Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Roja

Cool Down - how to improve it

So far the cooldown has had very little impact on the economy itself. The biggest effect seems to be on fighters and summoners because of SRs. The only real effect seen in manufacturing (to include crafting, alchemy, and potions) is that because of the long delay of food or the additional cost of feasting pots you have more difficulty for the new players in starting a craft. The higher lvls do not fail so often and so the additional food cost is negligable.

Reduce the SR cooldown somewhat, or add additional items to help in both combat and summoning. A suggestion made plenty of times before and does a good job of adressing that issue (for now)

For manufacturing bring back the delays, but base them on lvl. At recommended lvl then you would fail often and the delays would be much longer then at higher lvls. This will help slow the influx of essences especially into the economy and not add a need to adjust the recommended lvls upwards because of so many higher lvl alchemists (even Magic Essence only has a recommended lvl of 20. A large disparity from the other skills higher lvl items)

Food cooldown doesn't need to be adjusted too much. With delays added back in one will have time to eat anyways. But for fruit and veggies to be such a long delay as opposed to cooked meat seems a bit unfair for the newer players. Admitedly cooked meat takes gc out of the economy. But I believe that those with the gc that need a stackable food would still take cooked meat at a 25 food, 20 sec cooldown over a 20 food 35 sec cooldown; saving a full 10 emu and 950 secs of cooldown per 1000 food units. (yes I know fruit is 60 sec currently, the 35 secs is an arbitrary figure to show that a lower delay in food consumption would still have the desired effect)

Lastly, to help adjust cooldown for each individul skill (as they all should be treated differently) cooldown can be added to more then just consumable items. Tools, equipment, even the manufacture window itself can all be looked into as additional means to slow production. To help balance the slowing in production and exp gains you might think of adding exp for fails as well as successes. We do learn from our mistakes. Less exp then if you would have succeded, but some exp nevertheless so that all those fails do not hurt so much with the long delays.

Guest Enyo

That actually is a point I wanted to ask all of you: Do you want the mixing times back as they were?

(note also that it is almost 100% positive that the cool downs for some things WILL be reduced a little in an update)

How about putting the cooldown on the tools used and reducing the food cooldown? That would allow you the make a shield, eat, make a potion, make a bar, eat, wait for the hammer to finish cooling down, then repeat. If this is done you'd need to retest to see if the manu times need adjusting or not.

I don't like this idea at all, Learner. I feel that a cooldown on tools is worse than on food because at least with food we can make do with such items as feasting potions. A cooldown on tools will slow the mixing process even more so than what it already is using feasting potions. Personally, I'm content with the cooldown on food since we have feasting potions.

The cooldown on food is playable thanks to feasting potions. Feasting potions are a necessity and not a luxury. Most people need thousands of feasting potions in order to make essence or other potions in mass quantities even if only for themselves or friends. To save some time (allot of time) by making it more feasible and cost effective to make feasting potions, remove the raw meat and replace it with an extra fruit or veggie. Don't forget that it also requires feasting potions to make yet more feasting potions. Thanks.

Edited by Enyo

That actually is a point I wanted to ask all of you: Do you want the mixing times back as they were?

(note also that it is almost 100% positive that the cool downs for some things WILL be reduced a little in an update)

How about putting the cooldown on the tools used and reducing the food cooldown? That would allow you the make a shield, eat, make a potion, make a bar, eat, wait for the hammer to finish cooling down, then repeat. If this is done you'd need to retest to see if the manu times need adjusting or not.

I don't like this idea at all, Learner. I feel that a cooldown on tools is worse than on food because at least with food we can make do with such items as feasting potions. A cooldown on tools will slow the mixing process even more so than what it already is using feasting potions. Personally, I'm content with the cooldown on food since we have feasting potions.

The cooldown on food is playable thanks to feasting potions. Feasting potions are a necessity and not a luxury. Most people need thousands of feasting potions in order to make essence or other potions in mass quantities even if only for themselves or friends. To save some time (allot of time) by making it more feasible and cost effective to make feasting potions, remove the raw meat and replace it with an extra fruit or veggie. Don't forget that it also requires feasting potions to make yet more feasting potions. Thanks.

Personally, I think the delays made much more sense (as far as production goes) than the food cooldowns. As such, I'd rather see tool cooldowns than, say, food cooldowns - I mean, I could see someone working hard, then needing to wait while their hammer cooled down before they continue, but why wait for your RAW veggies or food to cooldown to eat it? Or, for that matter, who really wants their cooked meat ice cold before they can take a bite?

As I see it, the cooldown didn't help the oversupply problem - then again, that has already been told to us that it wasn't supposed to. Now, some products didn't have an oversupply problem - they were pretty much used as soon as they can be made (this was generally true on one-use items like essences and potions; I am purposely excluding rings for another issue that affects them). The oversupply problem happens more to items that don't get used/broken often (weapons, armors, bars, fire essence). A tool cooldown could put a more natural delay on these overproduced goods that require tools, while leaving the abundantly used items free to use abundantly.

Though this could be problematic to do, I think it would be nice if it could be programmed so that tools increased cooldown gradually depending on what item is made, and a "cooling" tool could still be used, but would have an increased chance of failure (or, even breakage of the tool). Each tool would have to have it's own cooldown rate, which could be read by "using" the item. One major problem I can see already though, is that the cooldown would have to be for all items of that type (all hammers, all needles, etc.) and done like the current cooldown, or we could have people trying to store cooling tools, withdrawing them, and no cooldown, or just switching spots and confusing the client. Just an idea.

