Eternal Lands Official Forums
twistedlove8

I cant get into EL

I have a Windows XP computer and any time i try to start EL im able to sign in but then the screen turns white and i get a message that says

Developed using the Dev-C++ IDE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

then if i click "Debug" "Dont send error" or "Send error" i cant play. i tried restarting the computer but that doesnt work...i dont know if its my computer or if i have to reinstall it ;) . Also im not very good at all these computer terms ive been seeing on here.. so i dont know if i gave enough information for anyone to help me.

Try to uninstall the game and re-install a fresh copy of the game that can be downloaded at www.eternal-lands.com.

You might also want to update your graphics drivers (look for the drivers at your manufacturer's home page, or call support from where you bought the computer)

The main problems are (usually) either graphical or game client related.

Edited by Derin

Also, make sure you installed from the full version, not just the update. If you only installed the update you'll have these sorts of problems.

do i download both the full and update?

170642[/snapback]

Just the full version. The update is only for people who had the previous full version.

how do i update my graphics drive? and how do i check to see what drive i currently have? 

:rolleyes:  sorry for all the obvious questions im not good at computers

170638[/snapback]

If you don't know this I suggest you call the ppl who sold you your computer, they should know.

:rolleyes:  sorry for all the obvious questions im not good at computers

170638[/snapback]

hehe, don't worry,

i'm probably as bad with computers as you are :D

i don't know beta from gega from whatever terms people talk about :(

-kat

Actually, I have had this problem myself now that I've switched from XP SP1 to SP2.

However, it's very rare that this message pops up for me. Maybe... once every few days. I'm forced to stop playing and re-open EL (the error closes it out, it's the same message).

It does the exact same thing on my laptop, which also runs SP2. It never did it before on SP1a. ^_^;

Anyways, I was just doing to share that since this error is neither related to my graphics card or my client for me =S

Microsoft service packs, they are updates that change major crucial security issues. To update your graphics driver first go to the start menu. then follow these steps.

1. Click the control Panel Button

2. Open The Display menu. (should be a computer monitor with brush on it)

3. Once open, click the settings tab.

4. On the settings there should be an "Advanced" button, click it.

5. Now depending on which graphics card you have there wil be either a ati or nvidea tab click the tab and write down your card name and number ( for example ati Radeon 9800, or Nvidia Geforce fx 5500).

6. Now that you have this information, open your web browser and go to the homepage of your card. I am assuming you are using an Nvidia or Ati card, if so here are the driver update pages for each.

-Nvidia

-ATI

Using the info you wrote down should help you find the drivers for your card. Hope that helps.

Edited by scarab2k

* i uninstalled and reinstalled it adn it STILL doesnt work. i get the same message error.

*scarab2k..i followed your directions and i cant find either of the cards that u mentioned. i found direct x and thts it.

*is it that maybe my computer cant take it?

*but isnt there other windows xp users who had no problems with playing?

* i uninstalled and reinstalled it adn it STILL doesnt work. i get the same message error.

*scarab2k..i followed your directions and i cant find either of the cards that u mentioned. i found direct x and thts it.

*is it that maybe my computer cant take it?

*but isnt there other windows xp users who had no problems with playing?

In this case you may only have a video card, but no graphics accelerator. So try the following.

1. Open Start Menu

2. Open My Computer

3. Go to the el directory (probably in C then Program Files, Eternal Lands).

4. Now you should see a file called El.INI (IMPORTANT: Copy and paste this file into another folder in case you screw up!)

5. Open it and do the following

a: Change #poor_man = 0 to #poor_man = 1

The other thing is to MAKE SURE you have the windows version of the client. On the download page it should be these two buttons I have highlighted in the picture.

windows3rx.jpg

Yes it is true that many of the users are windows xp users, really when it comes down to it, you may just have encountered a quircky bug. Try downloading the tc client as well and seeing if maybe you cannot play with it. (keep all the default client files though, the tc still uses them) You can find the tc client HERE. <-- thats a direct link to the install file.

DirectX is NOT a card. EL does not use DirectX. You need to know your graphics card.

Does it have a thing that says "ATi" on the lower right-hand corner of the screen? If so, go to "ATi", under customer service, and it's hard to navigate, so please be patient with it.

If not, go to Nvidia.com, under drivers, click the one for windows, and install it.

DirectX is NOT a card. EL does not use DirectX. You need to know your graphics card.

Does it have a thing that says "ATi" on the lower right-hand corner of the screen? If so, go to "ATi", under customer service, and it's hard to navigate, so please be patient with it.

If not, go to Nvidia.com, under drivers, click the one for windows, and install it.

171009[/snapback]

erm. there's a lot more to graphics cards than ati and nvidia

Freeone please read the whole topic, he already said he could not find his card/ On top of that stop being so mean, he said that he knew little about computers. :P

now its worse..i reinstalled it again and now when i run it it doesnt work. i get an outline of the program but its completely see thru, like i can see my desktop background and the icons behind it.

<i tried to insert the screen shot here but i cant>

i downloaded the tc client and changed #poor_man = 0 to #poor_man = 1 but it doesnt help. :P

p.s. i really appreciate everyone that are helping me!

Well... teh huh. I think you may have an onboard... I was able to play with mine, but it was horrible when I did.

In the folder you installed eternal lands to, there should be a file called "error_log". It's a text file. Please open it and paste what's in it here. To cover some remote chances, check to see if the "languages" folder is in the folder you installed eternal lands to. By default, EL installs to C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands on windows.

To post a screenshot on these forums, you can't just put a link from your computer. You'd have to put it on a hosting site, like photobucket or imageshack. You'd have to create an account for them, but it's free.

Actually, there are quite a few girls who play this game..

Scarab: Yes, I have been reading every post in here.

ttlanhil: The only cards I know of that are actual cards are manufactured by ATi or Nvidia. There's a lot of other companies that make onboards, I'm sure.

Edited by freeone3000

i downloaded the tc client and changed #poor_man = 0 to #poor_man = 1 but it doesnt help. :D

p.s. i really appreciate everyone that are helping me!

171331[/snapback]

If you are using the TC client, please direct your questions to their forum. This Help Me section is for the official game client only.

<B>freeone3000</B>: here is what was in the "error_log" file

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle5.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle6.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle7.bmp

<B>freeone3000</B>: here is what was in the "error_log" file

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/fontv.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle5.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle6.bmp

Error: Problems loading texture: ./textures/particle7.bmp

171517[/snapback]

ahh. go into el.ini and turn off either mipmaps or point_particles. if it dun fix it, turn off the other one (I forget which is the culprit)

the option requires those image files, yet they're not included in the client yet

ahh. go into el.ini and turn off either mipmaps or point_particles. if it dun fix it, turn off the other one (I forget which is the culprit)

the option requires those image files, yet they're not included in the client yet

171566[/snapback]

point_particles. I had a similar problem with both the CVS (ttlanhil's compilation) and the TC clients. I couldn't get either to even load until I turned off point_particles.

Hope that works for ya.

point_particles.  I had a similar problem with both the CVS (ttlanhil's compilation) and the TC clients.  I couldn't get either to even load until I turned off point_particles.

Hope that works for ya.

171579[/snapback]

right, yes. once those files are available we should be able to use point particles again.

for those who want the details, the client will be checking to see if those files exist when it loads. as it can't find them, it will produce an error and stop

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.