Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ghrae

CEL's new home

Announcement: Guild CEL is getting a new website!

The website will have the same location (http://www.el-cel.com) but will undergo a massive face lift and introduce some new pages with even more helpful information.

The go-live date isn't set in stone, but if everything goes smoothly it will be up the weekend of New Years, so be on the look out.

The face lift is mostly the work of Phenic who has spent countless hours explaining the basics of graphics to me. But the site itself is the work of a large number of players and of course guild CEL. I'm forever greatful for all the help, suggestions and even corrections (go figure, I'm not perfect!) that people have offered.

Get ready EL Players... it's coming soon!

even corrections (go figure, I'm not perfect!)

Thats the truth, I have seen many instances of that :icon8: .

But its a really cool update, its a major step for the website

It's gonna look great, they put a lot of hard work into it :blink:

I plan on updating the site tomorrow morning.

Somethings that will affect people: URLs will now be in all lower case. I had mix case before and had numerous complaints. Sorry about that, but it is being fixed.

If you had the following bookmarked

http://www.el-cel.com/Info/Books.php

It will now be

http://www.el-cel.com/info/books.php

This only pertains to the base URL. Searches etc will remian the way they were. For example, if you had

http://www.el-cel.com/Info/Books.php?Category=Alchemy

It will now be

http://www.el-cel.com/info/books.php?Category=Alchemy

(Note the "C" in Category and "A" in Alchemy are still mixed case)

Again, these changes won't take place until Saturday. The site will look MUCH different, so you'll know at a glance when it has gone into effect.

I will post in General Chat when it has gone live in an attempt to alert everyone.

Edited by Kit

The new site is up and running.

Any errors, bugs, comments, ideas - please send them to info@el-cel.com

Desert chim - Agresive - NO <-- change to yes.

Forest chim 120/120 a/d - 120/90 a/d (99% sure)

Also and Artic chim sounds Agresive to me ;)

Edited by sMooMs

Desert chim - Agresive - NO <-- change to yes.

Forest chim 120/120 a/d - 120/90 a/d (99% sure)

Also and Artic chim sounds Agresive to me ;)

Fixed - Thank you

I think you guys have a little problem:

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.el-cel.com Port 80

You are 100% correct.

A year ago, guild CEL decided to have a website of their own. It started out simple but as the guildies became more and more enthusiastic, the site took more shape.

Soon Guild CEL wanted to provide more for the game. With Alastria's Guide and Fred Penner's Page abandoned, the guild slowly built a comprehensive information database for Eternal Lands. Site visits and use rose as the site added more and more features.

Recently the bandwidth usage of the site has reached the maximum allowed by this server. The guild is making arrangements to move to a new server without limitations on bandwidth. While the upcoming new server will allow us to continue to grow and serve the players of Eternal Lands, this server does come at a greater cost.

We have secured a new server with greater bandwidth for the site, however, there are some petty problems with our current server that keeps us from moving everything over. We are working to try and get that resolved ASAP.

Starting this week, we have added a small "Donations" button to each page to take in contributions to offset the cost of the server and any other updates made to the site. Money received will not go to any of the people involved.

On behalf of Guild CEL, thank you for your patience while things are being changed

- Ghrae

P.S. For those of you with questions or concerns, please visit us on the forums once we are back up and running.

Edited by Kit

You are 100% correct.

A year ago, guild CEL decided to have a website of their own. It started out simple but as the guildies became more and more enthusiastic, the site took more shape.

Soon Guild CEL wanted to provide more for the game. With Alastria's Guide and Fred Penner's Page abandoned, the guild slowly built a comprehensive information database for Eternal Lands. Site visits and use rose as the site added more and more features.

Recently the bandwidth usage of the site has reached the maximum allowed by this server. The guild is making arrangements to move to a new server without limitations on bandwidth. While the upcoming new server will allow us to continue to grow and serve the players of Eternal Lands, this server does come at a greater cost.

We have secured a new server with greater bandwidth for the site, however, there are some petty problems with our current server that keeps us from moving everything over. We are working to try and get that resolved ASAP.

Starting this week, we have added a small "Donations" button to each page to take in contributions to offset the cost of the server and any other updates made to the site. Money received will not go to any of the people involved.

On behalf of Guild CEL, thank you for your patience while things are being changed

- Ghrae

P.S. For those of you with questions or concerns, please visit us on the forums once we are back up and running.

Thank you for the information!

From all the guild websites I have seen so far, yours is one of the most informative.

I very much appreciated the major update that happened a couple of weeks ago.

I have a suggestion for you: how about using an already existing CMS like MediaWiki (used by Wikipedia). This seems to be very stable, and is quite fast and doesn't hog resources. Best of all I think is the easy way of adding new information: you can just "wikify" interesting words.

I have a suggestion for you: how about using an already existing CMS like MediaWiki (used by Wikipedia). This seems to be very stable, and is quite fast and doesn't hog resources. Best of all I think is the easy way of adding new information: you can just "wikify" interesting words.

1 - My one use of Wiki so far (TikiWiki) makes me cringe. I found it to be the most un-organized structures I've ever seen. Very bad experience.

2 - The site started as my second website. It's more a project in learning how to build websites, learn site infastructure, methods etc. This may be a great use to the players of EL, but it is also a learning tool for me as it constantly asks me to learn something new to give more functionality to everyone.

Oh, and thank you for your kind words. It's nice to know that we are on the right track with how the site works. If you have any suggestions, please let us know once the site is up! :devlish:

just as heads up, the site ran out of bandwidth last night. Try putting some of the pictures into flash files to integrate the interface a little, saves a bit of bandwidth

erm... yes, we know, if you read the posts before you, you will see that the problem has been brought up and answered :devlish: thanks anyways. :ph34r:

just as heads up, the site ran out of bandwidth last night. Try putting some of the pictures into flash files to integrate the interface a little, saves a bit of bandwidth

I do not have the software or the know how for flash.

At least... at this time.

FYI - The site is up. DNS propagation may take a while depending on your ISP.

1 - My one use of Wiki so far (TikiWiki) makes me cringe. I found it to be the most un-organized structures I've ever seen. Very bad experience.

2 - The site started as my second website. It's more a project in learning how to build websites, learn site infastructure, methods etc. This may be a great use to the players of EL, but it is also a learning tool for me as it constantly asks me to learn something new to give more functionality to everyone.

Oh, and thank you for your kind words. It's nice to know that we are on the right track with how the site works. If you have any suggestions, please let us know once the site is up! :)

You may give me all the flamage you want, because I am one of the many TikiWiki developers. Low on the ladder, though. :whistle:

Anyway, keep up the good work, you're doing a fine job!

I do not have the software or the know how for flash.

At least... at this time.

No! Please!! No Flash!!!

I'm using a 64 bit Linux, an Macrobe simply refuses to provide a decent 64 bit flash viewer. That means I'm stuck with a 32 bit external viewer in an emulation layer. In laymans terms: flash menus simply won't work on my box.

If your major concern is bandwith, consider cascading style sheets and very tightly written html.

If you appreciate suggestions that would lower your bandwith AND at the same time give ALL your visitors the same experience no matter what their browser or OS is, just let me know how I can contact you.

FYI - The site is up. DNS propagation may take a while depending on your ISP.

Tnx 4 the intel. It's looking good.