I just feel like saying something more on the cooldown. Since the cooldown's been added in, I've noticed that my summoning has almost stopped to a halt due to food cooldown and also that the 2 or 3 times I've been killed, the only times over the last 4 months, have been caused by cooldown. Believe me, it's humiliating to die carrying 10 body res....

All I really have to say is that food needs to be down to something like 10-15, notably for fruits and veggies. BR and SR need to be a little quicker, 1/2 - 3/4 the current time.

Guest Enyo

My suggestion is to get rid of the cooldown altogether. Thanks. But if you are not, PLEASE don't put it on tools. I know that I will personally give up on making anything at all because it won't be fun anymore. At least with feasting pots we can work around the cooldown on food when mixing items. We just need to alter the recipe for feasting pots to remove raw meat and replace it either with cooked meat or an extra fruit or veggie. Thanks again.

My suggestion is to get rid of the cooldown altogether. Thanks. But if you are not, PLEASE don't put it on tools. I know that I will personally give up on making anything at all because it won't be fun anymore. At least with feasting pots we can work around the cooldown on food when mixing items. We just need to alter the recipe for feasting pots to remove raw meat and replace it either with cooked meat or an extra fruit or veggie. Thanks again.

I would say NOT cooked meat if you change the feasting potion recipe - it keeps the same problem already mentioned, just adding another step in the process.

Guest Enyo

I would say NOT cooked meat if you change the feasting potion recipe - it keeps the same problem already mentioned, just adding another step in the process.

No, it doesn't because at least with cooked meat you can buy it from the tavern. Its impossible to get thousands of raw meat per player and keep up with that demand. The poor summoners won't have a chance and no one has that kind of time in a day to do nothing more than hunt for meat to make feasting potions which also requires a feasting potion to make yet another feasting potion. It all sorta defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Shrugs.. I dunno, I'm just the goddess type.

..Or we can just stick with making a zillion trips back and forth to Mira and yes even with them stackable, it will be many trips and even more for those who have lower PC which means that they can carry less emu. I realize that we can't please everyone, thats impossible. A nice compromise would be to alter the current recipe for feasting pots which was created long before the cooldown on food was implemented to remove the raw meat item and replace either with cooked meat or an extra fruit or veggie. Thanks.

shorten the cooldown-times of dis and dam-ring a bit. as too high cooldown negates any tactical use of them and too low cooldowns lead to excessive use. go medium =)

I just read this complete thread and what I am about to say hasnt been said before, only in lines as:

"please shorten the time on food"

or lines of text with similar content.

I tried to create some things with fruit the other day ... and I found out that it is still not good to use fruit for production, so I went back to FP's again.

I have a maybe revolutionary solution :P

Make it so that everybody has better options to eat (options are good right? :P )

Here is the idea:

Make cooldown time for bread smallest and FP largest, but do it so that FP is still best to use in (mass) production!

How?

for example: (numbers can be tweaked, but these figures will make my idea clear)

Bread +10 in food and 10 sec waiting time

Vegetable +20 in food and 15 sec waiting time

Fruit +30 in food and 19 sec waiting time

Cooked Meat +40 in food and 22 sec waiting time

Feasting Pots +50 in food and 24 sec waiting time

This will result in the following:

For an increase of 600 food points you need:

* 60 pieces of bread and in total 60 x 10 = 600 sec

* 30 pieces of Vegetable and in total 30 x 15 = 450 sec

* 20 pieces of Fruit and in total 20 x 19 sec = 380 sec

* 15 pieces of Cooked Meat and in total 15 x 22 = 330 sec

* 12 Pieces of Feasting Pots and in total 12 x 24 = 288 sec

So for 600 food points the waiting time is largest for bread and smallest for FP, but for single item bread is faster than FP

This will bring more options into production, do you choose free items such as vegetable and or fruit you can manu not quite as fast as when you use FP.

I think an additional idea for this would be:

Make FP little bit less heavy (2-3 EMU is enough) and a little bit less expensive (?) so advanced players will still favor FP's but beginning players wont have as much difficulties as they are facing now.

Think it over and react on it please

Thanks for reading

GarfieldClown

24 seconds on FP? Can you imagine making diss rings with 36 food needed? Even with 10 seconds, I have to wait on another FP. The food as you posted it is just fine, but FP is pretty well balanced at the moment, no need to change it. And lesser price? Just count the ingredients price and food consumed. I have level 40 in potions and still I rather buy FP than make.

24 seconds on FP? Can you imagine making diss rings with 36 food needed? Even with 10 seconds, I have to wait on another FP. The food as you posted it is just fine, but FP is pretty well balanced at the moment, no need to change it. And lesser price? Just count the ingredients price and food consumed. I have level 40 in potions and still I rather buy FP than make.

Maybe cut back the food-costs for a number of items could solve that problem ... and as I stated in my post the numbers I gave (both +food and cooldowntime) can be changed.

I mainly thought of this 'system' to give the mixer more options to eat than only FP's to work with.

And in the end FP's still work best if this would be used