Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

Are IP addresses confidential?

Learner you are doing some illegal stuff here

comparing Ip's from the mssg's on enyo's site to compare em with players from EL to see who posted what on enyo's site.

Ip's is confidential info and it IS illegal to hand em out.

193862[/snapback]

I am afraid to say that anyone with access to your IP address from forum records can at their own discretion transfer that information to a third party without your consent or knowledge.

Cyber Law - Lawyers.com

I don't know the story behind Learner's actions apart from the little I can glean from the posts, but if an administrator of another forum gave him the IP addresses he could quite easily check them against player IP logs. Whether this is morally ethical is a different question entirely, and one I will not be drawn into at this point.

nothing illegal in it,

1) compagny can ask provider all enter and go out using any IP

2) IP adress is in free domain, no IP is confidential exept those in class E.

Plus when you clicked that little I agree box at froum registration, you gave the admins permission to use information pertaining to the forum. (aka they can use your ip for whatever they see fit)

There is a certain thing, that the rights you agree to when you sign up to a website are the only rights you technically have, except perchance certain rights that certain governments have imposed - though unless you and the provider are in the same jurisdiction (whether national or local law), it's really tough to pursue these claims.

Also, if your IP or other personal information is evidence of your commission of a crime, and they are asked for it as evidence in legal action against you, it's mandatory they release it, or they could be prosecuted as well.

Simply put, if you have any question about your rights somewhere, check out the site, and if you still have questions about your rights, don't post.

I must post here, because i talked to Hardcore earlier, he asked me if IP's are confidential and i answered yes.

What i meant is that the IP in this game is confidential, no player can get the IP of another player and try to hack his computer and such.

I did not mean that an IP is confidential at all, like some of you posted above.

Sorry, if i caused confusion.

Piper

Your IP is freely available to anyone who can be bothered to obtain it. There is no 'confidentiality' or 'privacy' here, I can run various commands while im talking to you on MSN, ICQ (which gives the IP anyway) or any other IM client and it wouldn't be illegal.