Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aerowind

HELP ME FAST (LINUX)

is linux better than windows?

that depends on the distribution of linux you are using and what you want to use you're computer for

I'm using Gentoo Linux and when properly configured, i think it is much much better then Windows XP for instance

some of my friends (mostly people who are studying computer science) accualy still prefer windows ... :unsure:

it's realy up to you if you think it is better or not

RIght now I'm at home and as you can probably guess My internet is working.

The problem... Comcast (my internet provider) was down from 8-10 PM EST and that's about the time Linux was completely installed.

Now the question how the hell do I install things in linux??

The problem... Comcast (my internet provider) was down from 8-10 PM EST and that's about the time Linux was completely installed.

LOL

Oh well, good that it works now.

Now the question how the hell do I install things in linux??

Personally, I usually use the rpm command from a console window, but I'm pretty sure Redhat has a graphical program installer for RPM files. Maybe you should hunt for it in your menus. What are you trying to install?

FireFox version. 1.0

Eternal Lands for Linux

Shockwave Player

WARNING: I do most thing from a tet console.

FireFox version. 1.0

I assume you downloaded Firefo from the Mozilla web site. In that case, open a terminal window, and

tar zxvf firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz

This will unpack the the tar-file, and create a directory (or folder) firefo-installer.

Go to that folder with

cd firefox-installer

and execute the installer script with

sh ./firefox-installer

The ./ is probably unnecessary, but it tell the shell command to look in the current directory which is always indicated with '.'

The rest should be pretty self-eplanatory.

Eternal Lands for Linux

Dowload the zip file from the web site. The zip file itself doesn't extracts in the current directory, which could become a bit messy, so again in a terminal, first create a new directory with

mkdir el

Then change directory to it

cd el

Unzip the file (as '.' always refers to the current directory, '..' always refers to one directory up)

unzip ../el_101.zip

The next thing is a bit tricky. Linux will only execute files if they are indicated as such, i.e. their executable bit is set. I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that this wasn't the case in the EL distribution. So, do it yourself by

chmod +x ./el.x86.linux.bin

Then you can start the program by

./el.x86.linux.bin

Shockwave Player

IIRC, the player comes as a gzipped tarfile. Unpack it in the same way as firefox, and read the instructions.

Well you open a terminal, and then you type.... :D

Search teh menu, little grasshopper. Look for things like Terminal, Shell, or Console. If all else fails, try to find a 'Run Command' option and type 'gterm' (if using Gnome) or 'konsole' (if using KDE) or perhaps even 'xterm'.

Red Hat is dead... you should be using a successor, ie. Fedora Core 1 at least. Red Hat (Non-enterprise) was stopped years ago, and doesn't support newer hardware...

I have newer hardware?? Since when?? Did Grandma get it for me for Christmas or what??

The other thing who's going to get it to me? you? I'm not gonna bug my teacher again.

Also what do I do when I've got the text in the terminal?? (I am so confused (confuzzled))

Edited by Aerowind

It's more than a year ago, that I stopped using redhat. I used FC 1 for some months after this before I switched to another distro. This is what I remember.

RedHat comes with a rpm graphical package manager. It's in the system tools menu and you need root privileges to actually install packages. Depending on how old your release of redhat is, firefox might or might not be available in the package manger.

For EL stick to the description Grum already told you.

As far as I know, you can download the shockwave player after you have installed firefox, from the firefox plugin website. But it may also be a separate rpm package available for it.

Try the following commands from a command line to get info about the availability:

rpm -q firefox
rpm -q shockwave

Reading this thread, I strongly urge you to stick to Leeloo's suggestion. Linux is quite different from windows. It has a completely different philosophy from windows. Windows tries to hide as much system details as possible from the users, cause it assumes, the user is unfamiliar with those system topics. So to secure the OS, those functionality is hidden. Linux on the other side doesn't hide anything, instead it assumes the user knows what s/he is doing. It does nothing without being asked. This confuses many linux newbies, as they now must perform system tasks that were formerly done by the OS without being asked.

<edit>typos</edit>

Edited by Malaclypse

Well I want to be good with computers and getting familiar with linux is one of those ways. I want to become a computer programmer so, pardon me if I'm just trying to learn.

Well i figured out how to install some of the things the main one I can't figure out is EL

Well if you're not giving more information, we can't help you can we? I've given an extemnsive review on how to install EL above. Follow that, tell me where you fail, and post the damn error message.

blah I got it working but it's to damn slow to play

Well I want to be good with computers and getting familiar with linux is one of those ways.  I want to become a computer programmer so, pardon me if I'm just trying to learn.

Well I didn't mention to not try linux and use it for learning :unsure: I just stated that there are better ways and it may actually be easier if you first can play around and learn some basics from a live cd instead of immediately diving in installing an operating system. Much more as you don't know much about os installation as you said.

FPS=0

Video Card:

Type: RIVA TNT2

Memory Size: 32 megabytes

Edit: Sorry to bother you but where can i find that info (I could only find the video card)

Edited by Aerowind

You can look up with your package manager whether there any nvidia packages installed.

rpm -qa *nvidia*

should show you any packages that contain the word nvdia. You will need nvidia kernel driver, as well as nvidia glx driver (for X) installed.

You can try (as root)

/bin/lsmod | grep nvidia

to see if there currently is any nvidia driver loaded by the kernel, and you can try (as normal user)

grep nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf

to check whether the glx drivers for X get loaded (replace xorg.conf in the previous example with XF86Config if you still use XFree server instead of X.org server).

HtH Mala

What the hell is a DRI (meh soon I'm gonna setup double boot)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO well can someone tell me how to set it up :D