Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Plans for the future

I agree. Call them deadfalls, pungee sticks, arrow, dart, or fire traps, even magical traps, but I think explosives are a bit high-tech for the Lands.

Dave

210612[/snapback]

Well, they won't be called mines.

Some of them will be called "proximity self detonating explosive devices" and others will be called "magically remotely controlled explosive devices".

People! Have you actually played the game? Have you made quests?

EL has sattelites! So mines are in a right place. Nothing wrong with them.

Regards

Chryzopraz

210622[/snapback]

These things will change. The quest team is currently reviewing the "old" quests.

Well, they won't be called mines.

Some of them will be called "proximity self detonating explosive devices" and others will be called "magically remotely controlled explosive devices".

:lol: that was funny :lol:

People! Have you actually played the game? Have you made quests?

EL has sattelites! So mines are in a right place. Nothing wrong with them.

Regards

Chryzopraz

210622[/snapback]

No sorry im new

and while we at it,replace archery for bazookas and sniper rifle

These things will change. The quest team is currently reviewing the "old" quests.

Yeah, if you want all the quest team to get banned, touch my quests :hehe: I am serious.

and while we at it,replace archery for bazookas and sniper rifle

210758[/snapback]

Do we have archery? Was it added last night when I was sleeping?

Actually, I think it would be a cool idea to replace the word "mines" with the word "traps".

"Proximity trap" and "Remote controlled trap" sound so much better.

Yeah, if you want all the quest team to get banned, touch my quests :) I am serious.

210760[/snapback]

You and Roja need to get together to discuss this, and settle it once and for all. Seriously. It's been an issue for nearly 2 years now. I don't really mind if you have to scrap my stories, but just don't leave it half-this, half-that, the way we have now. It's working at cross-purposes when the quest team is trying to go fully medieval and the creator wants to be high-tech.

Please, just decide it once and for all between yourselves, and then change what you need to. Don't leave it hanging in the air forever.

-Lyn-

P.S. Yes, I came back from the dead just to say that. :hehe: Goodbye again. :)

Yeah, if you want all the quest team to get banned, touch my quests :hehe: I am serious.

210760[/snapback]

respectfully, it doesn't seem to be your call. Roja is head of dev, yes? and she's said that those things will be changed (and it is a problem, because it ruins the RP for some people)

if you disagree with that, you need to get it sorted out ASAP, because the quest team is working based on what Roja said, and things are getting updated. If you're going to veto their updates, you should let them know not to waste their time on it and work on other things

Guest Enyo

I think it all sounds interesting.. EL is more than "just" medieval.. it's a mixture of medieval/fantasy/mythology .. so you can work with a variety of ideas based on this equation. in otherwords.. it can work :axeman_rune:

Guest Enyo
respectfully, it doesn't seem to be your call. Roja is head of dev, yes? and she's said that those things will be changed (and it is a problem, because it ruins the RP for some people)

210785[/snapback]

i think that they work as a team if i'm not mistaken..

Edited by Electra

I think it all sounds interesting.. EL is more than "just" medieval.. it's a mixture of medieval/fantasy/mythology .. so you can work with a variety of ideas based on this equation.  in otherwords.. it can work  :axeman_rune:

210787[/snapback]

apparently the portland library has/had a copy of the GUT (something earth physicists have been working on for a long time and would love to have) yet the greatest armour available in EL is iron platemail?

or pirates use satellites, and irilion has gauss cannons as coastal defenses?

no, sometimes you can mix sci-fi and fantasy, and it can even work out very well, but how it currently stands in EL just isn't believable (to me, at least)

for an example where it works, have a look at the game arcanum. it's not perfect by any means, and the sciences/technologies are a bit more powerful and better developed than magics can ever get (fair enough, since the science in a sword&sorcery world is the novel part of arcanum), but it is mostly beleivable

Guest Enyo
apparently the portland library has/had a copy of the GUT (something earth physicists have been working on for a long time and would love to have) yet the greatest armour available in EL is iron platemail?

or pirates use satellites, and irilion has gauss cannons as coastal defenses?

no, sometimes you can mix sci-fi and fantasy, and it can even work out very well, but how it currently stands in EL just isn't believable (to me, at least)

210789[/snapback]

it works with stargate.. i think it can work.. why not? as for believable or not.. it's all in the imagination. some people believe that earth was originally inhabited by a species from another solar system or planet.. we had technology back in the day of the great pyramids and pharohs before electricity was even invented. is that believable? anything can be believable as long as one doesn't limit themselves to thinking inside of a box.

it works with stargate..

those with power have hi-tech stuff in stargate...
we had technology back in the day of the great pyramids and pharohs before electricity was even invented.
what technology was in egypt, though? it was all pretty low-tech stuff
is that believable? anything can be believable as long as one doesn't limit themselves to thinking inside of a box.

