Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
behindthemask08

The Reason

Ok, About 2 weeks ago I stopped playing EL for a little while because I got very busy. Today I signed back on and realized...

THERE IS NO POINT TO THE GAME!

Yes, I know, this sounds bad, but it is true. You may play this game forever yet you still will have not gained the pinnacle of this game. Because there is no point, there can never be an an end, so you will ahve gained nothing.

You may respond "But I just play to get away from the real world" or "If it goes on forever, the fun will be endless, right?".

I acknowledge that you may have fun playing it. But just try this. Stop playing for 7 days. When you get back on you will realize the ridiculousness of this game. To tell you the truth, the real world is actually more fun than any game you will find (suprise, suprise).

I can understand Entropy's and Roja's passion for EL, they are running a business, and I apologize to them for this post, I just hate to let other people waste time.

Thanks you for reading this, if you think this is and absolutely contemptible idea, please tell me why, and whatelse you think. But before you start flaming me about how stupid I am, please just try what I suggested above. If nothing else, you will have learned self-discipline.

Good-bye.

If someone can show me 5 secret places in the game(other than the cave beneath IP tavern, which everyone knows about.), they will get 50k in gold.

Thank you again.

Well, I think there is a point to the game: to have fun, and make & chat with friends :huh: And if those things are not important in your life, then they should be ;) Of course there are many ways to do those things, and a mmorpg is just one out of many ways.

behindthemask, i assume you're a hockey player, so i'll look past your closed-mindedness and get straight to the point.

I think it's pretty funny how you say 'take 7 days off'. that was actually the exact thing that used to be very common among people who were getting tired of EL. when they felt bored, people would tell them to take a week off, come back, and that always got them back into the fun of the game environment. if you dont like the game, that's your opinion. but to come into a community of people who love something and tell everyone that they shouldnt love it, that is not OK. everone is entitled to their own opinion, but what is really the point of this post?

would you go into a "Dr. Pepper Lover's Club" (if it existed) and start talking about how it affects your dental health when you drink soda and soda is bad and you should take a week away from soda and see that you dont need it and so on and so on and so on

if we play this game, it's cuz we like it. don't try to tell us that it is bad to like it. thats like telling next to open a dictionary :huh:

The point of an rpg is to mimic a reality like our world. But give it flavor to let us live a fantasy. Our world has no point either, but i wouldnt recomend quitting life most days.

Edited by SlyEagle

I don't think he was trying to tell us it was bad to like it....but from one perspective, yes this game, like all other games, is pointless :) But then, from that perspecitive..and others, so is everything else in life....all pointless :D

Thanks Roja lets all just go kill ourselves now lol

wait, now i'm hipocritical...disreguard that last comment.

Edited by SlyEagle

First point of the game to me. Someplace to have fun while my child is asleep. Trying and living in the real world is what we do all day every day. But in the real world it is frowned upon to for parents to leave their sleeping children alone and go out and play. This game allows me entertainment after my child is asleep. I can battle monsters and make potions instead of sitting on the couch mindless watching re-runs.

Second point is the friends and community. Yes outside the game we can call and write and chat on messengers, and I do. But in game I can do it all at once. It is a giant international conference call--Free. In GM or PM or channels I am talking to 6-8 nations all at once free and we are together. Try and juggle that conferance call in real life. Wow the phone company would love you.

~~Sandcastle

To some point, I completely Agree with him. The game doesn't really have a point. I mean, the general purpose of any game is to Finish it; to win (Or at least to have fun if you must lose) but you have to agree, you can't finish a game that itself is not yet finished.

My friend (the one who actually introduced me to this game) quit paying over a year ago because he to failed to see the point in the game. He thought that the game was getting stale and started to lose interest in it. But to me, this ISwhere the fun is. To see it get finished! To be here while it's being made and watching it evolve and maybe, just maybe, even help it to evolve if possible.

To me, this is the game; To help create a virtual world and then watch it grow.

Much like a Writer who Writes books for others to read. Do you think Any other Game maker makes games only for themselves to play? No, They do this for you. Sure, it's long, hard work but to actually see it come to fruition, That's why Ent and Roja and Company spead their time on a game that doesn't (YET) have a point. And it's why I spend so much time here too. (Well, that and I have no real life).

Edited by Kami

Behind, I tried the 7-day thing. Not of my own free will (I was vacationing at my grandparents' house ... they have a dial-up connection and a comp with 64mb of memory and win 98.) and I just couldn't stop thinking of EL. So I downloaded EL, (about 4 hours) installed it, turned off all the features (and turned on poor man) and played. Just to get to talk to people. If you really think this game has no point, go around and start to talk to people. You'll find that this game is very fun if you just socialize. And actually, real life sucks. Play EL for 7 days straight (yeah, take breaks to eat, drink, etc.) and you'll find that real life is ridiculous.

mmorpgs in general cant really have much of a point simply because a end goal means just that...the end.so having a point in mmorpgs is bad. maybe to add some flavor to the game roja and ent can do a first come first serve type quest with better rewards for the first to try and complete it. something such as a unique character model or armor. (armor non transferable and only looks cool but has low stats) things like that.

