectator flag set can see at a greater range.

I did this very thing for a First Person Shooter mod, many moons ago.

Take under consideration, though, that we're struggling with this problem for over a year now and don't get upset if you are told that you ideas were already proposed.

And I am offering to help find a solution today. And I am not upset, I'm astounded.

Ill just go back to coding my killbots and tradebot as my el coding. I don't want to rock a established organization.

Edited by robotbob

And I am offering to help find a solution today. And I am not upset, I'm astounded.

It is really nice to be so sure of oneself. Typical for heroes or...

PS.

You should read more carefully what I've written. I've mentioned the invisibility spell only because it means the effect is already in game.

Edited by Anshar

It is a really nice to be so sure of oneself. Typical for heroes or...

PS.

You should read more carefully what I've written. I've mentioned the invisibility spell only because it means the effect is already in game.

Aislinn answered your post from the position of a person that is very well orientated what's being worked on, planned and possible at the moment.

I follow the CVS. I dug through every line of bot relevant code in the EL client. I follow all the committed

changes. I understand the games protocol.

I said help and I am sure I wanted to help.

I seriously love this game. I only wanted to offer my dwindling free time to help resolve an issue.

I haven't had time to work on the Protocol Whitepaper at all the I only triggered its creation.

I like to think I have been part of this game too for the countless hours I have played and wanted to add to the

paper and the codebase itself.

Sigh :(

Edited by robotbob

I will put it this way.

A solution is already known. It is waiting for implementation. Thank you.

PS. Visit Programming forums and offer your help. We need volonteers. However, this issue is just waiting for realization.

Edited by Anshar

dont we already have the map ingame.. or was that taken out?