Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Selecter

95-97% of CPU

Yup, that's the normal CPU usage... It'll use as much power as possible in order to achieve the highest framerates/performance :)

As a general rule, EL currently tries to use as much cpu as possible in 3D mode to make your frame rate as high as possible. One thing on my wish list for those other poeple like me that multi task, is to be able to have a 'nice client' setting or similar. This would allow a person to tune how much CPU EL takes in order to allow other programs (like web browsers) to have more time.

If you need to multitask on a slower system, I suggest switching to console mode first. That drops CPU usage like a rock.

That is a llinuc only method and affects the entire game experiance as well. The best method to do would be to reduce only the CPU intensive portion, not the time critical portions. In the case of EL, slow/cap the frame rate, not the network or control portion.

Yes, lowering the priority will help, but I want a better solution then that.

Doesn't

nice -10 ./el.x86.linux.bin

do the trick?

Um, no, that would cause EL to run with a very high priority, making it difficult to do just about anything. You mean just "nice ./el.x86.linux.bin" (the default is 10). Or, you could just go to the console when you want to do something else, the CPU usage drops dramatically.