Those are all really valid points and now I understand partly why many people play this game for so long. What I don't understand is why anyone would sit there and click mix 5000 times to make alot of FE's or potions.

The part that makes me think this is a waste of time is the endless monotony of it, and after you do something 10,000 times, it gets boring.

Sandcastle - I can understand why you would want to get away from the real world for a little while. But making a ton of potions is alot like watching reruns on TV. Why not read a great book, like George Orwells "Animl Farm" or "1984". Or learn to write HTML or whateer motivates you. Yes, sometimes those things get boring, so that would be the time to rejuveate through zombieing out.

Kami - I really like the idea of watching the game grow, and I liked doing that for a while. But what do you get out of virtual world the helps you in real life?

Roja - Tell me what is pointless about raising a baby boy into a strong young man with good ideals? Or that young man dying to free an oppressed people froma cruel dictator? Life is far from pointless. So that would be #1 stupidest comment i have ever heard. So from that perspective - like Eagle said - lets just go killl ourselves.

Yes all games are point less, but they have an overall goal, to destroy the enemy, gain the treasure and whatnot. And that is what I believe this game lacks, and people when trying to find the end of EL, waste precious time looking for it.

Thanks for your comments.

I really like the idea of having a quest that encompasses everything (thank you Dragburn).

When I was a Noob I got godless, then reset just so there would be a point where I could see I was done.

I understand that people like the community, and having friends in the game. That is great, finding people that are interested in the same things as you.

I t is unhealthy to be obsessed with a game this much. I know, for a period of about 2 months I did nothing but EL. Now I see what i could have done in that time.

Thanks for your comments.

What if you're like me, and you don't click click click, mix mix mix, kill kill kill? :D

Relax sometimes. EL isn't about leveling...it's about having fun in whatever way you can on the game. To me, (and of course I'm a little biased because I've been playing this game for nearly two years, and when it ceased to work on my computer for months at a time...well...I returned with a whole notebook-full of EL ideas...I barely remembered what the maps looked like, but the impression lived on), to me simply WALKING FROM ONE END OF ISLA PRIMA TO THE OTHER makes me happy... ;)

Hmm...I think it's time I present my "idea" to Roja...

my mom gave me a ****load of sites that are somewhat towards this. the truth is mmorpgs have no end, but there is always a point. it also said that after a month i wouldn't be friends with people, they are wrong as hell there. I still keep up with a lot of my old el friends, or try to. Now that my computer has been reloaded i dont' really have any way of doing that besides e mail. blah blah etc etc. REally when i read all the sites about "online" games and friends, i kept thinking, oh yeah really that's cool because i am fine with internet people and friends doing this and that.

LIKE WHOA OMG I AM ADDICTED. yeah addicted my arse, mmorpgs are games that even with el or free ones, nothing compares too. i play halo 2,fable....do i get that feeling that people give. in an mmorpg you know somebody is behind the character you see. in other games it's just a comptuer no matter how much you try to get clse to it, it only has a simulated program it can do. even in a game like the sims there is only so man possiblities to responses and actions.

If your going to play a game make it a mmorpg or some online game.

Also mmorpgs are more then likely used as escapes from life to hang with friends, like omg they aren't your friends, and talk while doing something to pass the time.

Why not read a great book, like George Orwells "Animl Farm" or "1984". Or learn to write HTML or whateer motivates you. Yes, sometimes those things get boring, so that would be the time to rejuveate through zombieing out.

Roja - Tell me what is pointless about raising a baby boy into a strong young man with good ideals? Or that young man dying to free an oppressed people froma cruel dictator? Life is far from pointless. So that would be #1 stupidest comment i have ever heard. So from that perspective - like Eagle said - lets just go killl ourselves.

Ive never read Animl Farm, but I have read Animal Farm and if anything that book reinforces the need to escape man.

(for those of you who are illiterate ^_^ its about a farm that the animals take over and originally start as a version of the usa but it slowly turns corrupted as the pigs(intellegent) become power corrupted.. It's meant as a comparison to man.)[and I will say man as much as I want, to hell with feminists]

Not everyone has babies, I for one dont.

When do you encounter this dictator situation outside of games?

I have recently been thinking about WHY I play mmorpg's, and If i had not come up with this reason i would not be here.

People-The people are what ultimatly matters in an online game, it does not matter how good the game is, if you dont know anyone who plays it and everyone that plays it are cold assholes, then it defeats the purpose of doing it.

