Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Estragon

Social interaction

Guest Estragon

I am new to EL (1st week), but since I did not find any related topic here, I hope you dont mind :huh:

Sometimes I wish people would chat not just for financial/business reasons. So here are just 3 ideas how to bring people to places (and together). The ideas would bring more meaning/importance to various buildings/locations too.

1) Make people heal faster in taverns and near fireplaces (ppl need to sit to benefit from it).

2) In a library research-time is 2/3. 1/2 or even 1/3 (balance?) of the research-time outside, need to sit.

3) Manufacture takes less time indoors (maybe even special places with tools hanging on the walls, an anvil, etc), need to sit down...

I guess there are more things that could be done, but that way people would go to specific places and meet there ... they might end up talking to each other :)

Just some ideas -Ciao- Estragon

ahem I think this post might be better off in the suggestions forum, but however you could just try talking to ppl first, there is usually ppl sitting around the fire on IP or try crystal caves in DP where you will find lots of ppl just sitting and mining.

as for me Iam usually at the silver B)

"Make people heal faster in taverns and near fireplaces (ppl need to sit to benefit from it)."

:( I hereby dub you the smartest, coolest, awesomest newbie with one post. That's a great idea... It'd be a way to encourage players to sit in a tavern... It's such a shame taverns are pretty much ignored, (other than stop in, sell vegetables, leave for something else). Very non-RPGlike.

B) Your third idea is probably going to be implemented, in a way, in a future release. Morelike you'll have to be around certain stationary tools to manu/craft/alch/etc

B) As for talking to people, you should join a guild where the players have similar interests as you. LNX accepts people who talk about Linux. I remember CIA was a good newbie guild with lots of nontopic chat inguild. Or, my guild, VulF, is centered toward crafters, alchs, manu, potionmakers, etc, and we're a friendly bunch. (PM me if you'd like to join)

1.Great idea-hope it gets implemented!

2.Also good,but i hate the idea to sit to research.

3.Good idea also but it's better to just increase the chance ppl get to manu stuff-roughly 20% more than standing

dont tell me you're a noob, your ideas are too good!

1. awesome

2. good, but i'd never do it, sitting just to research doesnt sound appealing

3. good

now i'm expecting you to end world hunger, get a start on it! :lol:

I highly doubt this is your first week playing for 2 reasons...

1)

Overall: 34/34

Attack: 21/21

Defense: 21/21

Magic: 9/9

Harvest: 30/30

Manufacture: 14/14

Alchemy: 22/22

2) All your suggestions are GREAT! We really need a good reason to sit in a tavern or at a campfire.

Maybe even at night, in most maps, you get some sort of penalty if you're not at a campfire or some sort of benifit if you are...

Guest Estragon
I highly doubt this is your first week playing for 2 reasons...

1)

Overall:    34/34

Thanks, but at the time of posting I was just 7 days playing (*a lot* of course / day, each day in that week) :)

A lot of helpfull ppl told me where to go, what to do, etc .. one dwarf even gave me full equipment for free after I lost all the important things from death-bag (jumped by some ***). No names, but I'll never forget :)

That way its easy to enjoy the game, thx to all those friendly players :D

Edited by Estragon

The ideas may work for getting people into the taverns, but they will not improve social interactions. Some people simply don't like being social, and trying to force them will only increase the amount of spam.

Back in the old days, there were always people chatting at the Isla Prima fire, but it seems by now there are too many spammers, new players arriving, people arriving from the underworld or doing #beam me up, that it is more like a railway station than a place to chat.

Back in the old days, there were always people chatting at the Isla Prima fire, but it seems by now there are too many spammers, new players arriving, people arriving from the underworld or doing #beam me up, that it is more like a railway station than a place to chat.

Ok, I will give you that it is sort of a railway station, but people do chat while they are there, mainly the new people, asking for advice and such, and just last night, I was there and doing some summoning letting everyone know that I was going to release some animals so that they could up their attack and defense.

So in some ways, it has become a place where you can go and learn some new things about the game, even quicker than going through the quests of the Tutorial NPC, only without the rewards.

MasterWolverine

The ideas may work for getting people into the taverns, but they will not improve social interactions. Some people simply don't like being social, and trying to force them will only increase the amount of spam.

People still do chat like that at beam. But there are significantly more players and there are just MORE places people talk.

VoTD storage.

KF

Nordcarn storage

Diamond mines

Raven

.....need I say more?

That's part of the reason... You can't have a serious discussion when every three seconds there's someone asking how to eat or spamming PLZ HEAL ME.

That's part of the reason... You can't have a serious discussion when every three seconds there's someone asking how to eat or spamming PLZ HEAL ME.

you forgot:

"i need stuff!!11!!!1

gimme stuff!!1"

:P

I agree, but perhaps its just a matter of picking the right place?

Diamon mine is ok, no spammers (because of gargs; spammers are usually below the levels required to kill them)

VoTD - I take your point :P

KF - Clean. People die there if they spam.

Nordcarn Storage - usually ok, im there a lot so it should be so bad :P

Raven - Again, I take your point :D

I think you just need to pick a decent place to talk, thats all :D

I think it could be a bit 2 crowded in the taverns and so on, but that might just be me!

Edited by Entris

I love the tavern idea.

When i get tired of harvesting or making whatever i'm making, i often just wander into a tavern to have a sit down and a chat. i then immediately walk back out again as there is never, ever, anyone in there, in any tavern anywhere. I usually end up at the IP campfire listening to an NH patiently explain to newbies that you cant eat bones, and they cant have a free sword. Market channel has more offtopic chat than any tavern as far as i can tell. It would be great to have a reason to sit in there.

Why not make ale drinkable too :P

Back in the old days we sat in the tavern making/drinking combat potions too ;)

Got to know a lot of players that way. Loads of chat (4 potion levels worth)

I hope thisidea doesn't get lost. I think it's an important one and we should discuss ist.

I remember another suggestion about being able to give another player a drink or being able to have dinner together or something like that.

And the idea about the minigames in taverns.

well, since the thread necromancy already happened, I'll put in my thoughts.

bonus to research/heal time when sitting or in certain places... you'll get people going AFK there. crowding the area, and not playing while there

drinking alkeymahole in the pubs would be good though, maybe an option to rent a room (which would assist healing and maybe research, buy you have to pay)

stuff like minigames would be good there, even things done elsewhere, but started in a pub. make them a central point in many activities

I never thought about a lot of this stuff before. ^^ I know that I can never find people in any tavern unless it's in WS and IP trying to do the first newbie quest.

I rarely see people at any campfire other than the IP campfire, either. A couple people around the beam have mentioned healing faster around the campfire would be neat ^_^

If I remember correctly, there was some work being done about being able to define areas in that way (as having special effects like accelerated healing, I mean), but I'm not sure what happened to it.

And if you want minigames, design them yourself. :ph34r: Gamble is a good beginning - the MoonShadow tavern in VoTD is now slightly more popular. Maybe you guys can think of some other bot-based games that would be fun. :P

-Lyn-

Trivia games are always popular. We have them in channels, why not in a tavern with local chat instead?

Trivia games are always popular.  We have them in channels, why not in a tavern with local chat instead?

168952[/snapback]

Because you can't do anything while you're sitting there in a tavern. I doubt a trivia game would be popular unless prizes were involved.