Eternal Lands Official Forums
Dizzee

Global pk area

this flagging idea is also incorperating 2 game mechanics.. 1 that applies whilest pk flagged and one that applies whilest not pk flagged.

My original idea tried to suggest a single game mechanics.

Why are you so insistent on changing an entire game's mechanics for an ability that only some people want? What is wrong with the way it is, other than from a roleplay standard?

this flagging idea is also incorperating 2 game mechanics.. 1 that applies whilest pk flagged and one that applies whilest not pk flagged.

Why are you so insistent on changing an entire game's mechanics for an ability that only some people want? What is wrong with the way it is, other than from a roleplay standard?

This is the suggestions forum?

Ok I'll try again, key words "entire game's mechanics", "insistent", and "only some people want"...you are trying really hard to make EL be something it isn't and wasn't planned to be. This isn't a "suggestion" like "how about more maps" or some such thing. You want a total remake, a whole new different game.

Ok I'll try again, key words "entire game's mechanics", "insistent", and "only some people want"...you are trying really hard to make EL be something it isn't and wasn't planned to be. This isn't a "suggestion" like "how about more maps" or some such thing. You want a total remake, a whole new different game.

I was really only intending to make a suggestion, generate a discussion on possablities it's a pity it has been taken for more. But non the less, are you saying that as the game matures and more possabilities arise that the need for a rewrite will never become necessary? If that time ever comes would you not want to feel that you have due consideration to as many options as possable.. and lets not forget that without seeing and actually understanding host script I can't have any idea on what will and won't require a rewrite

you are trying really hard to make EL be something it isn't
I don't even know what to say to that!! err...how about more maps?

Of course I'm not saying that major things won't change, but EL is made to appeal to ALL types of players, not ONLY fighters. Major things HAVE changed in the past, we had a total wipe because changes were so drastic...and whole new systems. But never was EL a "fighting only" game, no matter how drastic the changes. I really don't think it ever will be.

you know I completely agree with you.. always have.

My suggestion never proposed a game suitable only for fighters. EL most certainly isn' that type of game. If that is how my idea comes accross then I have truely failed in explaining it.

I simply propsed a system where currently safe area's are kept safe by a diffrent game mechanic, not 100% safe.. but sufficiently safe that it is hardly viable to pk in safe areas without a particularly meaningful purpose.

And yup ppl aren't 100% safe, but really would any person that has spent time building their char and their assests want to loose anything for the sake of mugging a newb for a few lillacs? Those that do get their kicks that way would soon find themselves broke and/or banished from the safe areas.

I think the best solution is to have a PK nexus.

Players who like a PK-everywhere aproach can take that nexus with their points, from there on it will be ON for rest of their chars live.

The idea of a flag being able tobe set on/off by the player is just weak IMHO, if they want tobe able to PK everywhere (vs others with same nexus) it should be a permanent thing, that way they will have a more thrilled experience from it as they like...

To even make their experience more satisfying their names could be displayed in a diff color (or underlined) for others to notice :)

/me awaits threads asking for restrictions on level differences in concern with this :o

*edit*

Here is a nice article discussing game balance etc wich also explains the necesity of pk...

"Players Who Suit MUDs" by Richard Bartle

Edited by TriMoonâ„¢

NEVER something like Pk nexus! I thought the PK flag idea, and thought it would be nice with some improvements (command would be like privacy: #set_pk on/off)

People who have PK flag on, would be PKable by all others with the flag on. There would also be maps where EVERYBODY is able to attack ANYBODY, current PK maps. Also some maps where nobody could kill anybody, IP, underworlds, insides and portal rooms.

When you log in with PK flag on, you won't be PKable by others in two minutes (resets if you attack somebody yourself). When you set it on, you wouldn't attack anybody in two minutes (resets if you are attacked by somebody). When you set it off, you would be PKable first two minutes (resets if you die).

There should be some way to see from distance (from name) who is PKable and who is not. Maybe we shouldn't change colors of names, which is currently used to show PKables and people in god mode. Maybe underlining or something...

To prevent abusing, an 5 minute cooldown should be used for it. So you set your PK flag on/off, then there is a message: "OK, now wait 5 minutes before the changes." Then after 5 minutes: "PK flag is now on/off"

Another idea is that you don't know who has PK flag on unless you have it on.

Anyway I don't really like the idea, it would make normal PK maps even more useless.

Global pk in the current system won't work!

Aislinn is so right it would require changing the whole game mechanics.

Even time flagging won't work; players will simple remove all equipment and log off in some remote place... log back and wait there till the flag has gone.

Permanent flagging is a thought but "forces" (nothing forces anyone) players to have alts which would need to interact and are therefore justifiably be illegal.

I suppose I would like to see an expanded combat system, might suprise you to know that I'm not a pker, but I belive in balance; one that wasn't just lvls. A combat system that gives someone attacking from behind the bonus they deserve (for example) in both pk and npc encounters (same rules should govern all?).. adds stratergy... not just this example but one where the David and Goliath scenario becomes a possablity.. maybe.. someone mentioned earlier giving ppl various skills on fighting technic, maybe differnt levels of skill, match a skilled unarmed fighter with a lesser skilled guy with a fencing sword and see who wins... mix that with A/D and P/C and you have a combat system with greater depth.

Obviously the maths involved is extreme.. I dunno... just thoughts... but I agree, that without a major change there is little point changing the current system

I say no. One main strength of EL is that we do not force anyone to participate in any particular skill. This would force everyone to PK, and IMO this definately does not fit with EL.

I agree