I play EL SOLELY for the people, because recently the game itself has began to suck.(blah blah no offense etc,but it is the truth.) If not for people like TirasHazor, Learner, Roja, *co* and others, I would not have played this game more than a few weeks.

Don't forget.. each generation is leaving the relics of the past behind them, we are progressing towards a technologically advanced and oriented socety, and this means games will have a HUGE growth soon, much more than before.

It is your opinion what to do with your time however, but always.. always spend it wisely. Never miss something for any game, no matter how important it might seem.

Saddam Huessin in Iraq, which as of Jan 1, 2005 alomst 1400 combatants have been killed. and an estimated 10,000 noncombatants dead.

I was using animal farm as an example of great literature.

And what is

Ive never read Animl Farm, but I have read Animal Farm

???

Anyway, I prefer to talk to people in real life, where I can interact with them and do something more than talk.

Of course it is your choice what to do with your time, but spend it wisely - just like rebootedrock says.

Thanks

I have not taken a week offa EL but I have taken about 3 days. When i'm not playig EL it's the only thing i'm thinking about. Even when i'm talking to my freinds i realize how much they are like my friends in EL. They act like them and even talk like them.

Saddam Huessin in Iraq, which as of Jan 1, 2005 alomst 1400 combatants have been killed. and an estimated 10,000 noncombatants dead.

I was using animal farm as an example of great literature.

And what is

Ive never read Animl Farm, but I have read Animal Farm

???

- just like rebootedrock says.

In real life when do you become a real man that actually stops a dictator? never.

you misspelled animal farm the first time.

i like that last part :angry:

I didn;t stop a day since I install the game ( one day perhaps to format my PC)

I like to play for a simple reason....... to forget real life (ad here whatever dissapointed outthere)

I agree that do harvest alchemy etc its not the most intresting in the world but everyday u discovered something new in el and u realised that the game has no ending and thats the good thing as it is at real life

Everyday is a different day

Behindthemask,

I just have to do it. That's right, I'm going to use your own sig against you.

"I had a dream I made love to Rita Hayworth for an hour. Well for her it was an hour, for me it was 35 seconds – that’s relativity"

-Albert Einstein

You clearly understand that perspective (the way something apears relative to another item) is everything. Well the same is true of enjoyment/joy to an extent. For instance, I'm a man in my late 20's, and I'm very happily married, but sometimes... I just cannot stop thinking about the bills, or stresses at work. Humans need a distraction occasionally, that is what books, music, outdoor activities are all about, that's their point. And that is also the 'point' of all games.

No one can declare what is fun, because it is different for all people.

I cannot force you to enjoy EL, I will not even encourage you to enjoy EL.

If you don't find it entertaining than you shouldn't play because it isn't providing the distraction you need.

I couldn't care less about the failure rates, or things costing too much in-game. I'm here for a distraction, and to enjoy that distraction with other people.

I survived 26 years without EL, because there were other distractions, and if EL were to become unavailable, I would find another distraction to replace it.

I have two pieces of encouragement for you

1 Find something that distracts you just the way you like, and do it! Your body and spirit both need it.

2 If you have decided that EL is just not the distraction for you, then I encourage you to give it just one more hour... and give me all the stuff you have in storage! LOL

ooo, ooo let me join in the fray! I must say I have reached Behind's point as well...that being bored with just the game. However...

...there is purpose to EL. That purpose is different for different people. The purpose for me (now) is to learn more about AI, economies and societal relationships. (I'm a computer science major.) Since I'm playing EL less these days, I'm doing what Tum does...ponder ways to make it better. Frankly my some of my ideas are quite radical and have already been shot down. But that doesn't stop the learning experience. Who knows, I may make my own someday. :)

...there is purpose to life. Please don't kill yourselves yet. God created Adam with a job and a purpose. The job was to name animals and watch over them. The purpose was to give God glory in whatever Adam does (this doesn't always mean shouting God's praises or annoying other people in the land of Nod). Since we are decendants from Adam, the logical conclusion is that our purpose is to glorify God in the job that we do. Granted the vast majority of the world doesn't acknowledge this as true. That's called free will. You have a God-given ability to ignore God. :( Though I don't recommend it. God's underworld is a little less forgiving than EL's...oh...and there's no exit.

ps> I did bring up spiritual matters here. If you feel the need to disagree with me, that's fine. The Flames section of the forums is open for business. See you there!

*sighs*

If you want to live in a delusion, be my guest. But please, try to be a bit more considerate to those who don't believe your myth.

And no, I'm not taking this to flames. If you want to do a name-calling match, find someone else to play with.

*sighs*

If you want to live in a delusion, be my guest. But please, try to be a bit more considerate to those who don't believe your myth.

And no, I'm not taking this to flames. If you want to do a name-calling match, find someone else to play with.

and what delusion are you under grum?