Eternal Lands Official Forums
Infamous

Lord of the flies day

Lord of the flies day  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the lord of the flies day implemented?

• Yes
    • No

and escaping shouldn't be easy else there wouldn't be any fun in it.
says you. it shouldn't be hard, either, because there's still no fun in that, IMO. and what about the people whose computers take a while to catch up? even if you are logged in and can move, it can be slow for a little while

I understand what yawl are saying, but I don't see how it can be good for EL in the long run

Edited by ttlanhil

OMFG, I would have never expected peoplemto object so much to this shit.

First of all, I think there is some missunderstanding regarding this day. It will NOT force players to attack other players.

It will give the players over a certain level the OPTION to attack other players over a certain level.

For all of the: "Omfg I am just a peaceful harvester or whatever and some mean PKer killedx0r me!11!oneeleven". Get a social life.

If people will be killing you it means they have no use for you, and they hate you. If a PKer buys stuff from you and your guild, most likely he or she will not just attack you like that, since they know there can be consequences, such as you and your guild not doing business with him/her and their guild.

Well, I have a surprise for you.

The new metals will be in PK maps, so you will have to do some PKing or have some alliances with others to protect you.

Why? Because it adds to the game. Makes it more interesting, creating a whole new world of politics, bribery, protection fees and so on.

FFS people, this is a game, not a life simulator. If someone PKs you, you won't die inside the Matrix. In EL, the body CAN live without the mind.

Ent already told us how it can be good in the long run

OMFG, I would have never expected peoplemto object so much to this shit.

First of all, I think there is some missunderstanding regarding this day. It will NOT force players to attack other players.

It will give the players over a certain level the OPTION to attack other players over a certain level.

For all of the: "Omfg I am just a peaceful harvester or whatever and some mean PKer killedx0r me!11!oneeleven". Get a social life.

If people will be killing you it means they have no use for you, and they hate you. If a PKer buys stuff from you and your guild, most likely he or she will not just attack you like that, since they know there can be consequences, such as you and your guild not doing business with him/her and their guild.

not force people to attack... right... just means you get attacked, which is worse since you have to be ready for it allatime.

for the people who think the peaceful people need to get a life, get a clue! there's more ways to play a game than mindless (or... minded?) violence... the great thing about EL used to be (yes, used to be, it's already a lot less than it used to be) the community... that's based on co-operation, not on competition, which is the difference between players fighting back mortos' army and killing each other

don't get me wrong, I know that some people want to play that way. fine, let them. but to force the rest of us to act like them is to ask for EL to move closer to becoming one of that crowd of games (with the chim wolves and messed-up sci-fi references as the defining points, I guess).. problem is that EL isn't set up to be able to do this, other games (like the UO ent mentioned) have ways to stop it going crazy, so that, as scarr pointed out, stuff can be made for the PKers to use. EL is also in need of more strategy and variance in fighting for it to work, but it's going the other way (reduced use of spells, rings, summons, etc)

and with the market as it is, PKers probably have a fair level of supply already, and losing potential trade partners isn't likely to be much of a loss to them. this would make it more clique-ish, as there's tighter groups of people doing the supply, fighting, etc (are PKers gonna protect people who don't make much for them?)

Well, I have a surprise for you.

The new metals will be in PK maps, so you will have to do some PKing or have some alliances with others to protect you.

Why? Because it adds to the game. Makes it more interesting, creating a whole new world of politics, bribery, protection fees and so on.

FFS people, this is a game, not a life simulator. If someone PKs you, you won't die inside the Matrix. In EL, the body CAN live without the mind.

Ent already told us how it can be good in the long run

the 2nd quote is about something totally different. as far as mining in more dangerous places, yes, it does that, and since it's optional, it's good. I agree with the challenge, etc as far as the PK-mines.

but the same thing does not apply to the LotF idea

and as to being killed isn't that big a deal... who's lost touch? it's annoying now, and if it gets far more frequent then it'll be a lot more annoying. maybe the older players have enough of an investment to stick it out, but newer players don't(again, the large-scale changes that would be needed, a serious penalty of a high-level player kills a newb, even though it may well be legal)

if it sounds like i'm making a bigger thing out of it than just one occasional day, you're right. because it's a lot more than that. this day, and the resources in PK-caves, shows a push towards an even stronger focus on fighting and PKing, something that is likely to keep going beyond this

Ooo, yes is winning by 0.50! :omg:

20 seconds is long enough to log in and see it's LOTF's day, say oh shit, type #beam me ...it doesn't take a rocket scientist :omg:

20 seconds is long enough to log in and see it's LOTF's day, say oh shit, type #beam me ...it doesn't take a rocket scientist :omg:

assuming that's true(which, for some peoples computers, it won't be), it doesn't do much good for you if you can't get to a storage to be able to get on with life, and no good at all if you're in a place where you can't beam.

