Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sistema

Emptiness

EMPTINESS

((I'm writing this because I have nothing else to do at the moment (well there's mapmaking, but it's too hot for that), and the weather is killing me. Don't expect anything fancy, I'm just gonna write some nonsense. It might end up really bad or really good. So here it goes.))

Prologue:

It was yet another stormy night in Hurquin. It's been raining for six days non-stop, Sistema Silverwish said to himself, wondering if there was any conflict between the gods. The sun was hidden behind the dark storm clouds, casting the whole land in brutal darkness, and its people in a feeling of deep misery. Even the joyful gnomes sank down in their chairs, miserable, doing nothing but staring with empty thoughts at each other and at random objects they fixed their eyes on in the Tiny Mushroom Tavern of Quinly Village. No, it can't be the gods, he finally decided, if it were the gods, the situation would be far worse, remembering tales of The Great War. Anything the gods were involved in would bring massive havoc to Draia -their world. But I can't just sit here in this, this, he cast hideous glances at his surroundings, Gnomish Tavern all day! Look at all the pathetic people. I mustn't sit here, no; I have my own people, my own race I should be with...

Sistema was a draegoni; a human-dragon, yet more human-like than dragon. His long, silver hair dropped down over his shoulders, reaching down to his waist. His charming blue eyes matched his shiny scales and horns. He was proud of being a draegoni, being one of the wisest to walk the lands. Seeing the foolish and pitiful humans struggling for knowledge and power made him smirk wickedly. After all, the draegoni race was known for its vast libraries which is said to contain each and every book ever written in Draian history. Yet not many have ever been able to find these libraries as they are located in extreme ends of the world, lands which are so cold that none other than the draegonies themselves could survive.

Sistema rested his elbow on the bar, slowly melting into his seat, and fell into thoughts of emptiness like the rest of the folk in the tavern, the trickling of rain and the idea of knowledge and power soothing him. Taking in a deep breath, he put his head over his hands and laid them on the bar, unaware that he was slowly falling into a comforting sleep. Power...

((Leaving it here for others to wonder what will happen next, while I think of something to write.))

Edited by Sistema

"Sistema... Sistema!!..."

I can hear someone yelling, but I don't want to wake up.

"Sistema! Wake up!!..."

No! Leave me alone...

The flash of lightning and crackling sound of thunder sprang Sistema wide awake, his hand went straight for the handle of his sword. Alerted, he looked around, not noticing much at first. His ears rang like drums, still in the effect of the thunder.

"Sistema, the weather is getting worse, the people say these buildings won't be able to resist the horrible storm much longer, everyone will be leaving-"

"What?! Leaving? Straight out into the nightmare outside?" he pointed at the window to his right.

"Yes! Sistema, we must evacuate. Else this whole building will just collapse onto us."

Looking around the tavern he realized that most of the people who had been sitting for hours and hours like zombies were now in a rush, shoving each other around, trying to find their friends and belongings. He saw babies crying, searching hopelessly for their mothers. Some of the bigger -muscular- men were marching around trying to look cool, doing practically nothing, just a waste of space, Sistema thought.

Quickly calculating the odds in his mind and coming to a conclusion, Sistema spoke, "Very well, Iora, I guess you're right. Pack my things up," he gave Iora a deep meaningful look, "and make sure you leave nothing behind. I will be waiting for you here, don't take too long."

"Yes, at once." He nodded and ran into a narrow corridor, making a quick turn to his left at the first sight of a door. Sistema sat back down on his seat, noticing that the rain really had gotten heavier. The bright flashes of lightning and sounds of thunder came more frequently now. He had never seen a storm like this before. It was absolutely not a regular storm. And now, he thought, I'm starting to think that the gods are involved with this. What exactly is going on?...

Just as his patience was about to run out, Sistema saw Iora rushing out from the corridor, almost slipping while turning the corner. Smirking, Sistema took his own backpack from him, shoved it over his back and walked towards the door. Just as he was about to open the door the bartender cried out, "You forgot to pay for the ale, traveller!"

Disgusted, Sistema took out a few coins from his leather pouch which was tied to his belt and tossed them over the counter, the short bartender catching it, "See if that will save your life from the storm, my friend,” Sistema said in a soft whisper which only he could hear. And with that said he thrust the door of the tavern open. A gust of chilling air hit him in the face, but he didn't quite notice, as draegoni were used to this type of weather. What he feared was not the weather beyond, but what was causing it. A feeling inside of him said things were not right. Putting his hood over his face, he took a step outside, into the wilderness...

((Omgomgomg, what's gonna happen next? I don't know myself, LOL!))

