Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
korrode

Gauntlets

Hello EL developers,

I know Gauntlets were suggested a while ago ( http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15187 ), but i still think they would be a good idea. Heres why:

Gauntlet:

A single right hand glove, can be used with a shield. A weapon that only does low damage, but has high defensive capability.

(Unlike Leather Gloves, Gauntlets have to be a single glove, for the right hand, so you CAN have it and a shield equipped at the same time. If a shield cant be equipped with it they would be useless and no one would use them, because shield+sword would be a better choice for every situation)

But, of course, we dont want the Gauntlets to have too higher defensive capabilty, we wouldn't want a weapon providing better defense that a shield of equivilent value. As such, in my suggested attributes below, the Ti Gauntlet only provides as much defense bonus as a wooden shield.

Weapons like this would be good for people who cant afford a Ti Serp/Eagle Wing that want to evade and get past PK'ers, not actually fight them, and for a/d trainers with low might.

My attribute suggestions (and explanation for attribute):

Iron Gauntlet:

(a basic looking iron glove, quite heavy; 12 emu perhaps)

4-6 damage (heavy glove, more damage)

+2 defense (glove can be used to block incoming attacks as well)

-1 accuracy (heavy glove reduces your speed)

-2 crit hit (heavy glove reduces your speed)

+2 crit damage (heavy glove, more damage)

8 iron bars, 4 steel bars, 10 FE

______

Steel Gauntlet:

(a more menacing looking glove, spiked knuckles, quite heavy; 12 emu perhaps)

6-9 damage (heavy spiked glove, more damage)

+3 defense (glove can be used to block incoming attacks as well)

-2 crit hit (heavy glove reduces your speed)

+2 crit damage (heavy spiked glove, more damage)

14 steel bars, 5 iron bars, 10 FE

______

Titanium Gauntlet

(a more menacing looking glove, spiked knuckles, quite light; 5 emu perhaps)

9-12 damage (lightweight spiked glove, more damage)

+1 accuracy (lightweight spiked glove, no speed penalty and wider than your bare fist)

+4 defense (glove can be used to block incoming attacks as well, and lightweight=speed)

+2 crit damage (lightweight spiked glove, more damage)

11 Ti bars, 6 steel bars, 10 FE, 1 Serpent Stone

______

And perhaps some uber Gauntlet that needs a hydro bar and EFE to make, that has like +7 or +8 to def... for the ultimate defensive setup.

Also, because the Ti Long is a drop, i'd make the Ti Gauntlet a drop as well.

In an attempt to get people liking this idea, heres some shots of cool looking Gauntlets :P

gauntlet-2.jpggauntlet-1.jpggauntlet-3.jpg

gauntlet-6.jpggauntlet-4.jpggauntlet-5.jpg

Edited by Korrode

I see you did search first, but this has been suggested a lot of times: here and here and here, so if the developers liked the idea it would be in game :P Personally I don't really like the idea, in RL gauntlets are armor, not weapons, they are only weapons in those martial arts MMORPGs, I prefer to leave them out of EL.

Edited by Duck2

We used to have gauntlets. So perhaps they were taken out for a reason? Of course they didn't have there own texture either :P

Edited by sparhawk

This idea I think is great but a little misleaded. I don't quite understand why they have a def. bonus. I mean if you think about it, wouldn't it be kinda hard to block a sword with your hand??? Maybe it could be a 2 handed weapon that people would use for pvp and such and would get more exp out of it cause your basically fist fighting.

This idea did spark something tho, I'm thinking maybe magical gloves that magic users could use or something, mayb magic gloves that have a certain charge and can automatically cast a certain spell a number of times before it wears out and breaks.

This idea I think is great but a little misleaded. I don't quite understand why they have a def. bonus. I mean if you think about it, wouldn't it be kinda hard to block a sword with your hand???

As Duck2 said "in RL gauntlets are armor". The idea of Gauntlets is that a blade can hit your hand and it will do no damage. If a sword was swung into your right side, you wouldn't be able to move your shield over their, but u still could deflect the hit with your hand, if that hand happened to be covered in metal. I'm not saying its a very effective way to block a hit, a shield would be much better, but thats why the Ti gauntlet would only offer +4 to def.

Maybe it could be a 2 handed weapon that people would use for pvp and such and would get more exp out of it cause your basically fist fighting.

You would only get more exp if the gaunlets only added a defense bonus, and did no damage at all.