210791[/snapback]

difference of opinions. I just think there's too much of a difference in the levels of development in different scientific areas. given that Draia has experienced even more dangerous times than Earth during equivalent times, the need for military might is even higher, hence all the people with full plate armour (instead of just knights, generals, and maybe the luckier infantry)

Guest Enyo

210792[/snapback]

i think that maybe you are just being a little too serious for EL .. this is suppose to be fun.. try not to be such a critic..no offense meant here. lighten up and take a chill pill.. :hehe:

Thanks for announcing the new skill Ent.

I was planning to do the new Wraith quest for the 1000exp reward.

Now I will wait untill the new skill is implemented !! :hehe:

Edited by Minardus

P.S. Yes, I came back from the dead just to say that.  :omg: Goodbye again.  :)

210779[/snapback]

Good heavens! A ghost!

And just in time for Halloween. Is this a great place or what?

Dave

210789[/snapback]

I agree it can work - numerous books have been written, some of them well, in which magic and technology have co-existed and competed.

I recall a series once where some Dungeons and Dragons players manage to travel from Earth to a D&D world, and they take firearms with them. They had the advantage until local mages discovered a way to simulate the effect of gunpowder: they magically trap steam under very high pressure in tiny water-soluble pellets. To detonate the pellets just add water. In other words, they created military-grade Pop Rocks. It made for some interesting effects in a battle during a rainstorm.

I know there's been some discussion on whether to keep the science fiction elements of the game, and it sounds like there needs to be some more. But what we've had so far doesn't seem to affect gameplay; it just provides an interesting backstory. I'm okay with that. But that's why I suggested that mines not be called mines. (I meant that to be a suggestion, anyway. I hope it didn't come across as a demand.)

If Entropy and team want to introduce technology, I'm okay with that too. It opens up a lot of opportunities for new skills (mechanic, gunsmith, demolition?), new weapons (the ever-popular shotgun), even new races (Off-worlder: human but with bonuses for tech skill and penalties for magic use).

Balancing technology and magic is tricky. Since EL does not have fixed classes, one could expect to be able to use both. In that case I'd recommend that magic and technology be complementary: one does not simulate the effects of the other. If we had fixed classes I'd suggest the opposite for fairness.

Dave

I love the idea of the shared vission at a high PP cost, some of us who arnt so usefull in combat, except for say summoning, will love it if the guild and/or allies can see what we are doing. Gives us a place to spend those extra PP's on =)

Me and Entropy decided to make the current lands stay medieval in nature, but to have another land, like a parallel world with futuristic things as a compromise. You will be able to take medieval items into the futuristic world, but you would only have an extremely rare chance of taking futuristic things back into the medieval world(plus it'd be expensive so it wouldn't happen much at all nor ruin the fantasy/medieval appeal of the medieval lands-i will make sure of that).

Since Entropy wrote his quests they can stay if he wants...but that doesn't mean the quest team has to follow with their style. The quest/story writing team will just keep doing what it has been doing lately, a good job :omg:

If they conflict..well then so be it for now.

Obviously I'm the medieval fantasy person..while Entropy is the high tech person. We really have too many opposite tastes to make a game together, but it happened anyway..so that's why conflicts like these come up. We just try to compromise as much as possible. I'm also not against a fantasy/medieval+technological world (eg Final Fantasy series), but this game did not start out that way..It should have though, considering our different tastes.

Please reread my post.

210893[/snapback]

I take it all back - I did read the text, but apparently my ability to understand english grammar is pretty poor ;) Sorry for my last posting :P

Guys, you know, I am really tired of the: "Omfg this is supposed to be a medieval game". You wrongly assumed this, I never said anywhere that EL is ONLY a medieval game.

If you want strictly medieval games, go and play some other game. Such as Runescape, Planeshift, UO, WoW, and many others.

Oh, and FYI, Roja is not the boss, we both are.

Regarding Entropy's first post:

The few times I've played War3, it was the general build-your-city-and-army-as-fast-as-can stuff, but having seen a DotA addict friend of mine playing, I have seen how much fun it is and how it demands integration between allied players, to a point that sometimes he would use skype or teamspeak to communicate faster. IMO this is very positive and would add great value to EL. But I also think that there should be a way to a magician defeat a strong fighter, with more kinds of offensive spells (such as cripple enemy's attributes, make him temporarily unable to use magic or summoning, turn temporarily an enemy into some lower creature and so on). Now that a magic quickbar exists it would be much more viable. And also would be great to have more items (more rings? like the invisibility one already suggested by Entropy) that would be like a 1 time only equivalent to one of the new offensive spells, or one that would make you automatically respawn where you died.

Concerning the medieval/hi-tech stuff, I just don't care. Depends much on what mood we prefer on EL: to be uber serious RP or funny. I'm okay with both.

Edited by Ornitorrinco