Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
trollson

Seasons

I think this has been mentioned before, though not for a while, and the discussion on weather got me thinking about how this could work...

Seasons

Now, I am assuming that the map files (.elm) contain references to stock 3D and 2D objects -- particularly in this case the flora and ground textures. If they don't then the following won't work...

To represent different seasons, create seperate models for the appearence of each piece of folage. Take a deciduous tree as an example, with a seperate model for each of the four temperate seasons:

• In winter its branches are bare.
  • In spring it sports folage, and maybe blossoms.
  • In summer it sports folage, and maybe and fruit.
  • In autumn/fall its folage becomes red/orange/brown as it starts to fall.

The map file would still reference the base object, so does not require any changes. When the client loads the map, it knows what season to apply, and references the correct seasonally-adjusted model.

Now, if we had four fixed seaons, then the appearence of the map would change dramatically on certain days. What would be nicer is if there was a graduated transition.

So we increase the resolution to, say, 12 "months", and provide a lookup per base object to its seasonal variant for each "month" -- a model could have anywhere between one and twelve variants (if the modeller is feeling particularly enthusiastic!).

Since there is a decent number of tree types, they don't all need to change season at the same time -- so in a mixed forest the trees would appear to change from winter to spring over the course of upto 3 "months". We still get a jump each 'month', and could take an even finer granularity if desired, but thats just a detail.

So now we have a more gradual change in the world over the course of a 'year'.

Right, I have been quoting the "month" in the preceding paragraphs. These do not have to be actual calendar months, but just mark the progression of the year. Sometimes winter comes early, or we have a short summer. So for each (outside) map the effective "month" can be reported when the map is entered/loaded. Variations can be determined by some pseudo random process, and can vary according to the map.

So this is all very nice, and we could use it to put snow on the ground (texture variation at least) in winter. But what else...

What about seasonal harvestables?! These would fit in nicely in this scheme.

Suppose a flower only blossomed for one month of the year, and was only harvestable then? This would allow the visual representation. If the plant was an important ingredient, imagine the rush to harvest! Especially if you couldn't be certain how long the 'month' would last... This could have a massive impact on the alchemy and potion trade, and thus on the economy. But for good or bad?

Of course, if Irrilion was in the southern hemisphere and Seridia was in the north, then the seasons would be 6 months out of phase -- trade in seasonal harvestables?

Edited by trollson

yer seasons rock, but this aint plannet earth so maby its diffrent here ;p

Not earth!@? What planet is this then ? Planet eternal lands ? O.o

the planet is called Draia (well, currently. it's not used that much that it'd be impossible to change :devlish: )

the planet is called Draia (well, currently. it's not used that much that it'd be impossible to change :devlish: )

201806[/snapback]

I think we'll keep it, it's in enough stories and plans for stories...not to mention out of respect for Lyanna.

I think we'll keep it, it's in enough stories and plans for stories...not to mention out of respect for Lyanna.

201810[/snapback]

yeah, I like it too, hope there's nothing big enough that it has to change (like some copyright lawyer making trouble, perhaps)

Not earth!@? What planet is this then ? Planet eternal lands ? O.o

201801[/snapback]

the planet is called Draia

lalalalala :sneaky:

lalalalala :blush:

201877[/snapback]

I'm beginning to undestand where shivar got almost 4k posts from....

201895[/snapback]

Says the pot.

For seasons to show we need new maps, cp IP summer map and IP winter map.

It is the general idea to have seasons, but there is quite a bit of work involved in making those maps, so if we are patient enough, maybe we will have seasons.

And I think a summer and winter would be sufficient enough, ie snow and non-snow seasonal maps

202280[/snapback]

actually, the plans for the map format will mean they can be changed dynamically. that means we can scale in the snow depending on time of year and how recent there's a blizard, funky stuff like that. we probably won't go that far, but one day it should all work from the one map

depending on how complicated we want it to be, we can have snow level on ground increase in areas where it 'storms' while that happens, then decrease whenever it's not snowing (unless temperature is low enough, including local check on fires and people sitting in one place a while)

too compliated? probably. but it's funny to think about (and would be nifty to see)

So wait, you could make "snow angels" from when you were sitting in snow? :D

202292[/snapback]

hmm... theoretically, if the map customisation went into that fine-grained detail, and if you were able to lay down (or make a big one from a number of people warming an outline on the ground)

It is the general idea to have seasons, but there is quite a bit of work involved in making those maps, so if we are patient enough, maybe we will have seasons.

And I think a summer and winter would be sufficient enough, ie snow and non-snow seasonal maps

202280[/snapback]

I think what was suggested is taht you change what directory you take the 2d and 3d objects from...if that would be at all possible...not sure how its all works but thats the message that i got. So each directory has identical filenames, but altered objects? if that makes sense...

I think what was suggested is taht you change what directory you take the 2d and 3d objects from...if that would be at all possible...not sure how its all works but thats the message that i got. So each directory has identical filenames, but altered objects? if that makes sense...

202562[/snapback]

Thats what I was suggesting, more or less. I wasn't suggesting any changes to the existing map files, since they are expensive to make (compared to coding), though I am assuming that the map files reference 3D objects defined seperately.

For example: Assume that the map file refers to 'tree1'. When the map is loaded, rather than resolve this to the existing 'tree1', a level of indirection is applied depending on the season/effective-month reported by the server -- a simple 12 element lookup, for example:

1. tree1-winter
  2. tree1-winter
  3. tree1-spring
  4. tree1-spring
  5. tree1 (the original object model)
  6. ...etc

By varying the transitions between the seasons for different trees, the forest will gradually shift between seasons, rather than all-at-once.

The same could be applied to 2D textures, so the ground could shift between (flat) snow, fresh grass, fallen leaves etc. I don't know how the 'deep snow' is handled, or whether it could be fitted into this model.