Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alia

Making books

This is a very nice idea IMO :bow_arrow:

And this could fit with the background jobs that trollson introduced some times ago...

Just a suggestion though, players should be able to make books (by using the same thing as the reading process) but this should be new books, not the already existing ones because they are already too much in game.

But I don't have yet any good idea about what kind of book and what will be the benefit... but thinking about it :D

If this is to provide information to the players, rather than knowledges to characters, then the books & notes system described in the topic "Interacting with the Map" (see link in footer) would be relevant.

If it is a means to create copies of books from character's knowledge, then as Schmurk mentions it would be a candidate for reusing the "research" mechanism to implement long-term "background tasks". Costs, materials, and character requirements to create a book are a later design issue.

This has interesting possibilities: Consider some knowledge which is only available once (from a quest or other source?); the character who learns this knowledge would have to decide what is more profitable -- having the monopoly or creating books.

Edited by trollson

The idea of making books is not new, and I was thinking about it quite a lot.

The problem with it is that books are a big money drain from the game, so if people can make their own books, and books for others, then there would be more money left in the game, which is not good.

I think people shouldn't be able to make books if items. It would be too easy then.

For example I think about this kind of books:

Writing book is similar to reading them, so if you want to write book with N pages it will take N / rationality minutes.

You can make book of any skill. If your skill level is L then it will have 500*L pages (for example).

When character read this book if his skill level < L, then it increases by one (so reading your own book is useless :D

I think that making books is a good idea.

But as entropy said the problem is that it would put more money ingame.

Mayb instead of getting rare book drops, you would get certain book verses and such, and if you get them all then you can connect them to create the book, or with a certain book verse, if you already have the knowledge, you can write the rest of it costing you some materials and time, but you also have a 50% chance of screwing up the writing and loosing it all. (critical fail)

Book creating isn't very nice, for the reason Entropy has explained.

One way of implementing half of this idea would be to buy a book and then be able to learn more efficient from a player thus maybe reading 100-1000 pages in an instant by somehow learning from the other player that has allready read the book. (it could maybe also be a solution to pay a NPC for some oral lecture that is faster than reading and thus making a jump of 100-1000 pages (a one time only per book maybe?) )

What the player that is suppose to learn should do to learn this from another player is open for ideas I guess, but the question is also if it's worth it. We can after all do pretty much everything we want while waiting for a book, and there are those fast reading areas so I don't see enough reason for this to ever become for real =/.

Edited by Beaverhunter