You think that there are that much evil pkers that they are on every spot? OK, possible that for example they will be waiting for others to come out from IP at the docks, and to come out from storages at sto entrances, but remember, there are good pkers too, who will hunt them exactly at storage entrances and WS docks.

and as to being killed isn't that big a deal... who's lost touch? it's annoying now, and if it gets far more frequent then it'll be a lot more annoying. maybe the older players have enough of an investment to stick it out, but newer players don't(again, the large-scale changes that would be needed, a serious penalty of a high-level player kills a newb, even though it may well be legal)

Except that someone with a+d >= 120 isn't really a newbie.

20 seconds is long enough to log in and see it's LOTF's day, say oh shit, type #beam me ...it doesn't take a rocket scientist :)

20 seconds isn't long enough.. for some us it takes nearly a minute before we even see the el screen and all.. 5 minutes is more reasonable.

I do not see how you can say that this will improve the game or add more PK/pvp to the game. The only persons who would get attacked are the ones whose log on was too slow to see what kind of day it was. As you have continually pointed out the persons affected could go to IP or any other safe places if any are added and have stuff brought to them by players who are not affected. This simply means that the normal PKers will have each other to fight as usual but in any map. The players affected negatively as you pointed out are not newbies and can get away given enough log in time and have friends carry stuff to them. All you are doing is wasting the time of the players who have to sit on IP and the players who have to carry the stuff to them for them to have something to do.

There is no extra PK or pvp because the persons who do not go to the PK maps are not going to stand around waiting to get pawned. Yes there are players who would actually go out if all indoor places were safe because that would be fun and by choice. Anyone who could not get off of IP could buy a ring from someone and dash for storage somewhere if they could not cast the portal room spell. This could be interesting since it would be rare but if it is not done this way then you are not changing the game except to inconvenience players who are not going to stand around waiting to get killed and kill a few players with slower computers. Lots of entertainment value there.

Why waste time that could be used for implementing things that everyone in the game wants on an idea that could be easily avoided by anyone with a fast computer and so have no real affect on the game at all except to annoy and inhconvenience a great deal of players?

Tirun Collimdus Either it is unfair and PKers get free reign everywhere or the experienced players who are effected avoid the situation completely by inconveniencing friends and guild mates by having stuff brought to them. How is this not a waste of time?

Edited by TirunCollimdus

As its now 11 pages long I seem to have lost the plot with this thread..

When will the poll actually finish? Is it simply waiting for the Yes's catch up with the No's again? :o

Make a newbie character and see how easily you get to a+d>120. The fighting skills are the EASIEST skills to gain; I'm willing to bet that within 3 months of playing, an average player who only fights could easily be a+d>120.

As for the obviously lesser skill, alchemy and harvest could also go up not as quickly, but likely to gain about the same levels withing that time, if not another month or two. Magic - if you can get a friend to help you in a PK map later on (level 40, or with magic potions, 37-38 might be good to start at), the earlier levels may not gain so fast, but once you hit that threshold, it becomes the EASIEST skill to gain (given risk). Summoning may e a it of apain, I wouldn't know - limited experience. Potioning and Manufacture would be rather slow earning - you're near the top of your game by level 40 (by that, I mean being ale to make stuff, not actually having a top spot). As for Crafting, getting to such level in such attempted time is borderline insanity.

What's my point? Experience is skewed as such for comat skills versus production skills, it becomes so easy to fall in this a+D gap in a very short time if yo try, and still rather short if not really trying. That's not taking any account where if you aren't on the top 20 (maybe 50) lists for either a or d, and even then withot even more unbalancing equipment, don't even bother.

And I'd vote for making IP safe...I don't think brand new people would like being killed by big strong mean people as soon as they've started the game :P

In fact, I think that all players should be TPed to IP on startup. People can leave the place of peace as they desire.

scaf

Make a newbie character and see how easily you get to a+d>120. The fighting skills are the EASIEST skills to gain; I'm willing to bet that within 3 months of playing, an average player who only fights could easily be a+d>120.

true but after 3 months of playing you ain't a newbie anymore..

