Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Telgar

Too Many Bots?

Are there too many bots in the game?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Are there too many bots in the game?

• Yes, reduce the number of bots.
    • Yes, Eliminate ALL bots.
    • No, Fine as is.
    • No, we need more!
    • What's a bot? I only see a fork!
    • There is no fork!!!

Do you think there are too many bots in the game? It seems like there are almost as many bots in the game as there are real players sometimes. :blink: What are your thoughts and opinions???? Let's hear from everyone.....

Telgar

And a good portion (about 10?) of those max bots are ants, which won't be here forever anyway...at least, I think.

I agree, even the ants are ok because you can summon some nasties and get them killed!!!!!

I say leave the bots alone....after all, there only human..... :lol: :):D

I think the ants would be cool if learner donated the program to el to use as there own as a pemenant fixture. as far as bots are concerned and nothing against you pltyna. I really get sick of seeing the bots advertise it looks like spam same thing all the time. And theres one bot that keeps saying my name when i pass it. I don't want to be tracked everywhere I go by another person. I consider it an invasion of privacy on what I might be working on. Sure if someone sees me by chance thats cool, but to have a log of who is coming in certain areas is kinda like a plus for some people. Say if someone puts a bot in kf and anounces when people come in that could be harmful. As far as bots i know alot of antisociols do depend on them but they do not provide antisociol items such as wine at a higher price. Heck i am antisociol and would pay 4gp or 5 for wine when I am lazy but the other things they offer are rarer items such as tit armour and swords. Wish I knew how to have a bot I got tons and could be rich too. Well richer hehe.. ok i know this is not the flame channel just my opinion. Later peeps have fun!!!

No. Bots are a part of the game. Accept it. If you want to have a bot, write your own or see other posts where someone has written one for a sourceforge project. Why should learner release his bot for eveyone else to use? That would be stupid, every single person on the game would have at least 1 bot, which would at least double the amount of people online.....Whats the point?

He said donate it to EL, which I read as giving it to Entropy. They are too powerfull to allow most users to run due to the basic design of the program.

Then thats fair enough, but i still think that it would not only ruin in the game but the community as a whole. People would just get sick of bots running around the place.

I agree with Placid. It'd be kind of stupid to have a billion bots owned by everyone running around the server and taking up alot of room. It's best not to donate anything botwise to EL.

Store bots aren't really that bad + they are good for antisocial perks peeps and items not available in stores

Hey - I haven't finished coding my storebot yet.

I'm spending too much time playing instead. :P

There is no fork, of course! :o ph34r teh ph0Rk

(I'm taking it that's the neutral-biased alignment...?)

I'll just say it once, and has been said time and again.

Open source. Great! So you can code C/++. Great. You benefit from the game while others that do not know it, don't. Not so great.

It should only be so easy to just make some items, throw em in your bot to sell and advertise, and you get to go make more items/gather supplies.....other people have to take time from manu-ing to advertise and sell.

Only 100USD, coding know-how, and you too can be a lazy bot-dependant EL player.

Just one of my small peeves about some in-game goings on. Don't pay attention to this rant, it is not a flame, do not turn it into one.

I didn't even vote. Why? It won't make a difference.

Bot is some kind of player developed NPC. So they are giving some flavour to the game like NPCs.

Also, you don't have to use bot or talk with him like Adarah, Charon, Linux, Nelson - they live their

own life and if you want to interact with them or not it depends of you.

And about the server...it is prepared for 1000 players and there are only 300 hanging around, so

there is plenty of space to use now it is 768 places to use so I think there is enought

for players and for bots at the moment.

Regards.

It sucks though that Antisocial people can buy from bots...in a while bots will have everything so Antisicial Perk will just be more PP

It sucks though that Antisocial people can buy from bots...in a while bots will have everything so Antisicial Perk will just be more PP

People who get antisocial arer fighters...they go through a LOT of stuff. If you haven't noticed, the bots log off when the host is turned off (and never seem to have what I need...except Nera selling iron chain for 500 gold... if having to pay 500 gold for an item I can easily ask my guild to make me for 150 [maybe 200...], please explain...)

