Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Update TEST

Since we are repackaging the whole thing, I would like to test it before distributing it.

So if you have a broad band connection, please download the TEST from here: http://waiter.dineusonline.com/~dineus/el/...est_install.exe (20 mb)

Please note that this will NOT work after the update, it's just a TEST, as it's name implies. You will have to redownload the whole thing again after the update, so unless you have a BB connection, it's perhaps not worth it.

Normally this should connect to the test server, but if it doesn't edit el.ini and change the port address to 2002 (I forgot if I included that change when I packaged it).

Instructions: Install it in some NEW folder, do NOT voerwrite your EL folder with it. And after the update is done, delete this folder, ok? Unless you want over 80 MB of wasted HDD space.

Let me know if there are any issues with it, and also let me know if it works fine.

Thats what I figured :P (I bet right now that download has.....20 people pulling on it at one time :D) Im at work..should I test it ;)

Edited by Brom

Somebody on Windows just extract it and repackage it in a 7-Zip archive for the linux users. ;)

Edited by crusadingknight

Downloaded ok, extracted fine. Connected to server no problems.

The client looks a million dollars, I thought I was in another world.

Can you change it to default to 640x480 windowed on first run, as it looks horrible fullscreen.

Game runs very smoothly, and the loading bar makes it appear much faster.

I will test more exhaustively later today, but on first impressions you blew my socks off ;)

I will test more exhaustively later today, but on first impressions you blew my socks off :D

194558[/snapback]

really? wow why? what looks so great? what did you notice on first impression?

teh graphics are way better, i love the storage account allthough i find it abit annoying i have to go over an item to see the amount stocked.

the exp gain always appears above your head which is very handy imo

a few things i found

-i tried going into a house on the whitestone map, tavern in lakeside and i couldn't get in

-on IP you got that well near the beam, if you run into it you seem to fall inside it and you are beneath the map

-oh and also i couldn't access KF

PS: i lveo that we can use bones as weapos now! LOL :):D

Edited by ssjgohan

I logged on at VOTD storage, and saw a very pretty deer (ok I reckon it could be a reindeer) walking past. I clicked on the settings button, and was wowed by the options available.

The game as a whole feels a lot more responsive to use, and the scenery appeared a lot clearer.

I felt as if this was an entirely new game based on EL rather than a rehash of the normal client.

I liked the [LabRat @ 1] stuff too, multichannel chat looks great. I gotta ask how I would send to one channel, it could get confusing in non-windowed_chat mode knowing where the message would end up.

I especially liked hitting a deer on the head with a bone, a very funny touch :D

Now I just gotta go find me some flowers and corner the test server HE market :)

Hi,

A very few minutes of testing revealed the following on a newish PM running XP (Media Center Edition) w/ an intel 3d engine.

1) It came up in full-screen as default, and this was very messy in a number of ways- I highly recommend defaulting to 800x600.

2) The new potions (Magic and Crafting) are still not in the encyclopedia.

3) No sound, even though sound works fine on the PC in question.

4) When I entered the magic school, I got several *hundred* "Too Many Sounds" messages in a row.

194586[/snapback]

They're on the right hand side of the window... unless radu forgot to update his encyclopedia?

Edited by crusadingknight

1) It came up in full-screen as default, and this was very messy in a number of ways- I highly recommend defaulting to 800x600.

I like the full-screen default, As we are trying to push for it being a GAME not a chat program. And we need to leave it as the smallest setting defaul just in case someone with a less powerful computer starts up EL and EL crashes due to it being too large. Edit your el.ini before you start or edit your settings in options and select "Save settings"

Im fairly sure it was fixed, It works in mine... (I do not have the above client though)

3) No sound, even though sound works fine on the PC in question.

Known, working on sound issues in the Bugs thread

4) When I entered the magic school, I got several *hundred* "Too Many Sounds" messages in a row.

Known, related to the above #3

Edited by Brom

I like the full-screen default, As we are trying to push for it being a GAME not a chat program. And we need to leave it as the smallest setting defaul just in case someone with a less powerful computer starts up EL and EL crashes due to it being too large. Edit your el.ini before you start or edit your settings in options and select "Save settings"

Im fairly sure it was fixed, It works in mine... (I do not have the above client though)

Nobody should have to edit an ini file "before they start". It didn't simply come up in full screen- it was a mess! The bottom menu bar was inaccessible, etc- the only way I made sense of it was because I'm an experienced player. That is NOT the way to make a good impression on a new player. Also- since a means of exiting is also not obvious- the full screen mode was more obnoxious than anything else, on my machine when I started it up.

I agree that playing in full screen is preferable in general- I don't think that is for a brand new player. MHO.

A few new onservations:

1) Bones show up in weapons cat on storage interface. Is there something I don't know? I should have tried wacking a rabbit with a bone, perhaps.

2) Storage has no dot on VOTD overhead map.

3) I think that this is old, but when you try to harv veggies before your lvl is high enough to succeed, you get the message "You started to harvest vegetables", but then nothing happens. That is highly confusing to a noob.

4) Honestly- the new pots do NOT show up in my encyclopedia.

On the other hand-

1) Storage interface: Rah!

2) New 3d rendering: Rah! Rah!

3) Config interface: Rah! Rah! Rah!

4) General Impression: Rah! Rah! Rah! Rah!

The bottom menu bar was inaccessible

194596[/snapback]

For me:

1st time when trying to create a character, the four buttons on the bottom didn't show up.

1st time trying to enter the market channel crashed the client.

And I agree on having windowed mode as default.

FWIW:

My test server character had a spare pickpoint so I went to see the Wraith. I got a Will attribute and my max MP went from about 40 to 80. (Phys is 12, Will is now 5, all the other basic attribs are 4.)

If MPs increase this quickly now, I'm afraid to know why. (Grin)

Dave

Will someone please zip up the maps and post them? Those are the files I need more than anything else for linux.

Gee... I didn't know that you will bitch so much about no icons at the bottom and stuff. FFS people, get better monitors, that's your problem :P

Anyway, yeah, I will make the default to 800x600 windowed. And it WAS windowed, what I gave you, no?

There are many bugs regarding the maps, and they will be fixed until the update.

There was a bug where pressing the drop all button would either disconnect you or crash the client. That was fixed too.

Unfortunately, there are a few more nasty bugs, such as random client crashes and freezes (particulary in the Map menu)...