Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

New Item

Hello, I was thinking recently about training magic, and I found very fast that it is quite expensive and time consuming. I was thinking of some replacement for the Sr's, but read in some other posts that some ideas will make the potion'ers go broke, and I really don't want that. So I have found an idea, somewhat spawned from the red toadstools recently integrated into the game. Not many suggestions get implemented into the game, but I hope this one people will like, and will have a chance at getting looked at by Teh God and Goddess.

Mana Dust

Restores 10 mana points

Items required for manufacturing:

1 Ash/es, Potion of mana ,2 Blue star flowers, 1 Blue quartz,

Items required in inventory: Mortar and Pestle

Knowledge needed: Mana Dust

Required Nexuses: Vegetal: 3

Recommended Skills: Potion: 25

Experience Given: Potion exp: 50

Food Subtracted: 8

Stackable: Yes

Base Price: None

Weight: 3 EMU

I was thinking that it would have to have some downside, so that it would be used for magic training and not for pking and such.

Downside: :devlish:

10% Chance to decrease you coordination by 10 (temp), yet still giving you the 10 mana points. :)

All of the details and such could be altered accordingly.

To the Wizards of these Eternal lands, I wish you the best of casting! costumed-smiley-045.gif

Atlas

Edit: Added some details

Edited by -Atlas-

it'd be too powerful and those ing are very easy to get

10% chance isnt much i think. say 40%? maybe with decreases Phys. that way most people wont want to use it while training

Edited by cho-yun

ing are easy to get so they are easy to make

rumors of players not using Coord while fighting. some are phy hybird or something.

Then increase the chance of either the Coord or Phys removal, up to 25% or something. For only 10 mana points, I think the ingredients are fair enough.

I don't understand what this will be useful for.. lol.. Not used for Magic Training, cos you can make mana pots whilst doing that, not much use for Potion training, unless you want to power level to like 60s lol...

I don't understand what this will be useful for.. lol.. Not used for Magic Training, cos you can make mana pots whilst doing that, not much use for Potion training, unless you want to power level to like 60s lol...

it seems you haven't done a lot of pure magic training... up until you are able to use mana drain, the best spell for good exp/ings/least mana is life drain, which requires 20 mana to cast, now imagine training a skill where you have to cast once per SR cooldown... and imagine the cost of training it if you buy SRs!!

I think this is an ok idea, just a shame if it gets implemented it wasn't before I had to go through the hardship before mding

No your right, I am not a pr0 mage, but I have done some magic training in my day. You have a really good magic lvl compared to your a/d. Its the people like you who work hard for the magic levels, and I admire that, but it should be easier (I think). Maybe others disagree with me, but I am ok with that.

Seveneyes, maybe you can teach me the way of the wizard?

Atlas

In my eyes magic is one of the easiest skills to train lool... And try using a COM... +150mana.. lol >.<

In my eyes magic is one of the easiest skills to train lool... And try using a COM... +150mana.. lol >.<

The matter of the fact is a COM only gives you the space to have more mana, it doesn't give you the mana!!

You seem to be completely missing the point...

There is no way to regenerate mana faster than SR cooldown (count extra mana pots out as they are expensive), with out the mana drain spell!

This means you are restricted to training magic based on the SR cooldown, which is v slow considering 1 spell per SR...

If you take any other skill you can train it much faster (fps cooldown less and give you more points back (50>20), even summoning has a conjurer cape AND summoning areas to halve mana usage, twice!!

I understand that making something faster than this to restore mana can seriously upset pk.

So how about instead making an area that maybe halves mana cost for spells, or halves SR cooldowns...

Any of these things will make training magic properly (not fighting and letting restorations train you magic level slowly) less of a hell to do!!

plus we have all these magic schools waiting to help magic more.

Edited by Rockfall

Rockfall got my point, we need something that restores mana without any/not as much cooldown. Maybe a cloak that sets your a/d to 0 but lets you have no cooldown on sr's.

Up to lvl 35 where magic training doesn't take sr's if you use magic potions, it takes a very long time to get magic lvls.

Edit, Spelling a Details.

Edited by -Atlas-

I get your point, but there are ways to get around it... COM adds 150 mana, FR cape gives +3mana p/min... And then use mana potions... Take ings for say 200-400 and you casn last for ages doing magic, its not too hard is it?

Even with a fully charged CoM, an FR cape, and a faster than normal regeneration room for a total effect of 5 mana restored per minute you will still run out of mana in short order when trying to actively level your magic between levels 27 (Life Drain) and 35.

The experience needed to go from level 27 to 35 is 331,009 more than double the total experience the player has gained in magic already (142,243 for level 27). Even with the magic god experience bonus, this translates to roughly 2,200 life drain casts. And yes, Life Drain is currently the most feasible means of attaining these levels.