Edited by Hardcore

As for the obviously lesser skill, alchemy and harvest could also go up not as quickly, but likely to gain about the same levels withing that time, if not another month or two. Magic - if you can get a friend to help you in a PK map later on (level 40, or with magic potions, 37-38 might be good to start at), the earlier levels may not gain so fast, but once you hit that threshold, it becomes the EASIEST skill to gain (given risk). Summoning may e a it of apain, I wouldn't know - limited experience. Potioning and Manufacture would be rather slow earning - you're near the top of your game by level 40 (by that, I mean being ale to make stuff, not actually having a top spot). As for Crafting, getting to such level in such attempted time is borderline insanity.

What's my point? Experience is skewed as such for comat skills versus production skills, it becomes so easy to fall in this a+D gap in a very short time if yo try, and still rather short if not really trying. That's not taking any account where if you aren't on the top 20 (maybe 50) lists for either a or d, and even then withot even more unbalancing equipment, don't even bother.

I met a player that could make advanced manuing (serp, cuisses, greaves...) and still got auto-attacked by gobs.... How? Teamwork.

If in 3 months you get to a+d=120 you obviously want to be a fighter will be favourable to PK day.

true but after 3 months of playing you ain't a newbie anymore..

Still newer than most - my point was not that the character is newbie, but that starting from scratch, it's very easy to build a strong character for fighting.

I met a player that could make advanced manuing (serp, cuisses, greaves...) and still got auto-attacked by gobs.... How? Teamwork.

If in 3 months you get to a+d=120 you obviously want to be a fighter will be favourable to PK day.

2 things - 1.) some skills just build if you use them -period. They do build qicker if you "train" them, but just general use builds every skill eventally. If that was in one month, maybe 2, they would more likely be trying to be a fighter. 3 months, that's easier for "fighters", but still doable for just a general fighter.

Oh, and 2.) you are assuming every fighter is a PKer, or wants to be one - which simply isn't true. Check my stats if you want proof - I don't hide. I could reiterate the comment I've been trying to make, but you neither hear nor care to hear. Let the extortionists - err, I mean ebul PKers - own the game.

How about if there's one day where the stats are inverted? I mean, a newb with a/d = 3 can own the best A/D in the game, and the other way.

Would you like that? All the newbs going out of IP to hunt your heads easy. I could own every high A/D's above 42.

Let's see how fighters (either good or bad) see it when they're not the hunters, but the hunted.

Of course, I voted NO, a huge NO

How about if there's one day where the stats are inverted? I mean, a newb with a/d = 3 can own the best A/D in the game, and the other way.

Would you like that? All the newbs going out of IP to hunt your heads easy. I could own every high A/D's above 42.

Let's see how fighters (either good or bad) see it when they're not the hunters, but the hunted.

Your example doesnt make sense since you can build a new char at any time ;/

I voted yes of course :-)

It will be an exciting new day I think :devlish:

Your example doesnt make sense since you can build a new char at any time ;/

Of course it's nonsense, I just want to give the fighters that different point of view. Forget about the new characters, just think that way:

"Wherever I go, I'll die".

Would you log off or wear your full plate+serp and go out to see what's going on? And about PK mines...

"Moebius found an Enrichment Stone"

"Moebius is now answering an old age question"

And so on... well, I can always create a pvp character or quit but that's something I thought I wouldn't need in this game. When I started, I thought: "Why fighting if I'm not a PKer? (Ok, or a PKKer)". I'm still making myself that question. Now, it seems it's going to be neccesary, just because someone thought this game requires more pvp.

About the 120+ levels... I'd say 1-2 levels difference max between (a+d) and another 1-2 in (p+c) of players. That'd make it a little fair at least.

Ok, i read hardly 5 pages of this thread before i got tired, so maybe someone pointed this out before. If so i'm sorry :sneaky: But:

the community is one of the draw-cards of EL, isn't it?

then why do you think you would get pwned in ws docks and noone would defend you?

I was playing a game that used a 'pk everywhere' strategy before and i havent got pk'ed a single time :) i think 90% of EL pk'ers would just attack eachother instead of hunting helpless non-fighters and the remaining 10% would add some excitment to the game still being too few of them to ruin the lives of poor ordinary manuers :devlish:

I'm totally Yes :evilgrin: