Eternal Lands Official Forums
trollson

chat log missing long messages

Messages (PMs) are not recorded in chat log file (~/.elc/chat_log.txt) if they exceed one line long when displayed in the consol.

I was looking back through the chat log for some 'bot inventory records. These PMs just exceed one line when displayed in game (this with font size 1.0, 990x720 window size [windowed on 1024x768]). None of them appear in the chat log -- the PM to the bot is present, as is the first line of the reply (< 1 line long).

When I reduced the chat font size to 0.80, these messages now fit into a single line (which is better for me anyway), *and* they now appear in the chat log file.

Very odd... why should graphical font size have any affect on logging consol messages?

Addition: Also noticed that the text, when displayed over the 3D window, is not monospace; that is, tables sent from bots do not line up. If switch to consol display the text is monospace and such tables line up. This may just be an issue with how spaces are sized in the graphics mode? Again, this is at 80% normal font size, and a small adjustment from normal perspective.

Edited by trollson

Why has no one responded to this problem? I have the same bug...any messages longer than one line do not show up in chat log.

Can someone help please?

Changing the size of the chat font had no effect for me. I'm still not getting any messages longer than one line in my chatlog. Anyone have any ideas???

I never noticed something like this.

I just tested it (a maximum length PM to myself) in all three chat modes, in both game mode and console mode, but nothing went lost.

Client: the Windows Pre-RC, on Win2k.

It looks like Trollson is playing EL on a Linux system; what system are you playing EL on, sufi?

(Info about the Linux distribution might help as well?)

I just tested it (a maximum length PM to myself) in all three chat modes, in both game mode and console mode, but nothing went lost.

It looks like Trollson is playing EL on a Linux system; what system are you playing EL on, sufi?

I was just doing the same test, no problems here either using latest CVS client, on Debian GNU/Linux (etch).

Windows XP. After further testing, changing the font size does allow longer sentences to be logged, but only by a few words. Once they reach about a sentence and a half, they are not logged.

I cant confirm it.

PMmed me with test test test test until the line reaches its max, then PMmed me with load of 'x' until the line was full.

And both PMs are found in the ~./elc/chat_log.txt.

[21:03:16] [PM from ???: test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test tes]

[21:04:30] [PM from ???: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Linux, CVS client, a few days old.

Piper

What program are you using to view your chat log? Are you sure the messages aren't in the log?

Hi

same problem here with missing parts in chatlog. im not sure, but i think its the same here with longer sentences that wont show up in the log (just went through latest log)

Few infos: Win XP, font size 0,90 , window size 800x600

Not reproducable with current system.

I've just tried to recreate this bug on my current system, and could not with text from local chat, GM, and PM (to self). Included trying different fonts and scaling.

Current system is Gentoo linux on dual Athlon MP, with the emerged ELC 1.3.3, nvidia. System upto date after a major consistency rebuild over the weekend.

Edited by trollson