Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JaneMuffin

Chating Xp

Okay hear me out before you shoot me :P

Wouldn't it be cool if we could get XP for chatting?

Maybe that is how the Charm could work!

Like for ever 1 million words you type you get 1 charm point!!

It would be so very awesome!

Or even if not for charm maybe a different skill altogether.

Something like a People Skill :P

This would be way cool I think for the people who hand in channel on all day and help out or even people like me who starts chatting just to pass the time while mining, then total forgets to mine :P

I have not given it much though as the idea just struck me, but maybe someone else could take this idea and add more to it :D

JaneMuffin

If it gave any benefit to the player, people would spam just to raise it. :S ..Even if it didn't, they'd spam just to raise it. 0o

If it gave any benefit to the player, people would spam just to raise it. :S ..Even if it didn't, they'd spam just to raise it. 0o

162701[/snapback]

Exactly.

on a slightly different tack, how about bartering with NPCs, and you get XP when you win a good price? it'd be good to also be able to bargain with bots, but that'd be really hard to set up. bargaining with players already happens :D

162701[/snapback]

Like I said I had not really thought about it, but there is a way to solve this problem. First of all the only benifit should be the right to brag that you are the # 1 Chit Chatter in EL :D and secondly, (Mind you I dont program so I am not sure if this is even possible) Using the same word over and over again would stop counting XP. Or it could be like the harvesting XP and you can only get so much ever hour :lol:

Could you imagine a top 50 list for chatting? Man the competition would be hot, people would never sleep again!! :lol:

JaneMuffin

Exactly.

162703[/snapback]

They already spam forums and get the benifits.

Cyclops

Group: Members

Member No.: 4,017

<_<

JaneMuffin

What does chatting with an NPC have to do with Bots? Bots are PLAYER RUN an have no connection to the game other then what a normal player does. Now, if a bot developer decides to put something into their specific bot, they could track what you do with them etc.

Now, interacting with an NPC in anyway affecting things falls into a more general categori, Karma.

Now, interacting with an NPC in anyway affecting things falls into a more general categori, Karma.

162822[/snapback]

Is there ever going to be something implemented to do with Karma? I have heard some rumors that it will but then again I have also heard that its just a rumor spread by Wandering Fool.

JaneMuffin

Is there ever going to be something implemented to do with Karma?  I have heard some rumors that it will but then again I have also heard that its just a rumor spread by Wandering Fool. 

JaneMuffin

162829[/snapback]

Yup, he only tells you where the joker is if your karma is 5 or above... it's nothing official, though, AFAIK

They already spam forums and get the benifits.

<_<

JaneMuffin

162821[/snapback]

6.6 posts a day.. if that.

Go here: Posting Stats

Thanks.

Let's go ahead and introduce "Spamming" as a skill. ;)

Let's go ahead and introduce "Spamming" as a skill.  ;)

162866[/snapback]

So you think if there was a way to block spammers from getting XP, is it a good idea?

JaneMuffin

6.6 posts a day.. if that.

Go here:  Posting Stats

Thanks.

Let's go ahead and introduce "Spamming" as a skill.  ;)

162866[/snapback]

Ack, just because I post a lot, it don't mean I spam... (currently 2nd on the daily list posted)

Ack, just because I post a lot, it don't mean I spam... (currently 2nd on the daily list posted)

162874[/snapback]

Hah now I am second and you are first ;) Gratz Fellow Spammer :o

J/k :P

(prolly this post is gonna make me first) :P Yay I win!!!

OKay seriously back on topic:

Is there a way to prevent spammers from getting the XP? Maybe limiting the chatting xp like it is with harvesting?

It would be really great, it could also be used to show whos on the most (active). And thats great too :)

JaneMuffin

the same word over and over again would stop counting XP.

162819[/snapback]

People would spam stuff like

#@4rewE

Ff

DSsf

sf

FSSF

sf

dG

GS

SGE

g4TG

G%H

EFFSEFESSF

Then we'd say make it recognizable words only..I don't think making a dictionary for the server to check each word is something anyone has time for, or would be willing to do. xD

People would spam stuff like

#@4rewE

Ff

DSsf

sf

FSSF

sf

dG

GS

SGE

g4TG

G%H

EFFSEFESSF

Then we'd say make it recognizable words only..I don't think making a dictionary for the server to check each word is something anyone has time for, or would be willing to do. xD

163117[/snapback]

even if a dictionary was used, then they'll just past int sentences

even if a dictionary was used, then they'll just past int sentences

163119[/snapback]

yes, force words to come from a dictionary, and they'll have copy'n'paste from a dictionary. Force it to be able to go through a grammar checker to make sure it's not random words, and they'll copy lines from random websites.

it just won't work, the amount of work to make the computer smart enough can be much better applied :)

Edited by ttlanhil

a chatting guild would be awesome, but if it existed people would spend all day on a random channel spamming =\

[edit] hey, im on the top 10 posters list today xD

Edited by Alderan

Okay how about the only time the XP gets counted is in channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 8 and GM or guild chat?

That way there are mods there who can report spammers? And as for GM and guild channels well they have their own authorities to deal with spammers :)

JaneMuffin

I don't like the idea. Saying a lot, doesn't mean you contribute to the gameplay by that.

It can be spam or just pure offtopic. It's not gameplay.

I find the idea interesting, but it would be really difficult to implement. I wouild rather go in way ttlanhil proposed. Eg. Morrowind - but it's only crpg, very good, but only npcs there.

Actually, the idea came from the Quest for Glory series (first one was also called hero quest, if you only know that name)

there were many stats/skills, that went from 0-100 for first game, continuing to 0-400 for fourth, and for the final fifth went a bit further to 0-650 or so

this had stuff like strength, magic, intelligence, vitality, weapon use, throwing, climbing, stealth, pick locks, and so forth from the start(waaay back in VGA days, mid 80s, I think)

as they went though (you could use characters from previous games) there were more skills added, like communication. this skill was used when bargaining with shopkeepers, and increased (very slightly) each time you talked to someone.

That's where this idea came from ;)

(I think the QfG games were some of the best made, and if you know what my name means, you'll probably also guess I'm a fan of total annihilation ;) who gets it?)

anyway, back to topic, using this system you'd probably only get 1XP for each time you click on a conversation item.

This sounds like it'd be very hard to advance in the skill, but really, it isn't.

going back to QfG examples, some skills (like communication) you could put an eggtimer or any other heavy enough object on the <enter> key and go for a walk... come back and it'd be night time, but your skill would be maxed out.

do it in EL, and you'll have a lot of people using an autoclicker while AFK, or, at least, AFW*

It'd be nice to have this as part of a possible barter system or something, but the work to try to stamp out abuse of it would be far greater spent somewhere else.

I just don't think the payoff is there.

And if the system doesn't have any use other than a top50 type setup, you'll get most people not caring, and a few trying to max it out, either copy'n'paste in channel/local or autoclicking NPCs

* Away From Window: still at the computer, but doing other things; forums, email, homework, whatever