Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Infamous

name tags

hey i came up with an idea that has something to do with the nametags (nametags of animals/monsters not of players)

i suggest to make different colours of nametags for animals/monsters depending on your stats.

for example when you just start rabbits are easy to kill but beavers and rabbits aren't.

how can a newbie know this???

simply make the animals/monsters name tag green when they are easy to beat

and yellow/orange and red when they are harder to beat.

green=easy to beat.

yellow=easy to beat but will do some damage

orange=you can do some damage but you can be killed by the animal/monster

red=you will surely get pwned :o

of course the colours change depending on your stats so if you just started you see a fox is out of your league but as you get stronger the colour of the fox name changes and you know you can beat it now.

I think the idea is good, but just changing the colour may not be enough, most newbies wouldn't know what that means either. maybe some icon at the end of the name with a skull+crossbones for really dangerous stuff? :o

although... learning how tough critters are and judging for yourself if you can kill it is a decent skill in the game. maybe this should only work on low level critters, or only on IP, or while skills < 20... something. enough that it's only a crutch while they learn a bit about EL, and go back to having people need to analyse and test before taking on monsters

One concern I have is that you'll get n00bs complaining that either everything is too tough, or they died but the color said it was safe to attack.

When they start a rabbit is too tough for them until they start to level up a little bit more. As for estimating if they can beat an animal or not, there are lots of factors and luck, not just stats. For example, if the n00b has 1 hp, he better not attack anything while a different n00b in full EQ can fight more things safely.

This was brought up before but was rejected both because of learner's reasons and because there needs to be some challenge and getting players to think for themselves.

Maybe it would be better to have an NPC (a retired fighter) that can tell you these things based on your current levels and stats.

But as learner said, there are a lot of factors to consider; armor, books, perks, weaponry, access to healing etc.

So there have to be some kind of 'zero-level' or base when determining these things.

Question is: what would that base be?

hey i came up with an idea that has something to do with the nametags (nametags of animals/monsters not of players)

i suggest to make different colours of nametags for animals/monsters depending on your stats.

168695[/snapback]

N00bz can't now everything as they are n00bz. Today they ask if they are good enough to pwn a wolf, a goblin and so on, if there were colourful nametags, they would ask what those colours mean.

I say, don't do everything for n00bz. Let them explore and learn on their own mistakes.

yes they can't know what the colours mean but when you just start you have something called hints till oa 9 so maybe display it there?

and it's kinda irritating that n00bs pm you with "what should i fight?" "can i kill a deer yet?" etc.

thsi is in many mmorpgs but there you have only 1 level

and not a/d/p/c .. so i think its hard to inplent!

Well I say it would be ok for newbies, so if your under level 10 it tells you (so its very easy to work out) and it doesn't need to take aroum and perks into account because newbies dont really have them, just take there a/d/p/c to work out if they can take them which shouldn't be to hard because they wont be able to kill anything harder than a deer, and it is very easy to tell which stats they can kill rabbits, rats, beavers and deers on. It would be a bit harder to work with health to, so maybe you could just tell the newbies it doesn't take into conceration your health. but then again is ll of this really worth it :S

Example:

Player of a/d/p/c 10/10/6/6. What would he see if:

- He has 1 Health?

- He has 1 Health, but 30 BR's?

- He is wearing full plate and a serp?

- He is wearing leather armor but no weapon?

- He has a blessing from attack or defence god?

- He has att/def/phys/coord potions?

- (for higher levels, if he has read the right book)

- He has the mirror skin/body piercing/I glow in the dark, etc. perks/cloaks?

- He has any or all of the above.

More importantly, what happens if he takes off and puts back on the equip? Do the tags change colour?

If we only calculate based of a/d/p/c, does that really provide accurate information?

-Lyn-

Edited by Lyanna

for example when you just start rabbits are easy to kill but beavers and rabbits aren't.

how can a newbie know this???

simply make the animals/monsters name tag green when they are easy to beat

and yellow/orange and red when they are harder to beat.

green=easy to beat.

yellow=easy to beat but will do some damage

orange=you can do some damage but you can be killed by the animal/monster

red=you will surely get pwned :ph34r:

of course the colours change depending on your stats so if you just started you see a fox is out of your league but as you get stronger the colour of the fox name changes and you know you can beat it now.

168695[/snapback]

bye change u get this idea from lineage2 cause its the exact same there pretty much

why dont we all wear helmets while playing as to not get hurt by accident. And wear little masks to protect ourselfs from germs. :ph34r:

why all of a sudden a need for such a thing....we were all noobs once and we managed. they have a noob help channel what else do you need. take the training wheels off of your bike already kid. <_<

yes they can't know what the colours mean but when you just start you have something called hints till oa 9 so maybe display it there?

and it's kinda irritating that n00bs pm you with "what should i fight?" "can i kill a deer yet?" etc.

168744[/snapback]

Thats what n00bz are for, to ask questions.

As Shivar said, this is a feature of many MMORPGs, but usually the don't have that many factors, skills and other things related to fighting. So it would be really hard to get a formula that takes care of all these variables.

I don't think it's too hard for new players to find out what they can kill or not. Usually they will attack a beaver or a rabbit the first time they try to fight. They will notice that it's harder to kill a beaver, than to kill a rabbit. And they will soon learn that by using their skills, they will get better.

I think the learning curve is pretty fast. Because especially in the beginning it's all based on common sense. I mean who would attack a bear if he has problems killing a rat? I don't think many people would do that. And if they do, they will regret soon.

:unsure: kl4Uz

Its true, it would be helpful, when you dont attack allot, or for the noobs., but it would be a sign of lazzieness.. not knowing when to learn about the animal/ monster. And why would they want to attack it if they have no purpose killing it other then to gain exp...