Eternal Lands Official Forums
ttlanhil

New Weather

As far as the fade-in... The same would apply on changing map, and I believe it's present in the old weather as well (just less noticeable).

The good news is that the new weather protocol allows the server to say how long the run in/out will be (which would be very low for map-change or login to where it's already raining), so fixing this means just waiting for if the server support ever comes.

ed: Hmm, or was that how long until it does the fade-in which is always the same length? Can't remember. If so, then that should be adjusted.

As for lines, well, one option that wouldn't be too much work is to make it only update every second rain (and only when it's 100% rain) drop as it iterates in the movement function, and do the same as the old weather with the extra values, doing a start and end point of the line, then use GL_LINES in the draw function (again, only for 100% rain). This won't allow smooth transitions from 100% rain to 90/10 rain/snow, which the current system does, and it'll still be using lines to create an illusion of moving points (which RL raindrops are), but if that's what it takes to get it in until the particle version works...

Maybe an hour or two to code, I imagine.

One gotcha to watch for is the float not always being exactly 1.0f

And no, I don't have plans to do any more work on EL.

Edited by ttlanhil

Ok, I've made a minor adjustment to this code. The raindrops (and therefore other precipitation) scale up slightly when zooming in. This makes the points easier to see and I think gives the desired effect.

I do *think* i see them as being bigger when zooming in, but still you can barely even tell that it's raining at all. The rain drops are soooo faint looking you really have to LOOK to see them.

I do *think* i see them as being bigger when zooming in, but still you can barely even tell that it's raining at all. The rain drops are soooo faint looking you really have to LOOK to see them.

Hmmm, that's odd. They were quite obvious when I was testing it. I'll go back and have another look.

Ok now I do think I see it correctly!

I definetly notice the size increase-mainly because it's not smooth when it changes :P

I still think it all can use more work until it's ready though...I honestly still prefer the old rain. Maybe it's just me? :hug:

When tuning values for the stuff I worked on, the rain was clearly visible, or else I wouldn't have left it that way... So I'm going to point the finger at OpenGL differences between systems... Which is a problem, if different computers will display the GL_POINTS with different sizes/alpha.

I did experiment with using larger points, but they came out rectangular as well as being uniform in size (not taking into account distance from camera). That could just be something OpenGL related I don't know about, of course.

This all leads me to think that we may not get NEW_WEATHER until it's done with particles (which should solve the above problems).

I've rewritten the whole NEW_WEATHER code to make it compatible with the sky and to add some nice features.

The new features are the following:

- changed the rain in order it's displayed with lines like the old one but with a better render

- added sprites support (for snow and such things)

- handling weather areas: you can define different weather areas on a same map. For the moment, this can be tested by compiling the client in debug mode and pressing ctrl+shift+home to set a rain area above your position and ctrl+shift+end to set a snow area.

- added 2 options in the sky&cam tab: one is to force the sky to update every frame and the other is to show distant weather areas on the sky

- added thunder display support (in debug mode: press ctrl+shift+t to add a random lightning)

- added a weather.xml file to configure the whole thing

The new weather requires some new data that I've put here for the moment: http://schmurk.110mb.com/el/files/new_weather_data.zip

So if anybody wants to test it and report me bugs, I'll be glad to hear about them. :)

Would it be possible to add heat waves and foggy breath? As like hot weather/cold weather?

I compiled with new_weather, but without the debug. It compiled cleanly and will await some weather. :)

Anything we should be looking for in particular?

S.

I compiled with new_weather, but without the debug. It compiled cleanly and will await some weather. :D

Anything we should be looking for in particular?

S.

Nothing in particular but I would be interested to know the results in performance loss when playing with all the options. The number of drops can be reduced by reducing the percentage of particles btw.

However, all the local weather stuff is not sent by the server yet so you'll not be able to see it unless you compile with the debug feature and set areas by hand.

Ah ok thanks, I will recompile with the debug stuff :D

S.

Edit: just a thought. Given that the server isnt sending the new weather info yet, couldn't the NEW_WEATHER compile option just include those debug options for local weather generation, rather than turning the entire debug thing on?

Edited by Spleenfeeder

Great job Schmurk!! The snow looks beautiful! :)

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...=si&img=605

One thing I noticed: if you tilt the camera all the way down you can see that the snow stops before hitting the ground plane.

Oh and another thing, I was pressing ctrl+t for the lightning, and when it would light the sky up that lighted part would stick in the sky and wouldn't go away until I press ctrl+t again.--I noticed it's also doing this when the thunder comes on by itself.

Oh and another thing, I was pressing ctrl+t for the lightning, and when it would light the sky up that lighted part would stick in the sky and wouldn't go away until I press ctrl+t again.--I noticed it's also doing this when the thunder comes on by itself.

Yes, I'll try to fix that. For nor, a way to fix it is to use the new option I've put in the sky tab to update the sky every frames. :)

I tried it (without DEBUG) and what I saw looked great so far.

Just two tweaks:

* could the rain be heavier (more drops) and faster (could only find something to make it faster in the weather.xml)

* is it possible to add a random delay to the thunder after you see the lightning?

More drops will also slow down the display.

For the lightning, there's actually a delay that depends on the distance between your char and the lightning. I'm already using a speed that is way under the real sound speed but I can reduce it again a bit.

This is a sound bug, but I figured I'd post it here since it seems related with new_weather..it didn't happen before:

If you turn the sound off, then turn it back on again, the rain sound does not come back on.

Sorry, haven't done the documentation yet. ;)

You can use the weather_get_density() function, it'll give you a value between 0.0 and 1.0 corresponding the density of the weather at the current position of the camera.

But the weather is now a bit more complex than before so what do you need exactly?

But the weather is now a bit more complex than before so what do you need exactly?

I want to disable the fireflies around the lamps when it's raining ;)