Edited by Sistema

*applause* quite nice. I like it :D

Sistema seems rather stuck up though... what? no... i didn't say that :pinch::icon13:

good story though, I'm intrigued. Post more soon :)

Edited by Enly

"Chilly, isn't it?" Iora asked, trying his best to sound sarcastic, but failing due to the chattering of his teeth. He rubbed his hands together, attempting to produce some heat, but it was no use; the rain had already soaked his whole body. Hopelessly, he soon gave up and just let the rain do its job.

"Here Iora, put this on," Sistema took out a warm fur cloak from his backpack, which was already quite wet, and handed it over to his friend. Iora took it with admiration, "Thank you, Sistema!" he said while putting it on. He hid his body in the cloak, feeling its soft fur with his fingers, "Ahh, that feels much better... you would probably be sweating if you had put this cloak on, wouldn't you?"

Sistema smiled. They continued to walk. It was getting hard to see.

A flash of lightning illuminated the area. Sistema looked around, observing what hadn't been visible without the temporary light. A tavern, some trees, a fence, a stray leopard, an outhouse, an Iora and nothing more... The brightness the lightning provided slowly faded away and none of those things were in sight anymore. Sistema sighed. The rain and wind kept getting heavier and faster with each minute that passed.

"Sistema," yelled Iora, realizing Sistema couldn't hear him, "Sistema, where exactly..." the wind howled, preventing his voice to be heard, "...I mean, do you..." Sistema tried to concentrate, but it was no use, "...but if we were to..."

"I can't hear you, Iora!" Sistema shouted, squinting his eyes, "I can barely see you, get closer!" he said and waited for a reply. Curses! Everything was out of sight, including Iora. He's lost. He stopped walking and searched around, at least tried. Or am I lost? He reached for the side pocket of his backpack with his hand, searching for the map of Hurquin which he had drawn earlier -before the storm had started. Feeling the hard parchment coming to the tips of his fingers he pushed a little harder, digging slightly deeper into the pocket of his backpack. Finally taking hold of the map he flicked it out. Too quick had he pulled it out, and little did he grip it in his hands, that the wind snatched it off him, luring it into the unknown. Sistema, his hand in mid-air, stared at how it slowly ventured into the darkness with empty thoughts. Emptiness. Oh great...

((I can understand why I'm setting the scene with storms and rain... it's summer here and it's HOT HOT HOT! :w00t: ))

Edited by Sistema

Sistema stared straight up into the night sky, the rain falling madly onto his face, attempting to penetrate through his skin. He could see the thick dark clouds colliding into each other, were the gods battling? If so, what in the world for? For a moment he considered returning to the tavern, but no, that would be foolish, not when his friend was missing, and not when he knew the tavern would collapse any instant. His thoughts went to the gods. Aluwen, Goddess of Life, Protection and Truth, was she having trouble in the Greater Realm? And Mortos, the evil God of Chaos and Destruction, what wickedness was he up to?

What to do, he thought. I have to find Iora, but how? Not in this weather... hmm... I could wait until it's morning, but what use would that be? The weather's not going to clear up; the same darkness is going to linger even when it's day time. Curse Mortos! A few minutes had passed and he decided to find a cave to stay in, assuming Iora would have done the same. He's smart enough not to stay out in horrible weather like this. But where would Sistema find a cave in this storm? Or how? He could hardly see the ground! Relying on his senses and on the flashes of lightning, he started forward, constantly looking around.

He could hear some gnomes screaming crazily but could not see them.

"Ooohmygosh, we'reallgonnadieee!" Sistema swiftly turned his back and saw a small gnome running straight towards him. He wanted to take a step to the side so the gnome wouldn't run into him, but it was too late. The gnome, hands in the air, smashed right into Sistema, and both fell onto the muddy ground. Before Sistema could realize what had happened he found a young gnome on top of him, looking straight into his eyes. Excitedly she spoke, "Oooo, thankyouforstoppingme, ormaybeImighthave ranintosomethingless...squishy!" she giggled at the last word.

Sistema, feeling irritated, stood up and slowly helped the gnome to her feet. After getting rid of the chunks of mud on his ruined robes he leaned down to the gnome, "What's happened, friend?"

The gnome, with huge bulging eyes hopped on the spot and pointed to where she came running from, "Thetavern, thetavern! Itcollapsed, andeveryoneisrunningnow, everyoneiseverywhere! AndI'mlost andIdon'tknowwhattodo."

Hardly understanding anything, Sistema asked her to repeat the sentence a little slower, despite knowing the gnome -like most gnomes- wouldn't be able to.

"Thetavern.... the tavern," Sistema nodded for her to continue, "Boom!" The gnome nearly slipped over while trying to demonstrate with her hands and arms how the tavern had collapsed, making weird noises here and there.

