Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

New spells interface

Well, they are really unique.

It's quite difficult to get complete contrasts between such spells like: small increase of health, medium increase of health, large increase...etc...It's hard trying to associate images with most of these in fact.

We could separate them onto 4 different lines, in the categories that Entropy suggested earlier. The first line would have healing and harming spells, as well as some any other combat spells added in the future like fireballs or whatever, another could have the teleporting spells, and the last one could have invetory/3d object spells?

Well, they are really unique.

It's quite difficult to get complete contrasts between such spells like: small increase of health, medium increase of health, large increase...etc...It's hard trying to associate images with most of these in fact.

You are right of course, but who said they have to look like they do know (sigil-like) :devlish:

Just a few examples out of some other game :(

They only look like they do now because they are made from sigils! If we change that then maybe some day when I have nothing better to do and I feel there's a need I will change them..now please, drop the subject this is kind of offtopic.

The subject should be how utterly awesome my work is and how you want to try it out yourself.

On a more serious note, do people have thoughts on how the interface should look? I was thinking about having the spells vertically on the left edge of the window kind of like the quickspell interface, but hovering over the game area. Then make it so you have to right click on the spell to cast so that you do not accidentally cast something when you intended to move.

The subject should be how utterly awesome my work is and how you want to try it out yourself.

On a more serious note, do people have thoughts on how the interface should look? I was thinking about having the spells vertically on the left edge of the window kind of like the quickspell interface, but hovering over the game area. Then make it so you have to right click on the spell to cast so that you do not accidentally cast something when you intended to move.

What about on the right bar where the magic quickbar is? Unless thats being kept, it might be more intuitive to keep to the right?

I think the magic spells should go into the quickbar when you use them-as they do now. So if you wanted to use a spell not in the quickbar, you open up the spell window to use it..then it goes to the quickbar for..quick..use

Ok, please everyone, this is not a thread for suggestions on how spells work, it is for the new interface and protocol. Post spell suggestions (after searching the forum) in the suggestions forum. Most of the suggestions in this thread have already been suggested elsewhere.

Ok, I have as much of the interface done as I have information for.

Currently I am parsing the sigils so that I have something to display.

The xml file is stored in config_dir/spells.xml but that can be changed easily.

I have 4 HE, 1 ME, 1 SE, and 5 EE in my inventory. My magic lvl is 34, and I have all the sigils (think knowledge).

20060327newspells7in.jpg

In this image I am hovering over the restore spell and it is highlighted and the name/description is displayed. 4 other spells are available given my inventory. 8 more spells are available given my knowledge and magic level. 2 spells are not shown due to my magic level.

All one has to do is click on the spell to cast it. Right now I build up the sigil list and send it.

Since posting I have modified it a little so that if you do not have the mana/magic lvl the icon is faded blue, and if you do not have ingredients it is faded yellow, just for some fun variety.

The hooks are in the xml and spell object for cooldown, separate particle effects files, target distance, and cursor color, but not implemented in the interface yet. Also, I am debating how we should add spells from here into the quickbar. I guess we could add a button, or have right-click add to quickbar.

So, Ent, where do we go from here? (Other than me cleaning this up and posting a patch)

Perfect

from now on we should talk 'face to face', either in the game, or on some IM.

You live in Australia?

What times (UTC) are you available?

Nah, I think you'll need this thread for a patch announcement, or whatever you choose to do to test it out. (Beats making another thread and linking it back to this one for the specs).

Ok, I would like to submit a pre-patch to prep the codebase for the spell interface. It would be mainly renaming the "sigil" functions to "spell". My question would be should this go in before or after the update. I assume after.