Antisocial was meant to people with it to search help from other players...anyway there is good example

of Charon - he sells rings to people with hellspawn, he sells more expensive than in shop. Why?

To not make hellspawn so easy. 150 for ring is anyway not much if you see production costs anyway

Charon makes life of people with hellspawn easier but they need to pay for his help. ;-)

Regards.

Well, the point is (as Jride pointed out), the people who know how to program and are able to make a selling bot, or however you wanna call them, have a big advantage over those who can't make such a bot. If you don't have a bot, you need to spend a lot of time trying to sell items and people who have a bot can just continue to make more items while their bot sells their items for them. I don't have a problem with bots, just you shouldn't have an advantage over those who haven't got one.

In computers world people who has programming skills always had, have and will have advantage.

If everyone would be able to make a bot there would be whole server full of bots, because everyone

will have one or two. Since this game is mostly played by kids, programmists and sysadmins (okay,

they all are kids, just various kinds of them ;D) bots are something completly natural and obvious.

Learner is happy while developing his ants, Antiroot is happy developing Nelson, Grum behaves like

proud daddy because of his Nera, Cpp is teenager who instead of jerking around is training his

programming skills while writing Adarah, people are PMing Linux "Thank you honey" or ";*" after

finishing trade so it is nice. ;-)

Regards.

ok, I don't want to turn this into a complaining topic, so let me know if I should shut up :D But anyway I'd like to make a few more comments. First of all, I don't have a problem with the ants at all. They don't lag the server nor do they put any disadvantages for any ppl in the game. However the trading bots put a lot of disadvantages for a lot of ppl in the game. I can accept the fact that the bots give advantages to the one who created it, someone has a certain skill (programming) so they can use it, that's fine. The part I don't like is that a normal alchemist or manufacturer can barely sell their items anymore. You can say that the prices of the bots are much higher than the current prices for which ppl trade items. However, the prices of the items that the bot offers are made lower and lower and thus reducing the prices in the market. Call it what you want, but I know some ppl will call it ruining the market. The only advantage that trading bots bring are for the owners, that would be practising programming and selling items. Just my 2 cents, don't hate me for it :D

GP

the bots are fine, now some1 sed tht learners shudn't be handed over to el (ie ent)

erm, y, tht won't make the slightest difference.

but seriously, bots are getting more common, the original ants and tradebots were to be made and developed with the intention of handing them over to Ent once they were finished so tht we could have some better NPC's and such, like the ants were originally going to being moving npc's if my memory serves me correctly.

also-

tradebots are popping up all over now, they aren't tht big of a problem, but as far as i can see, no1 is sticking to the original idea of developement to further the game, WITH EXCEPTION OF LEARNER and his wonderful little ants :-)

(do the ants hold grudges yet? lol, yes i am an ant fan...)

so if people can just have bots for themselves now, instead of for trying to improve our game, well, why do we even need this pole o.O

my 2 pennies (i don't have cents, am english :) )

IMO the number of tradebots should be cut. It may not be annoying now, but see how many bots appeared in the last... what month? At this rate there will be at least 50 of the buggers in the game soon.

This IS quite useless to buyers, since they all more or less sell the same things, and buy at same prices. And it will lessen REAL player-to-player sales too.

I believe there should be something you have to do, such as a rl payment... Or maybe even put a limit of the bots in-game, I dunno.

Well, just me 2 eurocents anywho...

Blitzo

Heh...I've setup Linux because I have no time to be active enough to sell well, I am usually at work and

even if I am at home I am doing some other stuff so I am halfly AFK, and when I am not AFK I prefer

to go into my NH duties or just buying materials needed to make something, I think same is with Learner.

Anyway after Linux there came alot other bots for example Tendor's one, I told him it is now illegal but

he don't especially care. I think after Linux came one or two more storebots it is not that much.

Regards.