Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
benny_ufc

Fast Boots!

Rapi-boots: Easier to escape a heavy battle, even when you're fighting more than 1 person.

I think this would be cool because, some people like negative perks "I can't dance" to boost their p/c... I only do it so I can get more of amount of EMU space, so I can carry lots more stuff. Then I reset.

I Think it would be an excellent special item, where you can only make them with harvestable Elephant plant leaves and needle and string.

I don't know.... please give more thought onto this. :(

Of course faster movement is not possible; though to be fair ufc_benny doesn't say that is how the boots would work (I guess that is what he was thinking of though) :(

There are other ways to get the desired effect, such as boots which give a bonus to disengagement, or even a mini-teleport effect, or such.

Of course faster movement is not possible; though to be fair ufc_benny doesn't say that is how the boots would work (I guess that is what he was thinking of though) :(

He does in the topic title.

And btw, such a suggestions have been made like 20 times before.

Suggestions for boots which increase movement rate have indeed been made numerous times, and are not techically possible.

However, to give ufc_benny the benefit of the doubt, his description does not mention increasing movement rates, he only talks about disengaging from combat.

The title might be "Fast Boots" or "Rapid Boot", but thats only a name, while representative of the nature of the boots suggested, it need not be a declaration of their implementation. "Fast" because they help you disengage.

So, lets try to rephrase and reconsider this suggestion without the unnecessary assumption of movement speed:

Boots which increase you chance to disengage from combat.

Possibly implemented as a bonus to disengagement when you are pressing the "Home" key? Offset this advantage against not wearing more protective armour on your feet.

I don't recall this being suggested before, though I haven't searched explicitly.

Possibly implemented as a bonus to disengagement when you are pressing the "Home" key? Offset this advantage against not wearing more protective armour on your feet.

So basically a disengagement ring plus tp away ability?

Or a dis ring with an x second timer on against all people/creatures, thereby giving you the chance to use a tp ring.

All of which have been discussed before I think.

So basically a disengagement ring plus tp away ability?

Or a dis ring with an x second timer on against all people/creatures, thereby giving you the chance to use a tp ring.

All of which have been discussed before I think.

No, just a bonus to the disenagement chance from using "Home", as stated.

Rapi-boots: Easier to escape a heavy battle, even when you're fighting more than 1 person.

I think this would be cool because, some people like negative perks "I can't dance" to boost their p/c... :evilgrin:

This is their problem they took it :]

I think this would be cool because, some people like negative perks "I can't dance" to boost their p/c... I only do it so I can get more of amount of EMU space, so I can carry lots more stuff. Then I reset.

'I cant dance' is called a neg perk for obvious reasons. Nothing whould be added to weaken the effect of a negative perk.

wowzers.... I didn't know this many posts would come on the topic...... I was just fast thinkin......

'I cant dance' is called a neg perk for obvious reasons. Nothing whould be added to weaken the effect of a negative perk.
like a PS cape overriding power hungry, you mean? no, that won't happen...

besides, ICD is about disadvantage to multi, these boots are for increased flee rates. it might be a little more important to be able to flee when ganged up upon in a multi map, but the two aren't otherwise linked

this is more that [home] is 25% (for example) more likely to work. doesn't have to work any faster (still at end of a round), just more likely that you manage to escape.

note that you could also have a mini-diss effect in this as well, get an extra second or two before the enemy can attack you again (chance to run(err, walk) away)

these boots could also give a bonus to defence at the cost of armour (even a negative armour effect if needed)... as in you're more likely to dodge, but if you are hit it hurts more (a little like like taking gelly bones and getting coord) if properly balanced, this could be an interesting strategic option... not just boot1 > boot 2, but boot1 has both ups and downs, so cost isn't the only issue

ufc_benny talked to me about this ingame before posting it, suggested a couple of problems, and said to post here.

main problem being that people will see something about fast boots and think that it means running. well, I thought it'd only be newbs, but it seems the forumers thought a newb was saying it as well :)

These boots were made for walking...

And that's just what they'll do.

One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you...

Since "Fast Boots" or "Rapido Boots" (etc) implies the wrong thing (ie, increased movement), call them "Boots of Dancing" say, ...then make them pink with bows... :P

The title did give people the "oh no not another searchless wonder" response, and the bit about circumventing a negative perk was another distraction; but its important not to be too trigger happy with newbie posts, which may not be expressed very well, but may contain something interesting at their core.

Edited by trollson

I Think it would be an excellent special item, where you can only make them with harvestable Elephant plant leaves and needle and string.

I don't know.... please give more thought onto this. :P

Not that my opinion particularly matters, but I think this is a decent idea for developer consideration. It meets my main criteria:

It doesn't exists in some other form (Dis ring is automatic, these are not)

It's relatively simple to implement (It should only touch a few places in the code base)

It's not uberpowerful (It only attempts to do one thing, and only at a percentage increase)

It's relatively balanceable (A dis chance increase at the cost of some armor value and the formula to make it)

Good Job, ufc_benny