Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enlia

Books

Hi all,

Yesterday evening (circa 9pm GMT) there was a bit of a discussion about books in the newbie channel....So instead of upsetting any mods (!) I thought it'd be good to have a thread with people's favourites books or any books you really couldn't stand, cos I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm always looking out for new authors to read :(

Anyway, I'll start off with some of the best books I've read in a while -

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde. Fantastically surreal book & funny. Alternate world-type setting, but not traditional fantasy or sci-fi. I think there's about 2 sequels so far, but check this one out first & if you like it, go for the others.

The Black Magician's Guild - Trudi Canavan. Fantasy trilogy that doesn't reek of cliche :D and is a great read to boot.

These'll do for starters, I'm sure to think of more if other people join in :)

Enlia.

The Magician- Raymond E Feist

-Great story, read it now ~~Slave

The Chronicles Of Narnia

-Its old, but who cares? its still good

alot more but i cant remember the names of 3 other good series of books >.>

Ohh i almost forgot, this series of books is childish, but still i find them funny and enjoyable (like how i can still read dr seuss and enjoy it)

A Series of unfortunant Events by lemony Sniket

they also made it into a movie staring john carrey

The Magician- Raymond E Feist

-Great story, read it now ~~Slave

The Chronicles Of Narnia

-Its old, but who cares? its still good

alot more but i cant remember the names of 3 other good series of books >.>

Read the Magician already.... It is a good story. I loved Feist's Daughter of the Empire series (written with Janny Wurtz I think?, I could be wrong). Oriental-style setting, with good strong female characters :(

Chronicles of Narnia, or at least, the Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe has been made into a play - there was something on the local news about it the other night, now that would be worth seeing, just to see how they've managed to do some of the effects.

Have you read any of David Edding's stuff? His characters are great - the Pandion Knights make me laugh out loud, particularly Sir Bevier.... The plotlines are a bit predictable, but the quality of the character's makes this a forgiveable sin

no i havent, but ill look into it, thanks :(

Edding's has a number of different series - there's the Belgariad & Mallorean (think these are the right spellings).

The pandion knights turn up in the Elenium series & the Tamuli series, and I think they're some of the most entertaining knight's I've read :)

Ok my reading lvl ranges from child to adult so sue me if you dont happen to like my tastes in books and or authors but here goes

Any quartet writen by Tamora Pierce (theres a few of them!! all very good reads promise)

The Enchanted forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede (4 books total)

So you want to be a wizard, series Diane Duane

Circle of three series by Isobel Bird

anything by Annete Curtis Klause (i have yet to find a book she wrote that i dont like) but Blood and Chocolate is a good starter or Silver Kiss

then theres L.J. Smith she writes a very wide varity of fanisy but i loved her "Night world" run and the Vampire Diarys, Forbiddin game, and dark visions sets

The Starlight Crysstal by Christopher Pike, and just about anything else by him espacily the "rember me" set

You cant say you have lived life till you at least try to read a Douglas Adams book, like Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency, or the Hitch hickers guild to the galaxy trilogy, or the long dark tea-time of the soul

any thing by madilen L'Engle

and then for the more serious or adultish

Jodi Picoult --the pact-- she writes a few others but i havent gotten the time to read them

A time for David (cant rember the author)

ok that covers the books i can see on the fount of my book shelf and i am to lazy to walk over there and actully look and i think if i actully used my brain to think it would explode happy reading :P

Emby

The Sword of Truth Series (any and ALL are great) Terry Goodkind

The Crown of shadows (the series is great but i'm having a brain fart on the name of it all, C. S. Friedman)

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card, didn't like the rest of the series)

The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald ...speaks for itself!)

The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck...great book!)

Liked the Magician also!

The Wheel of Time series is pretty good, by Robert Jordan

The Sword of Shannera Etc. good books, by Terry Brooks.

The Alienist (Good crime/whodunnit book, based on true story)

EDIT: LV Peirs Anthony can be pretty confusing, sometimes boring. BUT the White Dragon was a pretty good book. read a couple of others a long time ago...perhaps i should give another run at it

Don't reads!

McTigue (SP) Depressing book!

The Jungle ...informative, but depressing also!

This is all i can think of right now. I'll come back later with some other good book.

Edited by Quinticus

The Chronicles Of Narnia r0x, movies was good too. Huh. And Newbie Channel is usually not so much moderated.

Regards.

Feist rocks, so does Robert Jordan. Other books I really enjoyed reading:

Catch-22 (Joseph Heller?)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

The world according to Garp (John Irving)

Alice in Wonderland ... don't laugh, it's a good book! (Lewis Carroll)

The name of the rose (Umberto Eco)

Don't read:

The Satanic Verses (Salman Rushdie). Only Boccaccio's Decamerone is more boring.

Don't read:

The Satanic Verses (Salman Rushdie). Only Boccaccio's Decamerone is more boring.

Never read it, but I would rather give myself papercuts on my eyeballs than read "A Farewell to Arms" again. Man, that book sucked.

Some books I like (in no particular order):

The Catcher in the Rye

To Kill a Mockingbird

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence

Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid

Les Miserables

Lord of the Rings

I'm considering reading the Silmarillion over XMas break. I have jury duty for my first week off, I wonder if they would let me bring it along . . . :rolleyes:

Damn, completely forgot that. One of the best I ever read.

Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid

On my TODO list :rolleyes:

Are you serious about catcher in the rye? We have to read it in english and it makes me want to BURN every single one of those books I see.

Catcher in the rye is a flagged book, if you buy it your flagged!

Lots of great books list..... i need to find my old list

of great books i have read before i got so hooked to

the net lol... I owned a book store for a few years and

got to keep what books i had left when i close the store.

Books i like.

Lord of the Rings

All Tom Clancy books, got very hooked on them.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Chronicles Of Narnia

Orson Scott Card books, loved them

All Piers Anthony books... use to read his the

day them came out.... good stuff...

The Wheel of Time series

All Terry Brooks books...

Just what i can remember now... need to dig

in my boxes..lol...

well i like most anything by Tolkien :) and ive read "the chronicles of narnia" they were great and the "Dark is Rising" series was amazing also and one other is the "dragonsong" series

Aye, i liked the dark is rising and all terry brooks books to. i especially likes Sky Ship Shanara

Tolkien is good but a little childish.

1984 is my favorite book, points to sig

Animal Farm is good too, also George Orwell

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair is interesting but a little disgusting in a few spots.

Redwall by Brian Jacques is ok too.

I was thinking about reading a Divine Comedy, anyone read it? Is it a waste of time?

Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card, didn't like the rest of the series)

Quinticus - did you try the newer books that are written from the perspective of some of Ender's cohorts - Bean etc.? They're quite cool. Particularly Bean's one, which I think is called Ender's Shadow?

And Newbie Channel is usually not so much moderated.

True - but if it's here, then more people can read through the list and contribute...

Plus I've no wish to offend the mods, as I'm enjoying Eternal Lands & wouldn't like to get kicked off for bad behaviour.

I was thinking about reading a Divine Comedy, anyone read it? Is it a waste of time?

I just worked my way through it. It's a very good book, but will take some effort to read (although the fact that I read it in English didn't help). If I were you, I'd try to find a copy with annotations, because otherwise you'll probably miss a lot of things.