Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kendai

New computer, but can't access the game

I am having trouble logging in as my character on my newly-downloaded game. I have a brand new Compaq Presario computer with Windows XP on it. I am connected to the Internet using a LAN cable through the university network at my university. I downloaded the game with no problems, saving it to the folder "Program Files", just like on my old computer. When I opened up the game, it went through the usual reading of the rules before I can log in, and it connected to the Internet with no problem.

However when I put in my username and password and click "log in", the game experiences a "Developed using the Dev-C++ IDE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." error. If anyone can help me figure out what I need to do in order to access the game, I would appreciate it greatly. :D I am sorry for the lack of information I have shown here, and if you could tell me how to access more specific details about the error, that would be most helpful. Thank you for your time.

showing your error log would be helpful

in your EL dictoray

Edited by cho-yun

Okay, I looked and all I found in the error_log was the following:

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle5.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle6.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle7.bmp

Could that be affecting my logging in though?

Edit: o.O I just tried it now and it worked without a hitch... weird... however, it does say (contrary to what would happen on my old computer) that while it was trying to connect to the server, "Couldn't find the GL_*_point_sprite extension, not using it". Maybe that's what the error log is referring to. This is crazy ;)

Edit 2: Okay, something's seriously messed up now o.O

messedup1we.th.jpg

Part of the roof's missing... and trees look weird... someone tell me what's going on! lol this is a brand new computer, I don't understand this...

Edit 3: I downloaded the Diablo II demo, to double check if it was my computer or not. It ran perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever. If something is at fault here, it is either within EL itself or the way I downloaded it :P I will try uninstalling and reinstalling EL next, to see if that would amend the situation.

Edited by Kendai

Okay, I looked and all I found in the error_log was the following:

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle5.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle6.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle7.bmp

Could that be affecting my logging in though?

189001[/snapback]

I had problems with these before, but never noticed them until I tried CVS. Try turning off point particles in your el.ini file, and let me know if this works. This worked for me for some reason.

Well, I tried it, but no change in error message as the game was connecting to the server. Also, I am unable to log in (again). I don't however believe that it had to do with changing the point particles. I had tried to log in before reading the forum again, and I was unable to log in.

... tomorrow I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, it's bedtime now...

My graphics card really shouldn't be the problem, as this is a brand new computer. In fact, I have downloaded the Diablo II demo (which frankly has better graphics than EL, sorry to say), and it worked perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling EL. Although my FPS is better (although I get an FPS of 4 in VOTD storage), parts of roofs and the lower halves of trees are missing. If I go into buildings, the floor is completely gone. Of course, I was having these exact same problems before...

If there is a way to check what kind of graphics card I have, I'd appreciate the help, thank you. Although as I've said, it really doesn't appear to be the problem, but rather the game itself...

My graphics card really shouldn't be the problem, as this is a brand new computer. In fact, I have downloaded the Diablo II demo (which frankly has better graphics than EL, sorry to say), and it worked perfectly fine, no problems whatsoever.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling EL. Although my FPS is better (although I get an FPS of 4 in VOTD storage), parts of roofs and the lower halves of trees are missing. If I go into buildings, the floor is completely gone. Of course, I was having these exact same problems before...

If there is a way to check what kind of graphics card I have, I'd appreciate the help, thank you. Although as I've said, it really doesn't appear to be the problem, but rather the game itself...

189143[/snapback]

Dont rule out your video card or drivers. For various reasons ATI boards have a lot more problems with EL then anyone else.

Make sure you have the newest drivers (most systems don't ship with new ones) and disable the nice extras like particles, shadows, reflections, etc to see if it start. Then it if works, turn them back on one at a time.

might be something missing

A texture maybe

I've turned off everything I can, and the FPS has increased slightly, but I still see half-bald trees and floating chimneys lol

How do I check which drivers I have? According to the ads on the front of my computer (> <), I have a 3400+ AMD Athlon Processor, with 512 MB of memory and a 200 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Windows XP too, if that helps lol

As for the texture, I don't understand why it would be missing, if I downloaded everything correctly (aka the same way I downloaded it on my old computer).

Checking your video card:

In WinXP/2K, and I think in 95/98/ME (but wouldn't swear to it), go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel. Open the System window, click the Hardware tab, and then the Device Manager button. Then, look under something like "video cards" or "display adapters" or some other wierd name like that. That will tell you what you have, and double-clicking on that will tell you how old the drivers are.

Okay, under "Display Adapters", it went to a driver called SiS 760. I double-clicked on it, and the driver date on it was April 20, 2005. Surely this is new enough to handle EL? My old computer ran EL perfectly fine, and it was at least four years old.

Perhaps it's something wrong with the Compaq Presario series...? If so, I demand a refund! lol I doubt I can return it, my parents would kill me if the only reason I say to return my computer would be because I can't play EL (or well, when I actually can log in) on it... ^.^;;

Alright, your first mistake - Comcrap (nothing personal, I just hate Compaq. All my friends that have had Compaqs have had nothing but trouble with them).

After doing a Google search, after realizing that I had no clue what an SiS 760 was, it appeared to me to be an integrated video chip - that is, on the motherboard. Hmm... I'll let the tech qeniuses figure out this one; my only solution would be get a different video card.

On a side note, where I found out about this, Tom's Hardware Guide, your card is more or less for work and document work, not gaming... don't feel bad, both of the computers I use have cards in the same category, but at least I've been able to play EL with marginal quality (my shadows have never worked; my card is simply too old).

Wish I had a solution for you.

Well, looks like I'll be stuck with this. I just hope that it won't interfere with normal gameplay. Doors to storage and stuff (like in Nordcarn and Tarsengaard) are missing, but at least the door icon shows up and it still lets me in lol. See you all in game and don't mind my low FPS :P

I spent endless hours a couple of days ago, trying to get a SiS661FX card (about the same as the one you are using..) to work with Conquer Online and Eternal Lands... Thing is, that card had No built-in OpenGL support what-so-ever and it wouldnt supprise me if yours doesnt either. The SiS cards are simply a way for the companies to "seemingly" sell you a cheap computer - but what you really miss out on is the GFX adaptor, and thats the vital part if you wanna play a new game.

Anyhow, i never got that card to display as much as a particle in 3d, had to replace it (well its integrated.. so not really replace) with another card.. anything is better than that card, for that computer i'd recommend a Radeon 9800pro or better (x700pro / x800pro/xt ?) cheers :)

Alright, your first mistake - Comcrap (nothing personal, I just hate Compaq.  All my friends that have had Compaqs have had nothing but trouble with them).

189210[/snapback]

What's wrong with Compaqs? my old computer (4 year old Compaq) works fine and can play EL and stuff, mainly it's just limited by it's GeForce 2, lol.

Heya Kendai - been missing ya in game :P Entirely agree with what Tropicano said - get yourself a $50-90 Radeon graphics card, beguile some computer friend to install it for you and you should be fine :)

$50-90, eh? Time for me to get a job here at college then... lol ^.^;;

Thanks for the advice all, I just wish I had known this BEFORE my parents bought the computer...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this