Each cast costs 20 mana, each SR restores 20 mana. However the cooldown on an SR is about 23 seconds. Let's assume each cast of Life Drain takes approximately 6 seconds (that's exceptionally slow in most cases).

So, let's take an average player with 80 EP add a CoM (+150 EP) and we have 230 EP assuming the CoM is fully charged. Now, the player is casting at roughly 4 times the speed of mana recovery via SRs. So, three out of the four the casts are depleting his/her actual mana pool. Thus, the 230 EP of our player will be fully depleted in, well let's see:

1. Life Drain & Drink SR - 230 EP (0 seconds)
  2. Life Drain - 210 EP (6 seconds)
  3. Life Drain - 190 EP (12 seconds)
  4. Life Drain - 170 EP (18 seconds)
  5. Life Drain & Drink SR - 170 EP (24 seconds)
  6. Life Drain - 150 EP (30 Seconds)
  7. Life Drain - 130 EP (36 seconds)
  8. Life Drain - 110 EP (42 seconds)
  9. Life Drain & Drink SR - 110 EP (48 seconds)
  10. Life Drain - 90 EP (54 seconds)
  11. Life Drain - 75 EP (1 minute, +5 EP for cape and room)
  12. Life Drain - 55 EP (66 seconds)
  13. Life Drain & Drink SR - 55 EP (72 seconds)
  14. Life Drain - 35 EP (78 seconds)
  15. Life Drain - 15 EP (84 seconds)

Oh, look the FR cape and fast regeneration room had zero effect on the time to deplete the crown. I don't know about you, but less than 90 seconds doesn't strike me as ages.

After the CoM has been drained, you are at the mercy of the SR cooldown. And every 4 minutes you get a free cast. This is still extremely slow.

Edit (and fixed typo above):

So, now with your 15 casts out of the way you're looking at only needing another 2185 casts. With SR cooldown that's only 50,255 seconds left. That's 837.58 minutes, or 13.96 hours of straight casting LD, drinking an SR, and waiting for cooldown. Sure the cape and room may cut a little of that time off, but it's not going to be much in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by jamincollins

I think it is realy easy to level magic just by training! I never leveled magic active.

I think it is realy easy to level magic just by training! I never leveled magic active.

you may not realise this, but there are people out there who prefer magic to fighting, or don't wanna die from training all the time....

I agree with what bt said anyway (though he made it look nicer than it actually is

Related but not the same, I was thinking have a harvestable give you mana without cooldown, something like eat a blueberry and gain a few mana points (1 to 5). This would give a free way to actively gain more mana for folks trying to train magic, but not be significant enough to noticeably effect combat.

Note that to me, and to most folks, the issue with training magic is NOT the level of Mana you have but the time it takes to regenerate it. I don't think you should be able to gain several levels in an hour, but it shouldn't take a week to gain a level.

EDIT: Response to post below,

SRs are one of the few items in game that can sell for a small profit even to NPCs (in fact, some potioners sell for less than the NPC buys to get rid of excess stock) and most folks I know of avoid training Magic with SRs because of the extra cost to train. Add that to a lower gain of mana per EMU of this, it shouldn't have a major impact on SR sales.

Edited by Darc0

Something like that would probably have an a/effect on the potioneers though, we need something that would still support them, because they wouldn't sell as many Sr's.

Edited by -Atlas-

Something like that would probably have an a/effect on the potioneers though, we need something that would still support them, because they wouldn't sell as many Sr's.

incorrect, fighters use SRs extensively, for training/pking... That is where all the SR sales go.

Magic trainers only need SRs till level 35, there is a lot needed, but nothing compared to the total use of fighters.

The only problem with something similar to what Dac0 said with something small that can be eaten to replenish mana but with no cooldown. This would have an effect on pk in a bad way I would feel, unless they were made to weigh 2-5 EMU each and/or made so it has a 2-5 second cooldown during combat (similar how to magic works in combat!) This would make it worse than SRs during pk, but a good thing to use at storage to quickly restore mana to get back on the field!! :P

The only problem with something similar to what Dac0 said with something small that can be eaten to replenish mana but with no cooldown. This would have an effect on pk in a bad way I would feel, unless they were made to weigh 2-5 EMU each and/or made so it has a 2-5 second cooldown during combat (similar how to magic works in combat!) This would make it worse than SRs during pk, but a good thing to use at storage to quickly restore mana to get back on the field!! :hug:

Thats what I had in mind, something with a EMU to Mana ratio of 1:1 (if it heals 1 mana, it weighs 1 EMU, if it heals 5 mana it weighs 5 EMU). Even without cooldown, its still not practical for training/PK, but great for a quick regaining of mana for at storage or near the harvestable (I suggested Blueberries before because I associate blue with mana and blueberries are edible, but it could be anything else too).