Eternal Lands Official Forums
eagleprince

Help with connection problems.

Hi All,

I need some help, please. I need to get my connection fixed as I am still on page 1008 of 6000 pages on Titanium mining! At this rate it will take at least a month to finish the book! :devlish:

Here's the problem:

I run Slackware 10.2 (a versions of Linux) but it takes me about 10 attempts, on average, to get a connection that lasts more than 1 minute. Yesterday, I gave up and quit, especially because it was solar day, and I didn't want to get stranded outside IP. My internet connection is fine, and my ISP (bt.com) have stated on their website that they do not bloack any ports. My firewall is configured okay, and since, when I connect for more than five minutes, it generally stays on, I'm not sure where the problem is. However, I have confirmed that this does NOT happen when I have not started EL. I have the latest version/updates from the website.

Has anyone had this problem please, and if so, how did they resolve it?

EaglePrince

What do you mean exactly with a "connection"?

1) A general connection to the internet or

2) a connection with the EL client to the EL server?

If its 2), can you use the internet without problems, like can you use our forums, read the website?

Next step: Edit your el.ini file in your EternalLands folder and change the port number from 2000 to 2001 and try to connect to the test server. Do you have the same problem?

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

What do you mean exactly with a "connection"?

1) A general connection to the internet or

2) a connection with the EL client to the EL server?

If its 2), can you use the internet without problems, like can you use our forums, read the website?

Next step: Edit your el.ini file in your EternalLands folder and change the port number from 2000 to 2001 and try to connect to the test server. Do you have the same problem?

Piper

Hi Piper,

By that I mean EL client-to internet/server

My internet access is otherwise just fine, as long as EL is not running.... I can read forums, send/receive mail, everything really, except connect first-time to EL. Even if the router was already on-line, the EL client knoocks it out as soon as I start it. :devlish: So, as you can imagine, the rest of the family gets upset with me when I try to play EL while theye are also on-line.

However, thanks for the port 2001 tip. I will try that when I get home. BTW, do I need to create a char on the test server, or will it know me?

EaglePrince.

Edited by EaglePrince

It depends. Characters are converted to the test server not too often, so your character might be on there, might not. If its not, just create a new one the way you did on the live server

Arg, since you are a Linux user, you wont find the correct el.ini in your EternalLands folder, its in your home directory in the folder~/.elc.

And you know that you are on the test server, when the green welcome message is changed to "Test server" :-)

Piper

Hi again,

I tried the test server last night, and was pleased to find my char was not too out-of date.

I managed to connect after 2 attempts, but I think that was pure chance. It was strange having VOTD all to myself. :P

I'm fairly certain that it's not firewall/port related, otherwise I would not be able to connect at all. I went as far as cleaning out the entire EL folder, as well as ~/.elc, and started over, with exactly the same problems.

BTW, I never had these issues with version 1.1.2 - or whatever the previous version was. My graphics card is an ATI Sapphire 9550 with 256MB Ram. I know about the issues with ATI drivers, but I fixed that with the latest driver.

BTW, my router is a failrly old (2yrs) Billion ADSL wired router with built-in firewall, although my particular model has been discontinued. Rest of network is wireless.

Thanks for the input :)

okay, do you notice a correlation between visiting busy places and problems? when people are around, the system requirements shoot up. if there's a lack of CPU/ram/video memory/etc then you can hit problems... more so if there's a bug in one of the above (and there are issues with some hardware drivers in linux)

as far as CPU/ram, using something like `top`, or your desktop equivalent will help (which one depends on your desktop environment, and what stuff you have installed)

okay, do you notice a correlation between visiting busy places and problems? when people are around, the system requirements shoot up. if there's a lack of CPU/ram/video memory/etc then you can hit problems... more so if there's a bug in one of the above (and there are issues with some hardware drivers in linux)

as far as CPU/ram, using something like `top`, or your desktop equivalent will help (which one depends on your desktop environment, and what stuff you have installed)

That shouldn't explain why his DSL line goes down when he plays (hence the family getting annoyed).

That shouldn't explain why his DSL line goes down when he plays (hence the family getting annoyed).
if it's a router (and not set up as a bridge) then it should be impossible for the computer to take down the router, though it's possible it chokes on large packets or some such nonsence... checking out the computer still seems more likely

if the router is in bridged mode (acting only as a modem), then the computer itself is able to take it down a lot easier, but again it'd be the computer at fault

if it's a router (and not set up as a bridge) then it should be impossible for the computer to take down the router, though it's possible it chokes on large packets or some such nonsence... checking out the computer still seems more likely

if the router is in bridged mode (acting only as a modem), then the computer itself is able to take it down a lot easier, but again it'd be the computer at fault

I think I can be fairly certain that my hardware is fine. However, I was thinking about what you said about large packets choking the router... is there a required/recommended MTU setting? - although I'm not sure if my router will allow me to set that, or if it will cause other problems.

I also noticed that some of my buddies seem to be logging on/off rather frequently. Also, one of my guildies has also said that it took him like 20 attempts to connect yesterday! So I think this is not a problem specific to me, but rather the client version. BTW, did I mention that I had no such trouble with version 1.1.2 - or whatever the previous version was?

A MTU of something like 1400-1500 is usually good if your connection and router can handle it. Look in the manual for your router to see what MTU it "wants". My router specifically requested the setting to be 1456. However, MTU should normally not be a problem with EL.

Auto-update

The "problems" yesterday was probably connected to the auto-updating feature. Updating and restarting is the normal procedure, but in some instances the client needed to be restarted mor than once.

And if you have the wrong permissions set in linux, it could cause further problems.

A MTU of something like 1400-1500 is usually good if your connection and router can handle it. Look in the manual for your router to see what MTU it "wants". My router specifically requested the setting to be 1456. However, MTU should normally not be a problem with EL.

Auto-update

The "problems" yesterday was probably connected to the auto-updating feature. Updating and restarting is the normal procedure, but in some instances the client needed to be restarted mor than once.

And if you have the wrong permissions set in linux, it could cause further problems.

There were also a lot nof Net problems yesterday causing people to Grue in mass.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.