Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kalach

Cost/Benefit of fighting?

I'm still trying to get my mind wrapped around the workings of the EL economy. Up until now, I've been thinking about costs and how the supplier affects the economy. Now, I'm trying looking at things from the opposite direction: consumption. The ultimate consumers are the fighter-types. PK'ers, Summoners, and people who want to spend most of their time whacking critters. I don't want to make this a questionaire, but here are some idea generators:

What items do you regularly have to buy to keep your fighting habit going?

Do you find that you spend a lot of time performing activities other than fighting in order to buy supplies?

Do you have regular suppliers you can go to?

Do you make what you need yourself?

Do you buy from NPC's more than from players?

Are you able to sell or utilize the booty from your kills?

I'm hoping from responses from people of all skill levels in all places in the game.

Some idiot (me) posted this in the wrong forum, not paying attention to where he was it. I would be grateful if a passing mod could move this to general chat.

Edited by Kalach

HEs, SRs

Do you find that you spend a lot of time performing activities other than fighting in order to buy supplies?

No, I don't have the nexus to do a lot. If what i'm fighting doesn't pay for it's own supplies i tend to fight the thing below it.

Yes.

No. I used to but then i reset because I had so many nexus, now I buy all of my supplies or give the ingredients to a friend who makes them for me.

Don't remember buying anything other than FPs and spirit ess from an NPC in quite a while.

Any armour they drop i use myself, most weapons either go to Trik or get saved for the new summons. Books, cloaks sell fairly well on the market.

I only Buy He's sometimes. I make my own weapons, Armor or trade them. I dont get much booty from kills beside exp. So I cant sell that :P Yeah.. I don't make much money from fighting. but it Can be fun. i am a potionist etc. So I sell weapons, Armor, potions& some Ess. And also somtimes ore etc. to buy hes and Fire ess and iron ore :)

Edited by Sweettea

I make my health essences and armor (just the leather shields and helms, chains are drops), give ingreds to srs to people to make them, and buy crafting products

edit: also, fighting is generally unprofitable nowadays. For every 4 restores you need 16 health essences (112 gc) and 5 SRs (about 60gc) total = 172 gc / 4 = ~42 gc per restore

The drops from monsters aren't really sufficent to compensate for that, it pretty much balances at the most.

Edited by Atlantis

I make my health essences and armor (just the leather shields and helms, chains are drops), give ingreds to srs to people to make them, and buy crafting products

YOU make your he ? rofl cant resist

edit: also, fighting is generally unprofitable nowadays. For every 4 restores you need 16 health essences (112 gc) and 5 SRs (about 60gc) total = 172 gc / 4 = ~42 gc per restore

The drops from monsters aren't really sufficent to compensate for that, it pretty much balances at the most.

well, you can plan to fight for xp (and accept that you may not get as much money) or fight for the cash (and accept that the xp may be lower)

find the right compromise and it'll work out right

Really briefly, because I don't want to go down a single tangent, does the Magic Shop buy HE's for 7 GC? (I don't know when I'll next be able to get online. )

Edited by Kalach

I buy/make he, Srs - 4 vegetal :P

Rest st0f i usualy get for free from my friends(guild stor) or from pk :)

From NPCs i usually buy air ess/death ess/tele ess ..

Edited by NitageR

Really briefly, because I don't want to go down a single tangent, does the Magic Shop buy HE's for 7 GC? (I don't know when I'll next be able to get online. )

buys for 3gc, sells for 9gc

YOU make your he ? rofl cant resist

usually ;p

Usually make Hes myself or i buy them.

SR: make them myself.

Armour: guild supplier. I trade armour for things i harv.

Buying from NPC: Feasting pots, Wine + Spirit ess.

Drops: i sell them if i dont need them myself.

Edit: forgot wine

Edited by Ambrosius

I make everything exept chains, iron helm, weapons which i get from friends/market/pk and feast pots, gem sanders, wine and spirit essences which i buy from npc

He's / Sr's / Spirit ess / energy ess / magic ess / matter ess / air ess / death ess / tele rings / dis rings

nope

ya

nope

most fighters got antisocial ;p

kinda

Edited by Hardcore

I buy everything i need from Hes to plate sets, its really a waste of time to make the stuff since the market is so cheap atm. Blue Lupines is teh pr0!!

steel chains, leather pants and boots, iron helms and medallions, SRs.

Only occasionally harvesting ingredients for HE

Yes

I make my own HE and minor mana pots.

I only buy FPs from Nera for making my HE, and wine for my mana pots.

I sell swords to Trik. I haven't experienced much trouble selling capes on the market.

Edited by Alderan

Guest stalag

Harvesting or doing yourself is a waste of precious time if you real want level your char fast.

Harvesting or doing yourself is a waste of precious time if you real want level your char fast.

I take it that you do not do so... Can I assume this to mean that you find that your fighting pays for itself?

I usually get enough GC when training to pay for the wine I'll need for my next training session, and enough to pay for gear when I need to replace it. But since I don't often buy SRs or HE, it's most likely not that way for most other fighters.

[EDIT]

oops, should have added this to my other post, sorry.

Edited by Alderan

I have to buy SRs and misc armor

I do a bit of alchemy

Not for SRs

I make my own HEs

I only buy Feasting potions and spirit ess from NPCs

Depends on what I'm fighting, trolls I can fight, and come out with a profit, but with less exp. Orcs give more exp, but less gc.

((Please note that I normally don't PK or summon, but I do fight))

Edited by Dunian

Guest stalag
I take it that you do not do so... Can I assume this to mean that you find that your fighting pays for itself?

Of course not, every time i fight i lose money per full round. What you can assume is that i use credit card to get in game money ;)

I think you have to make a tradeoff between exp, PPs, and money when you're fighting. You can pick any two that you want, but not all 3. So you have to sacrifice something always:

-sacrifice money: keep your p/c low and train on monsters appropriate for your level, and get hurt a lot.

-sacrifice PPs: waste PPs on "useless" stats like vitality and maybe instinct so you don't get hurt much

-sacrifice exp: slaughter easy monsters, or pump up your p/c so you don't get hurt too much

Between those 3 choices, most fighters sacrifice money because if they want to be strong in PK, they need crazy exp, and a high p/c.

If you don't ever plan to PK though, the "sacrifice PPs" option might be a good idea. If you have some PPs to spare either because you are conserving, or because you have neg perks, then I'd say keep your p/c/w at a moderate level and pump up your toughness w/ vitality. Then you can spend all your time training instead of harvesting flowers like me :)

I'm definitely a "sacrifice money" fighter, so it takes a lot of work to make money for HEs/SRs/armor. Usually I just harvest flowers, coal, or pay real money for gc. I have a couple of friends who give me awesome deals, like armor for ingredients so that saves some gc. The other thing I've started to do is make my own SRs while fighting. I pump out 20 SRs at storage before I go to train, and carry 60 additional ingredients with me. Since I make them while I'm fighting, I don't waste time sitting at storage, and I can stay out longer without restocking. Also, I make them very slowly, like 1 SR per minute or something, so I can use fruit instead of expensive feasting potions.

Edited by roos

This is a great breakdown. Thanks for putting this together.

Edit: Removed wasteful quote of previous post.

Edited by Kalach