"Oh I see," Sistema finally said, "Just like Iora had predicted..." He remembered his friend and a burning feeling arose in his stomach. Paying no attention to the pain, he decided he should waste no more time and set out at once. Where are you, Iora?... He looked at the gnome; maybe she knew the way to some shelter. But looking at the gnome again -who was still fidgeting with her fingers, trying to show that the tavern was now in rubbles- he finally decided it wasn't worth it. But then again, he couldn't leave the poor thing by herself. He asked her, "What is your name, gnome?" but then he suddenly remembered.

"Giliablatrisindithiananiusthoralis-"

"No wait! Wait!!... What do your friends call you?" he asked her, thankful that he had stopped.

“Myfriendscallme Giliablatrisi" she finally said, breathing hard and somehow feeling proud of her name. Gnomes tend to have long names.

"Ok, err... Gili, from now on you will follow me, no, you shall lead me. I'm giving you an important mission. I've lost a friend of mine and I think he's in a cave somewhere in Hurquin. Can you take me to a cave you know of?"

Nodding excitedly, Gili jumped up and down.

"Great, let's go then," said Sistema, smiling. The thought of finding Iora raised his spirits. He was now ready, waiting for the gnome -who was pointing left... no, right.. and left again...

"Whichwaydoyouwannago?" she finally asked, also smiling.

((LOOL :icon13: And those who've read DragonLance probably know why this gnome is talking so fast, teehee...))

Edited by Sistema

((LOOL :D And those who've read DragonLance probably know why this gnome is talking so fast, teehee...))

:D

Do _NOT_ ask a gnome for his name :D

Edited by Grum

Great work sistema :) I like it

Just one comment you make several refrences to 'the floor' I believe they are outside and the ground would be a more proper word in my opinion. Floor just seems a little odd and makes me think they are indoors, when I'm pretty sure they are outside. Just a thought, great job though :)

Part 1: Lost Memories.

Iora opened his eyes. Wh-where am I? He was lying on cold stone, staring up. A trickle of water dropped from the ceiling straight onto Iora's face. The water slid down his cheeks, some got into his eyes and blurred his vision. He blinked rapidly, trying to get his vision to clear up, but it hardly did any good. With water in his eyes he tried examining his surroundings. Looking to his left and right he realized that he was in a cave. It was cold. He wanted to rub his arms, but when he tried he couldn't. What?! He felt hard rope between his fingers. What's g-going on? Another drop of water fell to his face. Frustrated, he tried sitting up, but as soon as he lifted he back a sudden rush of pain raced through his body and sent him back to the ground. Ugh! What's h-happened? I was... I-I can't.. remember... How d-did I get here? He forced his brain to think, to try and remember, but the more he tried the more it hurt. He soon gave up. He closed his eyes and let his brain rest. The only thing he heard was the sound of water dripping from the cavern ceiling.

"Stand up, Iora," a commanding voice said from the shadows behind him. Iora's eyes snapped open. His body moved with its own will. There was no sign of the pain he had felt earlier when he tried standing up. A tall figure appeared in front of Iora. The man's features were hidden under his hood. The dark robes he wore made it impossible to tell whether he was walking or floating in thin air. Iora tried to take a step back, but his body refused. The man was getting closer, slowly revealing his body out from the shadows. Iora saw that the man was holding a staff, a magical one it seemed, as Iora could feel the magic aura it was emitting. The aura was strong, which proved the power of its bearer. Iora's heart was now pounding. The fact that he couldn't remember where he was or how he had got to this cave filled him with devastating fear.

"I see you have finally awaken, dear Iora." The robed man said. Iora suddenly saw what seemed like glittering eyes under the man's hood.

"Who are you and how do you know my name?" he asked. He felt his arms getting numb, his head was getting dizzy.

"I know many things about you, my dear Iora. But it seems you do not remember me at all. You do not remember many things I believe? Tell me Iora, if I had not mentioned your name, would you have remembered it?"

"I-How..." he was speechless, his thoughts were empty. His vision was blurring. But the old man's voice came clearer than before.

"You will soon remember, the emptiness in your mind will soon wear off, you have my word. Now you must rest. Release your barriers and allow me to penetrate into your mind. Do not even think of interfering, I am well capable of infiltrating with force. Relax and try not to resist."

The last thing Iora saw was the tip of the man's staff glow bright, revealing his face. Iora tried to gasp but no sound came. He felt his body fall to the ground... he could no longer see, nor feel. But the sound of water dripping continued. The man's words echoed in his head. "You will soon remember...you have my word..."

((How was it?))