Personally I don't really like the idea, in RL gauntlets are armor, not weapons

Perhaps, but getting hit with a fist in a metal glove would still hurt alot more than getting hit with a barefist, anyone would have to agree.

The idea of the Gauntlets is to make it so you can get the defensive bonus of a Ti Long/Serp without doing all the damage. I personally think its a hole in the weapons structure of this game that needs to be filled.

Edited by Korrode

Alright, Personally I think its uterally rediculous, I mean a little thin hunk of metal on your hand isnt gona stop it from being crushed by a blade or something. Mayb it could deflect magic.

If anything it should do more att damage, I mean, getting punched in the face by a heavey spiked piece of metal would definatly hurt.

EDIT: not to self 'learn to read before posting'

Edited by Rockfall

I think its very good idea but i would do small modification: no dmg but more armor/defence

Otherwise they will be same like swords.

eMPi

Edited by masterpiter

I think its very good idea but i would do small modification: no dmg but more armor/defence

Otherwise they will be same like swords.

eMPi

I agree. and since gauntlets were never intended to act like a shield or blocking device then makes sence. Low armour bonus and thats it, They were only ever intended to offer protection for the hands in close combat: ie: from a stray sword strike

Well EL is not a very realistic combat simulator :D so we should probably avoid in depth discussions of what gauntlets do in RL, since an accurate portrament of them in game would make them ~2kgc for iron gauntlets with armor rating of 1! Gauntlets cannot be used to block a sword, attempting to do so is not advised :D. Gauntlets should be considered in how they effect the game, I do not see them as useful, there is not enough equipment slots for them +sword +shield at the moment (though it might be a good idea to raise that limit sometime), and they wouldn't look that spectacular ingame, due to there small size. So introducing them means: 1. Extra cade work for entropy 2. extra art work for roja 3. 3-4 forum topic griping how they unbalance the game, help RL rich people, make fighters richer etc... 4. EL is not much improved by all this, we have enough fancy armor.

BTW, only a few of those pictures are real gauntlets, the rest are Fanatsy stuff, and the real ones are for Full-Plate jousting, not sword-fighting on foot, most foot swordsmen didn't use metal gauntlets.

The Duck II

Alright, Personally I think its uterally rediculous, I mean a little thin hunk of metal on your hand isnt gona stop it from being crushed by a blade or something. Mayb it could deflect magic.

If anything it should do more att damage, I mean, getting punched in the face by a heavey spiked piece of metal would definatly hurt.

lol redsoxlovr10,

sorry but first you call my idea "misleaded" then you call it "uterally rediculous".

I love how when it suits your argument the gauntlet is a "little thin hunk of metal", but in the very next sentence when your arguing something different its a "heavey spiked piece of metal".

Also, "Mayb it could deflect magic.", your suggesting that its more realistic that a solid metal glove could deflect magic, than deflect a sword blow?

Interesting also is how one minute it's "This idea I think is great but..." and the next post it's "Personally I think its uterally rediculous". Make up your mind.

Sorry to you and everyone if i seemed a bit insulting in this post, but i dont enjoy someone who doesnt have enough understanding of the EL fighting system making pointless and contradictory posts on my thread.

Everyone elses posts were constructive and i thank you all for the input.

- Korrode

Lol yeah I tend to do that alot, at first it seemed good but then I started to think, and think and i thunk a little more and realized that if somebody were to take lets say an axe and I had some metal over my hand and I tried to block it... Don't you think maybe you wouldnt get cut, but you would crush and break ur hand at the least.

BTW, only a few of those pictures are real gauntlets, the rest are Fanatsy stuff, and the real ones are for Full-Plate jousting, not sword-fighting on foot, most foot swordsmen didn't use metal gauntlets.

The Duck II

I realise that Duck2, just thought they looked good and might get more people interested.

"Well EL is not a very realistic combat simulator :D so we should probably avoid in depth discussions of what gauntlets do in RL"

I agree, i realise what i've suggested the gauntlets do is not the actual benifits gauntlets provide in RL combat.

But EL doesn't have to match RL, so this is what i'm suggesting gauntlets do in EL.

Also, i'm not suggesting you should be able to use a sword and gauntlet at the same time, it would be one or the other.

And the reason for that could be that these gauntlets are much thicker and dont allow as much finger movement as RL gauntlets, and that can also be the reason why you can block sword blows with them.