Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
benny_ufc

Put on your THINKING CAP

My dad tells me to put on my Thinking Cap, almost 3 days of the week.... my dad just told me it right before he went to bed, cause I was writing some of my book.

POOOOOF!!! I thought of it... What If!! We had a "Thinking Cap" on Eternal-Lands?

Thinking Cap - Boost Reading Speed for studying books, takes more food intake, instead of minusing 1, it would minus 3, and if you had power hunger, instead of minusing 3, it would minus 5....

It would be cool having that in the game.

There are already fast reading areas, do we need new feature for faster reading?

Edit: How would this work if you try boost your reading speed at fast reading area?

Edited by ville-v

lol. Well, "Thinking Cap" certainly has the narrative imperative :P

Two ways this could be implemented:

1. As a reading speed bonus, as suggested. Limited use, so you'd find one item being passed around within a guild, with a low risk of being lost.
  2. As a rationality bonus, which would increase not only reading but just about all experience. Far more potent, even for a small bonus (5-10) (1), the cumulative increase in experience over time is large, placing it on par with the Crowns. Increase the chance of losing the item due to constant use, and less likely to be passed around. Possibly easier to implement?

Either item could require a high nexus (magic rather than human, since it reflects on wisdom and knowledge), which would limit those who could use them.

As another form of head gear, you'd have to choose between helmet, crown, or Thinking Cap: Protection, extra mana or hitpoints, or reading/experience bonus?

Appear as either a mortarboard (or medieval precursor) or a classical wizards pointed cap?

Combining with a power-hungry trait is interesting counterpoint to the potential bonus offered. Its good to see a suggestion with a balance.

Footnotes:

(1) Remember that each +1 to Rationality would have cost your character 2 pick points to achieve normally; by the same reconing the crowns are worth 10-15 pick points.

(2) Ironically, as a rationality bonus, harvesters and miners would be the ones to benefit the most. Though at, say +12 Rationality, the bonus is comparable to a religious bonus at moderate levels.

Edited by trollson

It would be cool having that in the game.

omfg ye it's almost as cool as new weapons and armours new monsters and other st00f [/scarrcasm];p

Bad idea, why not putting times of reading a book on 1 minute :icon13:

I've read all books ingame, they aren't very hard to read and best of all is that you can do different things while reading, so we don't have a need of reading even faster ...

Well..... What if the Thinking Cap breaks? I mean shields break.... What if the cap uses all of it's magic and POOF it's gone? And if you took it in a fast reading spot, it would make reading even faster, but the cap would POOF anytime less than 12 minutes.... Waste of money. I don't know, i'm tryin to think about it lol

Edited by ufc_benny